Seeking advice: Camillus TL-29 restoration

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
flangster

Seeking advice: Camillus TL-29 restoration

Post by flangster »

Here's the question: I have taken apart and cleaned all the parts of a Camillus TL-29 electrician's knife. This is the first time I have taken one of these apart. I am putting the knife back together and have replacement rocker and rear pins in. And I have a neat vise from Dale to help get it all together. But when I try to compress the TL-29, the liner lock (which stands proud of the knife) keeps tthe vise from lining all the pin-holes up. Any hints for a fix-it newb?

I almost want to build a wooden jig with a carve-out for the liner lock, but thought I would ask here first.

thanks in advance . . .

flangster
#goldpan

Re: Seeking advice: Camillus TL-29 restoration

Post by #goldpan »

Follow this link. Go all the way to the last post. If you follow what I posted there you should be able to manipulate the spring enough to pop the first blade on. Slip the the center liner on and repeat with the next blade. The photos show this being done on an electricians knife from M. Klien & Sons. Hope it helps! http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 27#p433493

Randy
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Here is the way I put a TL-29 in a vise so the liner lock is not a problem.
TL-29 in vise.jpg
The pin hole is centered over the cutout in the micarta lip so the pin can be tapped through the knife if it is longer than the knife width. With it centered over the cutout the liner lock should be clear of the knife vise.

Let me know if that doesn't work & we can get on the phone together tomorrow and I will try to walk you through it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
flangster

Post by flangster »

Thanks for the photo Dale. I popped the knife in the vise and looking down at it, realized my difficulty. Guess where the bozo behind the drill put the hole in the bolster? Duhhh. Off center. So you know what happens when you drill out a pin off center? [Sound of a dope slap] The holes don't line up.

[Hey, Dope (meaning me myself), what's wrong with this picture? See the hole and the pin? No wonder it was tough to line up.]
Dope-Slap.jpg
I think I am going to abandon this knife, take the spear blade, and use to to replace the blade on a different Camillus TL-29 on which the blade has been noticeably ground down.
Attachments
Dope-Slap.jpg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

You can always take some pin stock and peen that hole in full, then redrill it. Or, your can melt some solder in the hole and redo it.

Don't give up on it that quickly! :)
flangster

Post by flangster »

glennbad wrote:You can always take some pin stock and peen that hole in full, then redrill it. Or, your can melt some solder in the hole and redo it.

Don't give up on it that quickly! :)
You think the hole will stand up to normal use if it is half-filled with peened brass? If so, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I try to use NS to match the bolsters.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

glennbad wrote:I try to use NS to match the bolsters.
done it before......beat the daylights out of the and grind it flush then drill a new hole
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Trying to absorb as much as I can...what is NS? Something I prolly know already, like TP....lolEDIT Duh for nickel-sliver....
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

NS or n/s usually refers to nickel silver, (aka German Silver or white brass).
Typically 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc, (per Wikipedia). I never remember the percentages, had to look them up. ::facepalm::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
flangster

Post by flangster »

orvet wrote:NS or n/s usually refers to nickel silver, (aka German Silver or white brass).
Typically 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc, (per Wikipedia). I never remember the percentages, had to look them up. ::facepalm::
Hey, glad to see you posting again Dale. Fingers crossed for continued health & well being.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”