ball peen (pien) hammer

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
garyflorida

ball peen (pien) hammer

Post by garyflorida »

This knife journey has got me in areas I never dreamed of going. Now I am going through my old tools of 50 years looking for the proper bb hammer to use on pin work.
I have a True Temper 1504 or 4 oz hammer to start. I have read info from Dale suggesting to go to 2 oz. when peening those pins.
I see a Paschall 1301 ,1 oz, hammer that went for $50.00...pretty little hammer by the way so
what weight do you use and do you have a favorite manufacturer please?

Gary
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: ball peen (pien) hammer

Post by muskrat man »

A hammer is a hammer as far as brand goes. As long as it mashes pins and doesn't break you don't really need to ask anything more of it. The fairmount I use for most of my peening is 10 oz with the handle, I don't know how much the head weighs. For finer work I use a cross peen that is around 2 oz or so head.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I have a 4 oz. ball peen that I picked up at one of those off-shore tool sales that comes around in a trailer and sets up at VFW's and the like. It's not a name brand, but it whacks what I need it to. I've had it for years, it does the job. For all other work I use jewelers hammers.
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

muskrat man wrote:A hammer is a hammer as far as brand goes. As long as it mashes pins and doesn't break you don't really need to ask anything more of it. The fairmount I use for most of my peening is 10 oz with the handle, I don't know how much the head weighs. For finer work I use a cross peen that is around 2 oz or so head.

Very good, so I will guess the Fairmont head is about 6 oz. so that is pretty heavy so you must use it gingerly I am guessing. Stainless pins or Nickel silver?

thanks,
Gary
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

glennbad wrote:I have a 4 oz. ball peen that I picked up at one of those off-shore tool sales that comes around in a trailer and sets up at VFW's and the like. It's not a name brand, but it whacks what I need it to. I've had it for years, it does the job. For all other work I use jewelers hammers.
Is that total weight Glenn the 4 oz.? And the jewelers hammer probably is tiny with a head weight of 1 oz. or so?

Thanks,
Gary
garyflorida

Post by garyflorida »

Here is a picture of a Paschall 1302 , 2 oz head.
In 1936 Plomb catalog this hammer made in LA, Cal. listed for 0.75 cents.....
They are now $75.00 +. This little monster almost got me in trouble but I got smoked on the Bay thank goodness.

Gary
Attachments
paschall.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Glenn, you ever use the cross peen hammers? This is a couple I picked up off eBay back when I thought I might give knife repair a whirl. Nah. Not when I have you and all the other mechanics on AAPK.
Attachments
Cross Pean or Cutlers Hammers.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I can't believe you guys don't collect hammers!
Attachments
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5946.JPG
Joe
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

garyflorida wrote:
glennbad wrote:I have a 4 oz. ball peen that I picked up at one of those off-shore tool sales that comes around in a trailer and sets up at VFW's and the like. It's not a name brand, but it whacks what I need it to. I've had it for years, it does the job. For all other work I use jewelers hammers.
Is that total weight Glenn the 4 oz.? And the jewelers hammer probably is tiny with a head weight of 1 oz. or so?

Thanks,
Gary
I believe that is a 4 oz. head. I would estimate that the jeweler/cutler hammer I use most to be 2 oz. or less head weight.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

FRJ wrote:I can't believe you guys don't collect hammers!
Wow, Joe, that is quite the nice collection. I do have more than a handful of hammers myself, but only use a few select ones.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

garyflorida wrote:
muskrat man wrote:A hammer is a hammer as far as brand goes. As long as it mashes pins and doesn't break you don't really need to ask anything more of it. The fairmount I use for most of my peening is 10 oz with the handle, I don't know how much the head weighs. For finer work I use a cross peen that is around 2 oz or so head.

Very good, so I will guess the Fairmont head is about 6 oz. so that is pretty heavy so you must use it gingerly I am guessing. Stainless pins or Nickel silver?

thanks,
Gary
either, including mild steel and brass. there are times for gingerness, and believe it or not there are times for brute force you just have to know when to employ the proper one. If you watch some of my other YT videos you'll see I beat away on some of the pins.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
just bob

Post by just bob »

This picture is from the Dewey and Lavona Ferguson book on the Romance of Collecting it is copyrighted in 1978. If it shouldn't be here please take it down. Shows the cutler's hammer after years of use. Sorry for the bad pic I had to scan it and the lid was open but I think you can see it well enough.
Attachments
aaaa.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”