Kamp King Rebuild & Restoration

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Kamp King Rebuild & Restoration

Post by danno50 »

Bumping this old thread to ask a question. First off, very nice work on this one!
The question is in regards to hafting the handles: do you glue the handles on as well as pin them? If not, how do you hold the handles securely to the liner while hafting. If you do use glue, what kind do you use? Does the glue you use dry clear.
I am asking in regards to my first project, "Outgassing Keen Kutter". I would like to glue the handles on prior to drilling the pin holes and also to make it easier to do the sanding etc to haft the handles. However, the tortoise shell Kirinite is see through in places and I am not sure if there is a glue or epoxy which dries clear enough that the brass of the liners still shows through the handle material.
Thanks
Dan
Attachments
Kamp%20King%20bolsters%20soldered%20%26%20bone.jpg
Kamp%20King%20bolsters%20soldered%20%26%20bone.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Dan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Yes, I do glue the bone on; it prevents moisture from getting behind the handle material. I also glue on Kirinite. Then I haft the handle at the bolster.

I use 5 minute epoxy like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Smith-Indus ... Sw2xRYm6Ng

I don’t think it will be visible between the kirinite & the liners.

Good luck with it. ::tu::
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

thanks for the reply, Dale. I kind of figured you must be gluing them on to get them so perfectly hafted prior to pinning. I have already drilled my handle pin holes, and am somewhat hesitant to trying gluing now. If I glue them without the pin material in place I am afraid of the handles sliding slightly and the pin holes not lining up, also the pin holes will fill with glue and need redrilling. If I glue them with the pin material in place to keep the holes lined up, I likely will not be able to remove the pin material after the glue has set and it will get in the way of hafting? I guess I could try gluing them with the pin material in place and after they are clamped, remove the pin material before the glue sets up?
Thanks
Dan
Dan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have done that and held them in place with toothpicks.
The tooth picks are relative easy to drill out.
My preferred method is to drill them then drill and then haft the handles.

No worries, you should learn a ton of new things with each knife you repair. ::tu:: ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”