INOX Fulcrum Release Stiletto Restoration

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

INOX Fulcrum Release Stiletto Restoration

Post by muskrat man »

I posted this on another forum where automatics are the primary discussion, but thought I'd post it here just to show what kind of a turnaround you can make in a knife's condition.
The dreaded, copy and paste:

This is probably the worst condition/ most difficult Italian I've ever worked on. It looked like it had been run over by a truck. Front bolsters were smashed almost flat, big hammer marks and gouges in them, pivot pin poorly replaced, tons of slop in the blade, handles dried out, cracked and busted with pieces missing, button missing, kickspring broken, blade bent, filed, and ground among other things. Was unsure how well it was going to turn out after I seen it in person. After I got it just about done the blade stopped locking closed, re-disassembled and found out there was debris under the sear that I missed so it wasn't properly engaging the blade. Reassemble and finish, test fire a couple times and hear the dreaded "snap". Button stops working. Arrrgh. re-re-disassemble button return spring broke, so I make a new one and re-re-assemble. Now it works like a new one, locks tight and fires hard. Was able to get all the dents out of the bolsters, reshape and resolder them, straightened the liners, added new scales, made a new button, new kickspring, and cleaned up all the metal. I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out. Hope it's owner likes it.

Before pics are modest about showing the extent of the damage:

Here's some after pics:

P.S all those pins were hand peened, with enough practice you can peen pins so round they almost look spun.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: INOX Fulcrum Release Stiletto Restoration

Post by orvet »

Very nice restore Kaleb! ::tu::
Something tells me your customer got his money worth, because that was obviously a labor of love!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

Are those things actually worth restoring in that condition? Sounds like a few hundred bucks worth of work you did on that and looks like a million bucks. ::tu::
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
Saw Filer

Post by Saw Filer »

WOW! ::ds::
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

I was sure you would have to get it all re-plated...... you did a great job keeping the original parts !

Well done ! ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

IH, yes they are worth restoring usually if it's an older knife from at least the 50's. Fulcrum releases aren't too common these days either. All the work was well under $175 and he did get his moneys worth, it went really smooth and faster than I had anticipated until other things decided to start breaking after I had it finished; so that made up for it LOL. On today's market it should bring over $200 Besides monetary value, the knife held sentimental value to it's owner so it was a good choice to have it restored.

TJ, no replating at all. The blade was stainless and got my usual blade cleaning process, the bolsters are nickel silver, so everything just got reformed and a good thorough polishing.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Absolutely Amazing MM!! Bet it's kinda hard to send one like that back to the owner? ::teary_eyes::

WB

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”