Spinners...

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Darksev

Spinners...

Post by Darksev »

as in the Pin variety...

I know a long while back there were a few discussion threads going around about them. I've been flush fitting pins for years, but I really would like to do some spun pins on a few knives. The consensus was it wasn't worth the shipping cost for the commercially available spinners from TKS or Jantz. I saw a few threads that involved making them from set screws or nail-sets. I figured I'd give both a try.

I picked up a few Starrett 4/32 nailsets the other day, and cut a few slots into it with a small triangle file. It does round off the heads, but virtually no expansion whatsoever (and the amount of pressure required in the drill press to get even that is such that I'm not comfortable with it, what with being a drill press victim in the past ::teary_eyes:: )
spin1.JPG
My thoughts are maybe I need a slightly shallower "dish" in the center, like the angles are to steep as is. Next step is to probably get out the dremel and some round diamond bits and take care of that.

Open to suggestions going forward.
Bill DeShivs

Re: Spinners...

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The only reason to use a head spinner is in production work-or restoration of production work that used spun heads.
Rounded heads are easily obtained by peening an then buffing the exposed pin heads.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

The restoration/replication of factory spun heads is mostly what I was looking at.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The only reason to use a head spinner is in production work-or restoration of production work that used spun heads.
Rounded heads are easily obtained by peening an then buffing the exposed pin heads.
Are you successful in buffing a pin until it is rounded when it is in a Delrin® handle?
My experience has been that Delrin® melts in 2 or 3 seconds on a muslin or felt wheel.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
g.thatsalotofblood

Post by g.thatsalotofblood »

would have to agree with Dale. unless you want a melted/messed up scale, spinners can come in mighty handy
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

So do cupped punches.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter