New to the hobby-Want to learn....

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
wheelgun44

New to the hobby-Want to learn....

Post by wheelgun44 »

Hello, I'm Mark Young from Maryville, Tn. I've been looking at this forum for a while just trying to learn a little about how you Pro's do what you do. I have collected pocket knives since I was a kid but just recently got interested in the other side of the hobby-Putting on deer stag antlers, and a little of filework. I've am a member of Smoky Mountain Knife Collector Club which was established in 1978. Most members are just strictly collectors and traders and don't do much work on their knives. I have been setting up my shop over the last year with various tools and equipment to work on my knives. I have restored muscle cars as a hobby for the past 20 years but with economic times the way they are and 2 children the muscle car hobby is just not feasable at this time in my life. I already have many tools in my shop that will come in handy for this new hobby. I would like to try my hand at restoring some older knives but I don't know where to start to find parts and pieces to work with, like backsprings, blades, original handle material, etc. any advice would be appreciated. I have put deer antler handles on about 8 Schrade Sharpfinger knives in the past few months and really enjoyed it. I'd just like to learn a little about restoring older knives, I'd love to hear any recommendations you Pro's have. I know alot of you have accumulated parts over the years and I understand it takes a long time to find certain things. Sorry for the rambling and looking forward to hearing all the advice you all are willing to give.

Thanks

Wheelgun44
big monk

Re: New to the hobby-Want to learn....

Post by big monk »

::welcome:: to AAPK, wheelgun44 !!!! ::tu::

First off____I'm one of the ""collectors"" not someone that tinkers/fixes knives ::shrug:: ____that said,if you scroll down the front of the forums,main page,there is a section full of information along with tutorials ( Knife Creation,Modification,and Restoration Forums ) link below ::tu::
good luck,Monk ::tu::

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=48
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Hi from Australia Mark, ::handshake:: ::welcome::To A.A.P.N.
You have come to the right place to play knives.
Show some knives if you have time... Ken
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

welcome wheelgun44 you have come to the rite place all kinds of nice people here with a lot of info and we all like pics i also live in tennessee jamestown again welcome aboard
gino

Post by gino »

Welcome Mark!
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

::welcome:: Mark!! Knice to meetcha!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Im ""NO""" Pro.. but I'll quote Old Wullie....
PRACTICE ON A FEW JUNKERS, before working on one
of yer gems... LOL
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Welcome aboard Mark!
Perhaps the best thing to do is start reading and asking questions when they arise from what you read. You can ask the questions right in the topic you are reading that brings the question to mind,

If you have tools you are a step ahead, though some of our members do excellent work entirely with hand tools!
You can build up your parts by buying “parts knives” at flea markets or wherever you find them at a good price. You can also swap/trade/buy parts you need in the Knife Mechanics Swap Forum.

One word of caution; knife repair & customizing is FAR MORE ADDICTING than simply collecting knives! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
wheelgun44

Post by wheelgun44 »

I sure appreciate all the welcome messages. I am really looking forward to learning from all of you. I picked up some cheap Rough Rider knives to practice on. I put deer antler handles on a gunstock pattern Rough Rider and it turned out pretty good for my first one. Several of my buddies are asking me to repair their knives but I told them I am a long way from working on other peoples knives. At this point I don't have any "parts" to work with. Where is the best place to find parts knives and or replacement blades, backsprings, original handle material? Also I have some deer antler sheds that my buddies have given me but they won't last me too long. Where do you all get your antlers? Thanks again for all the help. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can of some of the pieces I've been working on. Have a Great day.

Mark
Wheelgun44
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

::welcome::

My advice, since your obviously mechanically inclined, is to find some cheapo knives, or junkers, and tear em down. You'll quickly figure out the mechanics involved, once you see one apart. Knives aren't real complex, but you'll find tolerances are vital to making them work correctly. Theres two or three good step by step threads here in Knife repair and restoration on how to disassemble the little buggers. (I prefer the utility knife blade method)

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, the guys are very receptive, and they don't hold back on they're "trade secrets", so to speak. ::tu::
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

Welcome. eBay ( I hate it) but you can find a lot of parts and parts knives there. During the warmer months, flea markets, swap meets, yard sales ect is a good place to pick up junkers.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
wheelgun44

Post by wheelgun44 »

I appreciate everybodys help and advice. Thanks again for the friendly welcome. I really enjoy this forum and the members seem to be top notch people. Looking forward to learning all I can from all of you.

Mark=Wheelgun44
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Hi Mark and welcome to the friendliest knife forum on the web. I'd started out as a collector and like you, got the itch to see ehat I could do with a knife. That was quite a few years ago and I joined AAPK in hopes of sharing some hard-earded knowledge and experience to those coming here eagar to learn. I know I'm just one of many with that attitude, but I just wanted you to know you've come to the right place.

Parts are indeed half the battle. When a good deal on that stag appears, jump on it. Same goes with parts knives, a stash of blades someone is willing to sell and even yard sales will look different to you now. That $2 junker still has good blades or scales for a knife you have (or may have). It's taken me years to accumulate the parts and parts knifes I currently have and you'll find out there's a fair investment just in those. You can also find batches of blades and other parts on ebay, but it may take a while to actually run across a good deal on something useable (I know I'm rambling, but I ain't done yet). One suggestion I'd like to make is that you try an old high quality knife (worn out though) rather than the cheap China folders. Personally I've found the nickel-silver and especially the brass on them to be much softer than in knives made here or Germany. Getting the knife completely apart and reassembly is much easier with the harder materials. Try one of each and you'll see the difference.

I'm having eye surgery this Wednesday and won't be in the shop much for a week or maybe two, so I'll probably be free to answer some questions for a while. I hope I can help and once again, welcome aboard.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”