Attaching a bolster to the liner

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
just bob

Attaching a bolster to the liner

Post by just bob »

One thing I have had happen to me recently is for the bolster to pop loose from the liner. It is hard to keep the original hole allignment and to try and get this attached back. I have tried epoxy and this doesn't work well. I suppose this needs to be drilled again, but don't know the best way to do this. I even saw some where that they say to solder this. The next time one of the experts on here does that process please post some pics. It would be very helpful to the rest of us. Thanks
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Elvis

Re: Attaching a bolster to the liner

Post by Elvis »

You'll need to remove the handle material (lest it burn), clean both surfaces to bare metal (is this a Rough Rider, cause they come glued on?). get some silver solder and some stay-brite flux. Treat both surfaces, place small amounts of solder in place and clamp the bolster down. I "paint" the areas I don't want solder sticking with a yellow ochre paste. I''ve heard that pencil lead works for this too. When heated (I find a small torch works best), the bolster will drop into position, but you might want to have a pin to check hole alignment and needle nose to check side-to-side flush. There might be pictures in the tutorial section. I don't have any bolsters that need soldering right now. Maybe check Boseknives.com and see if Tony Bose has a tutorial on it. He's good!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”