Enderes three blade

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Mason

Enderes three blade

Post by Mason »

Here is a nice old "Enderes" three blade folder. It's interesting that the "Enderes" company moved from Iowa to Minnesota and then back to Iowa in the first half of the twentieth century. Anyone have others to show?
Attachments
Enderes on catalog sml 2.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Enderes three blade

Post by TripleF »

Knice knife, but you're killin' me......you gotta show all blades! :mrgreen:
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Mason

Post by Mason »

Aside from kitchen knives and a fairly large range of pocket knives, Enderes produced quite a variety of tools from screw drivers and pliers to saw blades and drill bits. It appears that they shut the doors in 1940.
Attachments
Enderes sml.JPG
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

From the examples that I have seen, ENDERES pocket knives were made on contract by Imperial.
Attachments
Enderes Catalog Pages_Page_1.jpg
Enderes Catalog Pages_Page_2.jpg
Enderes Catalog Pages_Page_3.jpg
Enderes Catalog Pages_Page_4.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mason

Post by Mason »

knifeaholic wrote:From the examples that I have seen, ENDERES pocket knives were made on contract by Imperial.
Thanks for these advertisement cuts and I believe that you are right on the money in that this model was a contract knife from Imperial and made after 1926. Do you have a year for these ads? I would guess that they date somewhere from 1926 to 1940 when "Enderes" had moved back to Iowa. The catalog which I have dates to 1923 when they were located in Minnesota and does not appear that they were using Imperial as a contractor. I'm curious if they made all or any of their knives in this time period from 1916 to 1926? Enclosed is just one double page of knives to see if you or anyone else recognizes specific knife models or patterns from another American cutler. (most already know, but left click twice on image to enlarge)
Attachments
Enderes cat example sml.JPG
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Mason; at first glance the knives in your catalog appear to have been made by Utica. Hard to tell. I agree not Imperial though. Interesting contrast to the knives in my catalog pages, which are definitely Imperial. Mine has no date.

Steve
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

knifeaholic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 am Mason; at first glance the knives in your catalog appear to have been made by Utica. Hard to tell. I agree not Imperial though. Interesting contrast to the knives in my catalog pages, which are definitely Imperial. Mine has no date.

Steve
Here’s a 3 and 3/8 long ( closed) Cattle knife .
Steve ,this one is similar to Masons and would like your feedback . You mentioned Utica. This one could be but it looks and feels more like Camillus. Do you know if they ever made some for Enderes ? It’s in the catalog pages shown here under Cattle knives.
Anyone else have anything or another knife please have at it . As has been stated they moved a couple times .
Take care out there .
Attachments
C396A11C-C412-45BA-8F6D-72CF25FACEE3.jpeg
C2245E49-110E-4F48-927A-CA7CC99FD8AA.jpeg
8C952B74-FB9B-4A71-8A4E-9F2C21458551.jpeg
JP
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have only one Enderes knife, this 4 blade Scout/camper model that is 3 and 5/8 inches long. I see it in the 3rd picture above for 98 cents. lol
It is a substantially built knife with a heavy brass center divider. Are the swedges on the master blade any indicator of who made it?
IMG_5170.JPG
IMG_5171.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Knives posted by Ripster and by Olde Cutler are both definitely Imperial, IMO.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

knifeaholic wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:00 pm Knives posted by Ripster and by Olde Cutler are both definitely Imperial, IMO.
Thanks Steve. Believe after more research and your feedback you’re correct. This one is well built and not the tin covered imperial that came later . And digging out a few older Imperial’s they were made better than the latter years.
Been fun and interesting ,thanks OC and Steve for your posts . ::handshake::
JP
wlf

Post by wlf »

Most likely made by Utica, as was pointed out by Dimitri in comparing not only knives ( Utica bone and shield) but the catalog cuts' descriptions. Notice the same odd spelling of wharncliff.
Enderes          Albert Lea, Minnesota.jpg
Enderes181.jpg
Enderes181.jpg (50.28 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Attachments
Enderes          Albert Lea, Minnesota (2).jpg
Enderes          Albert Lea, Minnesota (3).jpg
Enderes Albert Lea Minn  1.jpg
Enderes Albert Lea Minn 1.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Utica catalog  farmers jack.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
wlf

Post by wlf »

The catalog page I have that Hank Hanson graciously gave me, I have no year date.
Attachments
Enderes Albert Lea Minn.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

knifeaholic wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:00 pm Knives posted by Ripster and by Olde Cutler are both definitely Imperial, IMO.
Thanks Steve, I should have shown pictures of the blade swedges (both sides of blade) and thick brass center divider I mentioned.
IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5173.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

wlf wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:24 pm Most likely made by Utica, as was pointed out by Dimitri in comparing not only knives ( Utica bone and shield) but the catalog cuts' descriptions. Notice the same odd spelling of wharncliff.

Enderes Albert Lea, Minnesota.jpg
Enderes181.jpg
That’s one heck of a Farmers Jack there ! WOW
Thanks for including the catalog cuts .
Hope things are well with you ,take care .
JP
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

wlf wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:53 pm The catalog page I have that Hank Hanson graciously gave me, I have no year date.
I think your add would date from the 1916-1926 time period when Enders were making their own knifes in Minnesota. .
I base my guess on the only Enders knife I have that that is a dead ringer to the second knife from the top left in your add .my knife has no reference to Gutenberg ,Iowa on tang stamps .
769EF3CC-4C72-425F-9FE0-FBE18CE49D0B.png
Ednders
Ednders
Enders
Enders

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”