Need a repairman

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Need a repairman

Post by edge213 »

My daughter purchased this at a show about a year ago. It is outgassing in a bad way. It's a Case GS285 Solingen. She really likes the green color, so I would like to have it rehandled in something like a green acrylic. If that is not possible we are open to other suggestions on handles. Please let me know the cost, and how to get knife to you.
Attachments
20140608_144505.jpg
20140608_144455.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need a repairman

Post by glennbad »

There are quite a few great mechanics on this site. Orvet (Dale) and Elvis (Bob) are 2 that come to mind.

If you do not get any other interest, you can contact me.

Glenn
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Hi, first thing you need to do is pop those handles off asap. Those slabs used to be goldstone, the off gassing has caused the brass liners to head south and turned them green. The sooner they come off the better. Then inspect the liners to see if they are still intact, that will play a roll in cost. The liners could actually be eaten in half in spots. Just a little friendly advise, hope it helps.

WB

P.S. Glenn would be a great choice in mechanics. ::nod::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree, remove the handles ASAP! The sooner the better! If that has gassed badly enough it can weaken the liners and they will have replaced as well which will increase the cost of the repair. Making liners by hand is tedious and time consuming. Of course when you make new liners that requires new bolsters as well.

When I take a knife like that apart I usually swish it around in a solution of about 1 cup of water and 3 or 4 tables spoonfuls of baking soda. The soda will neutralize any active acid left on the knife. Otherwise the acid present can continue to eat into the liners & bolsters.

I also agree that Glenn would be a good choice for repair, he is as good as anyone on AAPK for a repair! ::tu::
Elvis and WB (whitebuffalo58) are also excellent knife mechanics and would do a fine job as well. ::nod::

Currently I am backlogged 6 to 8 months, and I am having eye problems, which are slowing me down even more. I have to wait for the VA to send me new glasses, which takes about 6 weeks. I can’t see too well when my eyes cause a migraine headache, which seems to happen every other day recently. I am sure one to the other guys could get to it sooner than I could.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Thanks, guys for the vote of confidence. :oops:

Like I said, there are many good mechanics on this site. Some, like WB, stay under the radar, so their name doesn't always come to mind first, but never-the-less do amazing work.

I suppose I should have mentioned also that my backlog is about 1-2 months right now, maybe more as I don't get the time in the shop that I need on a regular basis.

I also echo what they said about getting that cell off asap, and Dale's idea about neutralizing the reaction is an excellent one.

Whoever ends up doing the work, I'm sure you will be well taken care of.

Glenn
just bob

Post by just bob »

Only my 2 cents worth. I agree with the suggestions that the handles should come off ASAP, but suspect if you knew how to do that you could replace the handles yourself. Hard to be certain from the pics but it looks as if the blades are pitted rather badly on this. Even if you replace the handles you still won't have a very nice knife. Consider the cost of shipping both ways and repair cost. Unless the knife has sentimental value finding a better used one might be a far better option. Case will replace the handles for I think $7.50 each plus $15 labor plus shipping both ways is probably going to put over $35 in the repair and you'll still have a knife with pitted blades. . You can contact them by phone.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Thanks for all the information fellas.I will have to weigh cost vs. value then make a decision.
David
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

The handles have been on there this long, so unless you're sure you can remove them without damaging the knife, I'd leave them alone and just get it in the hands of a repairman fast. Just saying a few more days won't make a difference. If it's going to sit around while you make up your mind, take the slimmest and strongest blade you have available and gently pry them off while your blade tool is completely under the handles. WB is correct in that the handles used to be gold. The green is all corrosion. I have some green acrylic, but choose the repairman you feel the most comfortable with. For the sake of the knife, please do it soon though.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Elvis, I sent you a pm.
David
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

edge213 wrote:Elvis, I sent you a pm.
Received and replied to.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Have the same exact knife and it did the same exact thing. Did not get too far gone before I popped the handles off and was isolated prior to any issues. Actually a well built solid knife besides that. What a shame.

I have some goldstone fron the Centennial collection that I will probably have to do the same on. Hard to believe CASE and other makers did not learn their lesson the first time when this type of handle material was banned back in the 1940s' I believe.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

edge213 wrote:Elvis, I sent you a pm.
If Elvis(Bob) does this project, you will be in good hands!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”