Working with antlers

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Toejammer

Working with antlers

Post by Toejammer »

My wife snagged a deer shed up on her dad's ranch this summer. it's pretty bleached out, but seems solid. i cut a section off the top, to check how it looks inside. My question is this - is a 1/4 inch outer shell deep enough for knife scales ? I don't want to pin them, then wind up sanding down to the marrow. (if thats the proper term) Also, is there any treatment I need to do before using them ?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
ea42

Re: Working with antlers

Post by ea42 »

They don't need to be traeted at all. Just cut a section a bit longer than what you need, then cut that in half. Flat sand the cut side down until your cover is a tiny bit thicker than your bolster (watch the width as well), this way you'll have sanded away most of the marrow. You may wind up with a bit showing if you're handling a barehead knife, but otherwise most of what's left will be hidden by the bolsters.

Eric
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thanks Ea42 !

I was hoping all I'd have to do is grind the backside, if I measure just above the bolster, I shouldn't sand / polish down to the marrow from the top.

Is the marrow off a deer antler worth trying to use for 2nd cut work ?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

Naw, the core part is too punky.

If those sheds spent a year up in the Sandhills, they might be too weathered to work without doing some stabilization or reinforcement. You'll be able to tell, a piece of scrap will be brittle.
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

They may well have been up there for years, we were digging through a "blowout" when my wife spotted em. They're bleached as white as snow, but don't seem to be brittle. Of course, I might have to reconsider taking a torch to them to get any color. ::hmm::

I was kinda thinkin the same thing about the 2nd cut, the core of these seem to be pretty porous looking.
Bruce Lee
coffeecup

Post by coffeecup »

When you cut it up, cut a toothpick-sized strip to test. Try to flex it a bit. If it snaps, the stuff may require extra care. If you can flex it just a tad, it will probably be OK.

I never had any luck torching color into antler, but various dyes work fairly well (unless the stuff is porous all over, then it dyes like bone). You might try a drop of potassium permanganate or leather dye on some scrap to see how it is absorbed.
Quality should not be an accident. So what is the explanation for some of the knives we've seen in the past few years? (from A Knifebuyer's Manifesto)
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have used brown & light brown leather dye very successfully on bleached out antler.
If it has become porous you may want to dye it then send it out to be stabilized.
Then there should be no problem with it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

Thnx guys, I like the leather dye idea ! I wasn't looking forward to toasting that bone...... smells bad enough just sanding it. ::barf::
Bruce Lee

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”