cracked liners

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
dobro59

cracked liners

Post by dobro59 »

I have not done a lot of repair or rehandling of knives.But i was told not to rehandle a knife with cracked liners.Why?One thing i can do
is solder with the best of them,A/C work for 30 yrs.I have soldered 2 two pocket knives liners up and am now ready to rehandle.Used very low temp solder and open and close snap has not been affected at all.Shouldn't these be allright?Have i not taken something into account? ::shrug:: ::shrug:: ::hmm:: ::undecided:: :?
caddyman1973

Re: cracked liners

Post by caddyman1973 »

Well, The question that comes to my mind is...I wonder what caused the liners to crack? Maybe liners too thin to begin with? ::shrug:: It may be easier for alot of people just to make new ones that are a little thicker than stock, it would be for me. I have little to none soldering skills, but I do have plenty of tools to make liners. That may be why they say "not to solder the liners". I do have a low temp soldering kit but I have never used it yet. Hopefully one of the "real" knife repairmen will give us some insight. Bill
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

I think Caddyman is right, you are best off, to cut out new liners. That being said, if you have a good solder joint, and your scales fit tightly between the bolsters, and you have a good secure glue and pin job, the scales may take the strain off the liners, and be okay? Try it and let us know how it holds up? I did one, with brazing rod, and it worked , but it would have been less trouble to cut out a new one. Technically, this was a weld, since the base metal and the filler are mixing.
Attachments
P4200009.JPG
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

normally cracked liners are caused by out gassing of celluloid handles caddy. silver solder can work but I recommend making new liners but it isn't exactly necessary
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

Thats one cause I didnt think of. Thanks MM.
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

I've never tried soldering liners. But just thinking about it, if the liners cracked the first time as solid pieces of metal, aren't the odds pretty high that they would crack again with just a solder joint? I can't imagine any solder joint being stronger then the original solid piece. ::shrug::

WB
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

99% of the cracked liners I have seen were caused by off-gassing celluloid. In the gaseous form, the sulfuric acid released (by the off-gassing) weakens the liner and it typically cracks at the point of greatest stress, i.e. the pivot pin. If you soldier cracked liner, the weakened liner may crack elsewhere, or it may not.
Ya’ never know ‘till you do it. :mrgreen:

IMHO, it is far faster, easier & less expensive to make a new liner.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
dobro59

Post by dobro59 »

MM you are spot on,one was an old 93047 cracked ice handle,the other a camillus streamline with that old funky floor tile looking
handle.After reading all comments,since they are not cracked the whole width of the liner,i think i will rehandle and hope for the best. :) :)
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

If you do solder rather than have it brazed, I recommend one of the harder silver solders. They're available on ebay and are more likely to hold-up than the usual soft silver solder we normally use to solder bolsters on with.
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

I've had to make new liners a few times. I use the K&S brass stock you can get at Ace Hdw, works great and not as difficult. Just remember to keep the old liners / scales for the hole templates !
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
dobro59

Post by dobro59 »

Well,I soldered up the liners on the streamline and it's been 3 yrs and it is holding up just fine. Rehandled it with some different more eye catching mottled plastic to keep the original look. Have not got around to the 93047,solder job still looks good but no handles put on yet.
I think soldering may be ok if the liner is not cracked all the way across and you have to start with two pieces.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”