Schrade 124UH Rehab

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade 124UH Rehab

Post by orvet »

I had a Schrade SC524 advertising knife that an AAPK member had sent me a long time ago.
The blade was a little short, but not bad, but the light colored handles had taken a bit of a beating and they were stained with grease and oil.

I had a new 124UH blade so I decided I would put that blade in the frame and use some lignum vitae wood for the handles.
If you are unfamiliar with lignum vitae it is a really unique wood. It is the heaviest wood and it has so much oil in it that you cannot finish it, nothing will stick to the oil/waxy wood. Lignum vitae is often used in grandfather clocks of bearings. It is also used in ships as bushings for the propeller shaft to rest on because it is so oily. Just add a little more oil and it makes a nice bushing for the propeller shaft to lay on and because of the oily nature of the wood there is very little friction on the shaft.

To finish this handle I polished it with No Scratch Pink rouge and then waxed it with a light coat of carnauba wax. In retrospect; the carnauba wax was unnecessary.
Schrade 124UH Custom - Lignum Vitae a.jpg
Schrade 124UH Custom - Lignum Vitae b.jpg
Schrade 124UH Custom - Lignum Vitae c.jpg
Schrade 124UH Custom - Lignum Vitae d.jpg
Sorry the pics are not better, it has been raining here for pretty much the last month. It is extremely hard to get some clear sky to take pics outside, so I had to take these inside.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade 124UH Rehab

Post by glennbad »

Nice one! I have heard people bandy about the name Lignum Vitae, this is the first knife I've seen with it. Looks like a nice wood to work with, apart from the oils.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Very nice.
I love lignum vitae I have an antique billy club made from it. stuff polishes out like glass
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

glennbad wrote:Nice one! I have heard people bandy about the name Lignum Vitae, this is the first knife I've seen with it. Looks like a nice wood to work with, apart from the oils.
Believe it or not Glenn, it is really easy to work with.
Because it is so hard I sense a bit of brittleness, but not as bad as ebony.
Just polish it and it is finished! Wonderful stuff that feels unique in your hand! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Beautiful!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Nice job on the knife, great looking piece of wood also. I have turned a couple of pieces and it works well. Made a beautiful pen. Had to wash the oil off of it several times to get it to take a CA finish.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”