What about Naval Jelly?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Captain O

What about Naval Jelly?

Post by Captain O »

Since Naval Jelly has been around for 60 years, would it be useful for removing major rust deposits on a knife before beginning to sand? It might shorten the process without damaging the blade.

Opinions?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What about Naval Jelly?

Post by btrwtr »

I have used naval jelly to remove rust on old fixed blade knives in the past with good results. Using a stiff bristle tooth brush or a 0000 steel wool the jelly does a good job of cleaning off the rust with no damage to the knife. Just wash it off with warm water and dry thoroughly when done. Not sure if anyone else has used this before for knives but it worked well for me.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
just bob

Post by just bob »

I'm of the opinion that it is better to use what you have on hand instead of running out and buying the latest thing every time something new comes along. I have used Naval Jelly and it works as well as anything I have tried and much better than some of the newer environmental friendly products. My recollection is that it left the blade with a really flat appearance and took all of the shine off of it. Without a buffer or a lot of hand work it is hard to get the blade back to anything near a mirror or shiny finish. I guess it depends on what you're going to use the knife for when you're done.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I have an acquaintance with an Old Hickory Butcher knife that is dirty and has a deep rusty pit or two. Shiny appearance isn't a great concern. After the treatment beveling the blade and honing to a decent edge is. :)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Naval jelly is acid - use with care. Not the best product for pocket knives but if that's all you've got........... Of course it will remove rust, it was developed for that. As pointed out, it will tarnish polished metal. It may damage other parts of a knife such as handles, springs, etc especially if you don't get all of it neutralized or removed - water will work but need to rinse thoroughly. Don't get it on your skin, eyes, etc.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

Thought this was interesting and pretty much says it all.

https://metalworking-blacksmithing.knoj ... t-remover/
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like it could work on blades. But, to reiterate per Loctite Naval Jelly insert :

"Do not use on aluminium, chrome, stainless steel, cement, fiberglass, marble, plastics or painted surfaces"

in other words be careful......on your other knife parts.

Never used it, but I am sure the blade will end up in a satin finish.

Bob
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

This is why it is only to be used on an Old Hickory Butcher knife. There's no fear of damaging any painted services. (Believe me, the knife desparately needs help).

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”