First Restore

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
chiefret

First Restore

Post by chiefret »

I found this poor Imperial laying in the road a few years ago. I picked it up and put it in my tool shed and forgot about it. Since subscribing to another knife aficionado site I have a new found interest in my knives.

Anyway, this poor guy is in pretty rough shape and I am hoping to hear from others on the best way I can restore it. I am currently soaking the knife in some 3 in 1 oil to help loosen some of the rust and get it as cleaned up as much as possible. I am thinking of taking it completely apart and removing all of the rust. This could turn into a nice first project. I realize this knife is inexpensive so I am not concerned if it becomes a loss. What I would like to know is if my technique is correct. I am providing some pictures of my progress and will accept any constructive criticism.

Full album progress pictures are located here: http://imgur.com/a/zbYkP

Can anyone tell me what the three sets of numbers mean on the small blade? I have found pictures of this knife while researching it but can't find much info on what the numbers mean. I would really like to know if anyone can describe for me how to remove the rivets without destroying them?
Attachments
Took it apart and I'm glad I did. Couldn't save the pins.
Took it apart and I'm glad I did. Couldn't save the pins.
Springs showing some wear. The cuts are about half a mm deep.
Springs showing some wear. The cuts are about half a mm deep.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: First Restore

Post by orvet »

The numbers are patent numbers.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

Thanks. I see this site does not support image hosting sites. I am in the process of uploading the pictures of my progress. For some reason it is turning all of my pictures upside down.
just bob

Post by just bob »

That's a shell handle knife and you've done a good job of getting it apart w/o breaking those tabs. They usually snap right off. I doubt you can get it apart any further w/o cutting the pins (rivets) Dale has an excellent tutorial on taking a knife apart in the tutorial section. Keep posting the pics.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

Thanks, I'll check it out.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The reason AAPK doesn't support image hosting sites is we want the pictures and information to remain permanently for the benefit of people who like to use AAPK for research. We have plenty or room to store the images, storage is not a problem.
It is really frustrating to look up an old topic to checkout a picture of a rare knife only to find the original poster has not maintained their account with the image hosting service. ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::welcome::
Howdy chiefret, Welcome to the friendliest knife knife site around. Come on in, make yerself at home ::nod::

If the skins on that Imperial are metal, it was possibly painted. Not highly regarded, generally,
because they were cheaply made working knives. But, Imperial had some of the best blade steel of the day!
Fix it up, and put it back to work ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

orvet wrote:The reason AAPK doesn't support image hosting sites is we want the pictures and information to remain permanently for the benefit of people who like to use AAPK for research. We have plenty or room to store the images, storage is not a problem.
It is really frustrating to look up an old topic to checkout a picture of a rare knife only to find the original poster has not maintained their account with the image hosting service. ::dang::
That is fantastic. You're right. So many site's and forum's have post a picture thread's and half the pictures are missing. Especially pictures posted a few years back.
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

royal0014 wrote: ::welcome::
Howdy chiefret, Welcome to the friendliest knife knife site around. Come on in, make yerself at home ::nod::

If the skins on that Imperial are metal, it was possibly painted. Not highly regarded, generally,
because they were cheaply made working knives. But, Imperial had some of the best blade steel of the day!
Fix it up, and put it back to work ::tu::
Thanks. I have already found a wealth of information here. After I get it cleaned up I may explore dressing it up by replacing the shells with something else.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Grab a rack, stow your gear and report for duty. From your screen name, is it safe to assume you're a retired career Squid?

The handles on that knife may have had a wrap on them. They made them both ways, without a wrap but most of them did have a wrap. (wrap = thin sheet of synthetic such as Celluloid wrapped around the handle shell, then heated to be form fitting)
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

jerryd6818 wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Grab a rack, stow your gear and report for duty. From your screen name, is it safe to assume you're a retired career Squid?

The handles on that knife may have had a wrap on them. They made them both ways, without a wrap but most of them did have a wrap. (wrap = thin sheet of synthetic such as Celluloid wrapped around the handle shell, then heated to be form fitting)
Thanks and yes, your assumption is correct. Retired HMC.

I think you are correct about the celluloid wrap as I found remnants of it under the shells. Depending on how well they shine up I may leave them bare.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

chiefret wrote:Thanks and yes, your assumption is correct. Retired HMC.

I think you are correct about the celluloid wrap as I found remnants of it under the shells. Depending on how well they shine up I may leave them bare.
Did you spend any time in the FMF?

I have a couple that the wrap has come off and one that maybe never had a wrap. I've decided I like them better than the ones with a wrap.

The Kamp King I may or may not still have. Received it and the Imperial Fish knife in a POS roundtable. This is how they looked when I first got them.
Imperial%20Fish%20Knife%20Mark%20-%20Before.JPG
Cleaned the Imperial up a little, sharpened it and carried it for a while. It changed my opinion on shell knives from a major negative to positive.
Imperial%20Fish%20Knife%20Mark%20-%20Open.JPG
Received this Imperial medium jack in a different POS roundtable. Most of the wrap was already off it so I finished removing the wrap (since this picture was taken), sharpened it and carried it for a while. I look a bit more favorably on it now.
Imperial Shell Jack - Mark Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

jerryd6818 wrote:Did you spend any time in the FMF?
Yes. In fact all of my sea duty was spent with the USMC. As a sailor I have spent roughly 90 days on a ship. And those are all as an embarked troop. Never ships crew.

The little Imperial I'm working on is the only shell type knife I have. I probably wouldn't have picked it up it it hadn't been so shiny.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Hey chief that's a great little project knife you have. I did a shell handled knife recently. I kept the blades, back springs and center liner. Trashed the rest and made up what I needed for the liners and handles. They do come out nice!
20151017_100853.jpg
Randy
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

That does look good. I'm thinking along the same lines. From what I can see on my knife everything metal seems fine. It just needs some elbow grease. The blades have a lot of life left in them and they both close with a good snap.
chiefret

Post by chiefret »

Took it apart last night. I wasn't able to save the pins. Is it normal for the pins to be different sizes? The end pins were .08 and .082 and the center pin was .087.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That's normal Chief. The .002 difference on the end pins is probably due to the the crimping process. They were probably the same size. The rocker pin (center pin) is often a different size. That rocker pin takes the stress from the springs.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Where are my manners. ::facepalm::
I saw Jerry's post asking is you were a Doc, and I was so focused on the knife question I forgot to welcome you aboard.

Welcome aboard! ::welcome::

And because today is 10 November; HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Semper Fi!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”