Playing with knife parts?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
#goldpan

Playing with knife parts?

Post by #goldpan »

Ok, so I had some parts laying around that were meant to go together as a hawkbill. I noticed that the bolsters were not the same thickness and the liners were not the same size even though they were the same shape. I also had some miss-matched stag. ::shrug:: I says to myself ::hmm:: , "What can I do with this junk, I don't want to throw it all away.". I thought for a moment and came up with an idea. I can make a custom sheep's foot. I figured it would come out usable but damned ugly.
20160418_154357.jpg
20160421_201753.jpg
All in all I think it came out alright for an experiment. The poorly matched stag makes the knife look like it was bent out of shape. Its not though. If it were not for the fact that I bent the liner on one side it would look pretty good! ::smirk::
20160421_200126.jpg
20160421_200152.jpg
20160421_200112.jpg
20160421_200246.jpg

Its definitely a user. Not quite a POS. Due to the bent liner leaving a gap along the spring and causing one bolster to pull away a bit it aint purty. But it came out better than I thought it would. Playing with knife....parts can be fun!
XX Case XX

Re: Playing with knife parts?

Post by XX Case XX »

Always enjoy looking at your work Randy. You're quite the craftsman. I'd say that one qualifies for a "Workhorse" knife. Very nice job. ::nod::

Post by #goldpan »

Thanks Mike!
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I wouldn't say that stag is that mismatched. Ive seen some stag and antler that was all over the place.

Looks good to me!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice work dude!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Great job Randy. Was that liner already bent or did that happen in the process. Tell us which parts you used from those pictured
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Greg in the opening pic the group on the right is what the grouping on the left looked like before I used the stag and ground down the blade. I bought a bunch of these parts from Kaleb last year. ::tu:: He said that he thought the parts came from Queen. I am not sure of the era. But they do look old. The liners came with walnut on them. Some were in good shape and others were dried out beyond saving. ::teary_eyes:: The stag replaced some bad walnut. Instead of building a hawkbill I thought I would make a sheep's foot for using in the shop.

The liner was bent by me. I was pretty careless in slapping this one together and bent the liner at the bolster.I could have fixed it had I been paying attention. ::facepalm::

Thanks for the kind words Glenn. I have never used precut stag. I always cut my stag in matching pieces from the same animal. The slabs on this knife were from different animals, so I consider them mismatched. If not for the bent liner I would be more than happy with how this one turned out.

Here is a couple of pics of the OP knife with two other knives that I put together from the parts that I got from Kaleb.
20160425_085922.jpg
20160425_085857.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well Randy we all get hasty from time to time so we'll give you a mulligan on that but it still looks great and the hawkbills are fantastic. I love those wood handles on a knife.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”