I got one of Musckrat Man's Hawkbill Kits.... NICE!

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
#goldpan

I got one of Musckrat Man's Hawkbill Kits.... NICE!

Post by #goldpan »

I bought a couple of Kaleb's hawk bill knife kits. One is finished and the other is on the way. Turned out right nice! :D I cracked the walnut that came on the scales and had to replace them with Red Oak.
16_50627_1415985015_1.jpg
16_50627_1415985015_1.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
IMGP0008.JPG
IMGP0009.JPG
IMGP0010.JPG
IMGP0011.JPG
IMGP0012.JPG
According to Kaleb these came from Queen Cutlery. Check out his AAPK store. He has them for $15.00! Great knife kit and vintage too. It was rewarding to see this old girl come to life. I hope the scales on the second kit don't crack on me. But if they do I have an old 1960's Marlin rifle stock that broke years ago. Been saving it for something. Knife handles!

Cheers!
Randy
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I got one of Musckrat Man's Hawkbill Kits.... NICE!

Post by glennbad »

Looks good, Randy! Nice and clean look to it.

If you need some different wood to try out, PM me. I have some choices, you can choose something and I'll send it to you to try out on that other one.

Glenn
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Very nice! These have probably been sitting in storage for 30+ years so the wood may be a bit dried out on them?
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Glenn thanks for the offer man ::handshake:: I'll get back to you after I see what the next set of scales look like. I do have a hankering for some vintage walnut. ::tu::

Yep ::tu:: raw wood that is as old as these are bound to be dried out a bit. But I am going to deal with them different this time around Kaleb. Before I start messing around with putting the next one together I am going to treat the wood with mineral oil. After it soaks it all in I'll start fittiong it together. If it still splits I'll taking you up on your generous offer there Glenn! :D

Randy
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Looks like I got paid early! Sorry fellas, but I'm heading over to Muskrat Man's store right now to grab whats left. ::woot::

Randy

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”