Replacement knife handles

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
KillingTime

Replacement knife handles

Post by KillingTime »

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this post is in the wrong category. I have an older Buck Creek Indian Head knife with the "christmas tree" celluloid handles. It has outgassed badly to the point that the springs have broken. I was wondering if there might be some other handle material that would look similar to this? I ask this question because the knife was passed down from my great grandfather to my mother who now has given it to me to try and fix up to give to my daughter so it has a lot of sentimental value. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
just bob

Re: Replacement knife handles

Post by just bob »

I enjoy finding old knives just like this and restoring. There is a lot of material called pen blanks that comes in various styles and colors that is inexpensive and easy to work with. Don't think you can match the Christmas tree style but I'll bet you can find something you like here.

http://www.woodturningz.com/Acrylic_Ace ... lanks.html

If you're new and this is the first knife you're doing replacing the springs will be much harder. If they're broken you'll just about have to find an exact knife with good springs. If I can help let me know. Welcome and best of luck in your efforts.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
KillingTime

Post by KillingTime »

Just bob, thanks for the welcome and the link. I believe the confetti material will be very close to original. Also I have never restored a knife so this one may be more of a challenge than I'm ready for. That being said is there anyone I could send this knife to and pay them to do the repairs. Any input or references would be greatly appreciated.
Keep Calm and Whittle On
just bob

Post by just bob »

Only you can determine the value of your knife. If it has sentimental value then it may be worth a lot to you? If you go to ebay you can see knives like this will sell for $25 - $35 in usable condition. Just a shot here but if it costs $35 to have a backspring put in a knife and you have 2 broken ones plus bad handles and maybe liners you're going to run up a big bill in no time. Check with Glen or Muskrat Man on an estimate and go from there with things.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buck16 »

Welcome KT! " Keep calm and whittle on" LOL
KillingTime

Post by KillingTime »

Just bob, I will message these guys once i get some pics of the knife and get off midnight shifts. LOL The knife has much more sentimetal than monetary value to me. Thanks for all your help.

Buck16 or should I say Jim. Thanks for the input on that Klass knife this weekend. I was hesitant to purchase it sight unseen but your advice eased my decision. Now that I have it in hand it's a really nice knife. Looking forward to Saturday morning as long as nothing comes up. "Keep calm and whittle on" lol
Keep Calm and Whittle On
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

::welcome:: to AAPK.
Be careful, knife repair is far more addictive than just knife collecting! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
KillingTime

Post by KillingTime »

Orvet I could see where it could become a passion/obsession. And a man might also sink a lot of money into it.
Keep Calm and Whittle On
KillingTime

Post by KillingTime »

Update on the knife. Thank you so much Bob you don't know how much I appreciate you doing this for me. This Knife was taken from being in very bad shape to something that will be passed down to my daughter and generations to come thanks to you. When I opened this knife I was speachless and have been showing it off as much as I can.
Attachments
Knifefront.jpeg
Knifeback.jpeg
Keep Calm and Whittle On
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Well I do believe we missed something along the way on this thread. If I've connected the dots properly I think Bob deserves some kudos and perhaps a high five to boot!

Well done sir! ::tu:: ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is nice work and a good looking restoration!
Bob did you solid on that! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »