My first Schrade stockman repair

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
gwelker62

My first Schrade stockman repair

Post by gwelker62 »

Picked up this 8OT with no snap left in the clip blade, and very little left in the sheep's foot for my first repair attempt.
IMAG0633.jpg

Thought about trying to drill or cut just the rocker pin to save the barbells, but close examination of the revealed the spring was sank in the frame, figured it was my problem with no snap and worn beyond use. So I just cut it with a razor blade.
IMAG0632.jpg
Looks like the user of this knife didn't know about oiling the joints... ::facepalm::
IMAG0635.jpg
IMAG0634.jpg

Now I need some rocker and through bolster pins. Any of you experienced repairmen know what size I need to get, so my lazy arse don't have to look it up. ::tounge::
just bob

Re: My first Schrade stockman repair

Post by just bob »

“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Both the rocker & pivot pins should be about .082".
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

The rockers are .082" but the pivots are measuring at .092".
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I had watched that vid a while back. It kinda convinced me I could give a Schrade repair a try. I noticed he used dowel stock and not the common pins sold on feebay and other places. Wonder if the dowel stock is what I should use?
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Good luck check out Muskrat Man video. ::tu::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44CxU2wtOk
Keep Near the Cross.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Use straight pin it's much more versatile. Use 3/32" for everything. Brass brazing rod from the hardware store will work for the rocker, pivots should be nickel. Unless you plan to order a bunch the knife supply houses gouge shipping. If you just need one or two lengths I'll send you a couple pieces at cost.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

gwelker62 wrote:I had watched that vid a while back. It kinda convinced me I could give a Schrade repair a try. I noticed he used dowel stock and not the common pins sold on feebay and other places. Wonder if the dowel stock is what I should use?
Dowel stock?
I have not heard that term applied to metal pens or rods before. What do you mean by "dowel stock" and how is that different from the pin stock sold by Jantz Supply, K & G, and all the other Knife Makers supply houses?

The only brass and nickel silver stock I have purchased in the US is made by K & S Precision Metals. The newer ones are in the red packages and some of the older stock comes in the plastic sleeve with a stick on label. The package on the left is branded "Albron Alloys" and that I ordered from the UK through a UK eBay seller. Some metric sizes of nickel silver pins are not readily available here in the US. The .9 MM is equal to .0354 inches. Not a size I used often, but certainly not one I want to have to make when I need it.
Pin Stock.jpg
The other sources I have found for dimensional brass wire are hobby supply companies dealing with beads. I have purchased small rolls of nickel silver and brass why are from such companies, and the wire is indeed the correct size. What I didn't know is that brass and nickel silver can be tempered just like steel. The wire is usually offered in two different degrees of hardness: "half hard," and "dead soft." I was pretty sure dead soft was not what I wanted to pin knives with so I ordered the "half hard" wire. When it arrived I found that the half hard brass & nickel silver were too soft to use as pins. The spring tension in a slip joint can bend a half hard pin and the pivot holes of the blades will quickly wear it out.

Basically the only type of pins that I have found acceptable in knife repair is the brass and nickel silver pin stock offered by Jantz and other knife maker supply houses, my local hardware stores will sell K & S brass pin stock, and a number of sellers on eBay from whom I have purchased K & S brass and nickel silver pin stock. If there is another source of dimensional brass and nickel silver pans (aside from purchasing premade pins) I would love to hear about it!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

orvet wrote:
gwelker62 wrote:I had watched that vid a while back. It kinda convinced me I could give a Schrade repair a try. I noticed he used dowel stock and not the common pins sold on feebay and other places. Wonder if the dowel stock is what I should use?
Dowel stock?
I have not heard that term applied to metal pens or rods before. What do you mean by "dowel stock" and how is that different from the pin stock sold by Jantz Supply, K & G, and all the other Knife Makers supply houses?

