2 Really Simple good ideas

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
just bob

2 Really Simple good ideas

Post by just bob »

I have finally continued to upgrade and have a band saw with a fence. In the past I have had to try and find something straight, dig out clamps, and put it on. The next time I went to use it I couldn't find it and had to start all over. The first picture shows a 18" magnetic strip like you hang tools on and you can get at Harbor Freight for $5. These have powerful magnets and all you need to is to measure some lines from your table front and turn it over, line it up. Probably won't be able to cut lumber with it but it is a great, no clamp, light duty fence.

(2) I don't have enough hands to show how to do this but look at the other picture. Take a feeler gauge from a set of automotive type gauges. These are the kind that already have a hole in them. The .015 should work great. When you have the rocker pin in the knife and have the front side mushroomed and done push it all the way in and then you're ready to start on the backside of the pin. Put the hole in the feeler gauge over the pin and you have created a guard against getting file marks in the handle material while you are working the pin down to length. The person that showed me this trick said he takes them down to .015 and spreads them after that. Mine are a bit longer. I have used this same method and taken a knife to the Scotch Brite wheel on the bench grinder and worked the pin down that way. This keeps the wheel from digging into the handle material as well.

Fast & easy. Works great
Attachments
a 3.jpg
b 1.JPG
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 2 Really Simple good ideas

Post by glennbad »

It seems I am not a creative thinker, and always have to do things the "hard way". I do the same thing on the saw with a pice of wood and a clamps. I'll have to check to see if my table is steel and will attract a magnet.

I do like the feeler gauge idea also, now why didn't I think of that. ::hmm::

Thanks for sharing!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 2 Really Simple good ideas

Post by orvet »

Great tips Bob! ::tu::
I usually spin my pins so I there are not many times I would use the feeler gauge trick, but it is good know for those knives where I don't want a spun rocker pin. ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”