Gaposis

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
basser5

Gaposis

Post by basser5 »

I have a nice whittler that has a bad gap between the liner and back spring. ( I hate gaps!)

Can this be flushed, clamped and peened tighter without damage to the handles?

Can some of you fellas PM with prices?

Thanks
Attachments
1797502_869878956361212_729230315275137390_n.jpg
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Gaposis

Post by glennbad »

The potential problem I see with that could be that when that stag was glued up, it may have been too tight (assuming there are bolsters on both ends). That would cause the liner to flex or warp like that, and not sit flat.

If that is the case, I think one would not properly be able to pull that together tighter and peen it without risking chipping the stag under pressure.

I have had this problem on a few builds, and have ended up pulling them all apart, as the gap was too great for my tastes.

At least, that is what is looks like to me...

Glenn
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

glennbad wrote:The potential problem I see with that could be that when that stag was glued up, it may have been too tight (assuming there are bolsters on both ends). That would cause the liner to flex or warp like that, and not sit flat.

If that is the case, I think one would not properly be able to pull that together tighter and peen it without risking chipping the stag under pressure.

I have had this problem on a few builds, and have ended up pulling them all apart, as the gap was too great for my tastes.

At least, that is what is looks like to me...

Glenn
what glenn said. the the handle was slightly too long it puts everything in a bind if that is the case the handle needs to be removed, shortened and everything reassembled. or there is a possibility they just didn't peen/spin it tight enough which seems to be common with fat uneven stag.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree completely!
There isn't much I can add to what Glenn & Kaleb said.
The only other remote possibility I have encountered is a piece of debris between the spring and liner. Not likely but possible. It is far more likely the stag is too long.

I just enlarged the picture of your knife and looked at the gap.
I am not sure if it is just an illusion caused by the camera, but it appears to me that the upper edge of the top spring has a bevel and is not flush with the bottom of the knife.

Is that what I am seeing, or it there another explanation for that?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Gentlemen thank you all for your responses!

I believe your assessment is correct. I flushed the knife with WD40 and i can see through the entire length of the gap. I can not pinch the gap closed with my hand.

Dale the "bevel" that we see is the lighting playing tricks, the springs are flush with the liners.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

glennbad wrote:it may have been too tight (assuming there are bolsters on both ends)
Let`s see a picture of the entire knife :wink:
AAPK Janitor
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Handles and bolsters on gap side.
Attachments
10371646_870064803009294_3157359929992072713_n.jpg
10270706_870064676342640_6683584300940330468_n.jpg
10154530_869503239732117_339092643727082452_n.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks for the pictures ::tu::

To me it looks like there is a gap between the bolsters and the stag handle, it does not look too tight ::shrug::

The knife is almost 40 years old, maybe the stag shrunk a bit over the years pulling it and the liner away from the spring causing the gap ::hmm::

But hey what do I know? I`m a newbie to all this :lol:
AAPK Janitor
ea42

Post by ea42 »

If I might add a thought; leave it alone! That's the first year issue of the NKC annual knives, with only twelve hundred made. It's very uncommon, so why risk messing it up over a gap? What you've got there is a piece of history, imperfections and all. Appreciate it for what it is, and consider yourself lucky to own one. Even if you attempt to spin that pin you'll likely not have the same spinner profile that Kissing Crane had and it'll stick out like a sore thumb when compared to other knives of its ilk.

Eric
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree with Eric, knowing now what the knife is.
The etch and serial number fixes that to a very specific time in knife history.
Considering that I think it is best to leave it alone.

Eric's point about the difference in spinners is right on the money, I have several spinners and each leaves unique makings on pins and each shapes pin heads a little differently.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I don't do repaires so I have nothing to offer on fixes, but I cringe every time I see a beautiful knife with opposing blades open on one spring. All I see is SNAP. A friend left a knife open like that and his wife was standing near it when it blew and it scared the crap out of her.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”