The only brass and nickel silver stock I have purchased in the US is made by K & S Precision Metals. The newer ones are in the red packages and some of the older stock comes in the plastic sleeve with a stick on label. The package on the left is branded "Albron Alloys" and that I ordered from the UK through a UK eBay seller. Some metric sizes of nickel silver pins are not readily available here in the US. The .9 MM is equal to .0354 inches. Not a size I used often, but certainly not one I want to have to make when I need it.
Pin Stock.jpg

The other sources I have found for dimensional brass wire are hobby supply companies dealing with beads. I have purchased small rolls of nickel silver and brass why are from such companies, and the wire is indeed the correct size. What I didn't know is that brass and nickel silver can be tempered just like steel. The wire is usually offered in two different degrees of hardness: "half hard," and "dead soft." I was pretty sure dead soft was not what I wanted to pin knives with so I ordered the "half hard" wire. When it arrived I found that the half hard brass & nickel silver were too soft to use as pins. The spring tension in a slip joint can bend a half hard pin and the pivot holes of the blades will quickly wear it out.

Basically the only type of pins that I have found acceptable in knife repair is the brass and nickel silver pin stock offered by Jantz and other knife maker supply houses, my local hardware stores will sell K & S brass pin stock, and a number of sellers on eBay from whom I have purchased K & S brass and nickel silver pin stock. If there is another source of dimensional brass and nickel silver pans (aside from purchasing premade pins) I would love to hear about it!
I believe pinstock is what he was referring to as "dowel" .VS. the premade pins from leftover factories that he sees floating around on ebay

I use some nickel jewelry wire but for pinning shields and sometimes handles. It's a pain turning down 1/16" stock to pin a shield or handle with a tiny hole. Soft wire is actually better for this in my experience because it forms a head very easily reducing the risk of cracking the handle. Of course you can't have the pin too long or the soft wire will bend when you strike it wit ha hammer
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

In this context, "dowel stock" would refer to a cut to length section of rod used to hold something together. Was just using terminology I was more familiar with from the wood working and mechanic's world.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Took a second 8OT apart. This one I just drilled the rocker pin head off and pushed it out so I could possibly saved the barbells.
IMAG0659.jpg
But as I feared since it didn't have any snap left, the spring is worn. Anybody ever recondition these springs by welding a little material in the worn area?
IMAG0661.jpg
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

gwelker62 wrote:Took a second 8OT apart. This one I just drilled the rocker pin head off and pushed it out so I could possibly saved the barbells. IMAG0659.jpg

But as I feared since it didn't have any snap left, the spring is worn. Anybody ever recondition these springs by welding a little material in the worn area?IMAG0661.jpg
Yes, if done with care it is very effective.

As a side note, working on schrades basically approach any repair expecting to drill out and repin everything, if a knife is used and/or worn to the point it has a problem the swinden rivets are usually part of that problem
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

muskrat man wrote:As a side note, working on schrades basically approach any repair expecting to drill out and repin everything, if a knife is used and/or worn to the point it has a problem the swinden rivets are usually part of that problem
Excuse me for asking a newb question, but what is a swinden "rivet"?
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

The "barbells" you have been referring to
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Ah, I see. Never heard of em referred to as rivets before. When I was researching the Swinden Key design most folks referred to them as the key or barbells.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

You can bend the spring to gain some snap too, just make sure you bend it just forward of the center pin hole, and not too much, a little goes a long way. You may have to re-grind the back a bit because the geometry might be thrown off, but it saves you the trouble of welding and grinding the spring. Trace the outline of the spring on some paper so you can gauge how much you're bending it.

Eric
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Look.... I'm trying to justify buying another welding machine. So don't be offering up any ideas that would be an alternatives to such. 8) ::nod::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

gwelker62 wrote:Look.... I'm trying to justify buying another welding machine. So don't be offering up any ideas that would be an alternatives to such. 8) ::nod::
George I'm with you buddy. I think you need one of those 30k laser welders. Please report back! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Oh wow Greg.... if'n I had one of them there laser welders... I'd be the coolest kid on the block! 8)

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”