Parts Knives

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
lopezzer55

Parts Knives

Post by lopezzer55 »

I am a new member. Joined looking for knife repairmen interested in buying a large group of parts knives. Mainly all folding knives. Mostly old and vintage.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Parts Knives

Post by orvet »

You might start by posting some pictures of them and maybe some names.
Few knife parts interchange with other knives, especially across brands, so pictures of the knives, their brand names & what is wrong & right with each knife would be helpful.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

What Dale said X 2.
GRINC

Post by GRINC »

I am interested
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Most of us who do knife repairs have lots of parts knives, I have several hundred parts knives in my shop. But we need to know the brands of the knives you wish to sell and the condition of the knives.

A knife with good blades or good bone handles will be worth more than a knife with broken blades and broken handles. There are times when I only need a liner or bolster off a donor knife to complete a repair, but those times are few and far between.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

lopezzer55

Post by lopezzer55 »

not sure how to put pictures on here. there are close to 3000 parts knives. all are old or vintage. many of the popular brands. Case, Remington, Winchester, Robeson, Cattaraugus etc. My brother bought and hoarded these for the past 20-25 years.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

lopezzer55 wrote:not sure how to put pictures on here.
Here's a link to the thread that tells you how to post pictures on AAPK. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=38797
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

lopezzer55 wrote:not sure how to put pictures on here. there are close to 3000 parts knives. all are old or vintage. many of the popular brands. Case, Remington, Winchester, Robeson, Cattaraugus etc. My brother bought and hoarded these for the past 20-25 years.

Jerry already addressed the issue of posting pictures.

I would suggest you break the knives into groups of 5 or 10 and you might try to find like patterns of the same brand for the purpose of swapping parts. It is possible that someone may be able to make a good knife out of a few broken ones.

For example if you have several Case pattern 02 jacks; you might sell those in one lot and someone may be able, between what you sell and what he already has, to make more than one good knives.
Just a suggestion that may get you a bit more than the $1 to $5 dollars that parts knives typically bring and give the knife mechanics parts we need.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I know this is a long shot, but where do you live? Maybe there's a member here close enough to help you out.
lopezzer55

Post by lopezzer55 »

I live in Illinois.
lopezzer55

Post by lopezzer55 »

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I may have to sort them into patterns or brands and sell as smaller groups. I understand with that many knives it would be pricey.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

lopezzer55 wrote:I live in Illinois.
Several of us in The Great State of Chicago. I'm in Rockford, Tim's down by Springfield, another that doesn't show up often is out by Joliet. Got a few that don't come around much in the southern part of the state, one between LaSalle/Peru and Rockford. The owner of AAPK is in the Effingham area.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

lopezzer55 wrote:Thanks for the advice and opinions. I may have to sort them into patterns or brands and sell as smaller groups. I understand with that many knives it would be pricey.
I think you are right, to sell 3000 parts knives even at $.25 each it would be $750.
That is a big investment for most of us, especially for parts knives that a guy may or may not ever use.

The most desirable part on most parts knives is the main blade.
If the main blade is in good condition, near full length, not ground on by a grinder and not badly pitted with rust, then the parts knife may bring a few dollars, depending on the brand, pattern and the rarity of the knife.

Knives with broken blades but have good bone handles might bring a little bit, but the synthetic handles don't bring much at all.

Knives with broken handles and blades really don't have any value unless you find the person who needs a liner or bolster.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”