Why Do Knives Lose Walk and Talk? Can It Be Fixed?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
radiobob

Why Do Knives Lose Walk and Talk? Can It Be Fixed?

Post by radiobob »

Why does a folder lose its walk and talk, and can it be restored? Also if you have a loose, wobbly blade and can see one of the pins in the bolster has been slightly pulled in, can that be fixed too? Thanks!

Bob
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Why Do Knives Lose Walk and Talk? Can It Be Fixed?

Post by TripleF »

After extensive use or not proper care a knife can lose it's snap-back. The best thing I've found to possibly restore "walk and talk" is a drop of Quick Release Oil. Of course a cleaning with a toothpick and some cleaner will be your first step.

Wobbly pins and bolsters I know nothing about......

Welcome to AAPK!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
radiobob

Post by radiobob »

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, this one's been poorly treated, it's an Ontario made by Queen electrician's knife, (which I just learned in another part of the forum) the screwdriver blade has good snap but the other blade has almost none. I've oiled it, but haven't gotten into serious cleaning yet. But it just doesn't seem to be connecting with the backsping very well. It's no big deal, this will be a user, but I like to fix them up if possible. Thanks for the welcome! I've lurked here for years.

Bob
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

It sounds like the end of the tang has worn down and has become rounded off. When that happens it is necessary to replace the blade or build up the tang with as TIG welder. Then file it back to size. Not usually worth the money for an inexpensive knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
radiobob

Post by radiobob »

I suspect you are correct, I just cleaned it up and made sure everything was moving freely, and that's what it seems to be. Funny thing is, the blade doesn't look like it's been used much, while the screwdriver blade has seen lots of use, yet it still has great walk and talk. And no, it wouldn't be worth putting that kind of effort into it, it still works fine, I just like a nice snap, as we all do I'm sure. Thanks for the reply.

Bob
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

radiobob wrote: I just like a nice snap.

Bob
As do I. I can't abide a lazy blade, poor snap or no snap. For some people it's blade wobble. For me it's a lack of snap.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
radiobob

Post by radiobob »

jerryd6818 wrote:
radiobob wrote: I just like a nice snap.

Bob
As do I. I can't abide a lazy blade, poor snap or no snap. For some people it's blade wobble. For me it's a lack of snap.
Hah, this one's got both. It is quite annoying.

Bob
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

The reason I like a knife to have a nice snap is mainly for safety. Too little tension makes for a blade that might close on you while it's being used. Yes, they can be fixed and here's how I do it: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 37&t=23801. Good luck whatever your decision!
radiobob

Post by radiobob »

Thanks for that, that's quite interesting. I won't be going that far with this one but it's cool to see how it's done. I just got a cheap Valor mini-Buck 110 lookalike, it won't lock up, the lock hook is slightly worn but it doesn't look like it would be enough to keep it from locking. But I guess it is. No big deal, I got it off of Ebay for .99 cents just to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. I guess to fix it you'd have to weld a build-up on it.

Bob
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

radiobob wrote: I just got a cheap Valor mini-Buck 110 lookalike, it won't lock up, the lock hook is slightly worn but it doesn't look like it would be enough to keep it from locking. But I guess it is. No big deal, I got it off of Ebay for .99 cents just to see if I could figure out what was wrong with it. I guess to fix it you'd have to weld a build-up on it.

Bob
That is a worn locking lug on the lock bar. You might be able to clean it up a bit if the notch in the tang is not too messed up.
You can probably make a new lock bar since it doesn't have to be as hard as spring steel has to be.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
radiobob

Post by radiobob »

Thanks, you know I was looking at the wear on the blade lug and wasn't even thinking about that. Heck, these are so common and cheap I could probably find another in bad shape and replace it I suppose.

Bob

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”