Federal Knife Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
trail

Federal Knife Company

Post by trail »

I have found very little information on Federal Knife Company or Thornton knives on the internet. The best seems to come from AAPK so I will quote from previous posts:

"Levine's mentions two Thornton Knife companies, One a Camillus company that I knew about (1920s) and then a brand name used by Federal Knife company that seems to have been only active 1945 to 1950. And then was sold to Colonial." - Gr8Scout

"the johnson stamp belonged to the federal knife co. out of johnson, r. i. made knives from 1945-1950 and was sold to the colonial knife co. they also stamped knives with thornton. from b.llevine3" - jonet143

"Johnston USA was a mark used by Federal Knife co, 1944-1949 according to Goins. Having no idea about Federal Knife Co ::shrug:: I found that it was owned by two former employees of the Colonial Knife co, Arthur Pagaro and Vito Del Deo and was based in Rhode Island... again according to Goins. I hope this helps :)" - smiling-knife

There is a Federal Knife Inc in Palmyra, IN currently in business but I don't think it has anything to do with the old Rhode Island company.

Anybody have anything to add?

Here is a bolsterless jack stamped Thornton. It has good carbon steel blades with serious snap, and what appear to be bakelite handles.
Attachments
thornton.jpg
thornton_tang.jpg
trail

Re: Federal Knife Company

Post by trail »

Here's another Thornton, metalflake green handle and an arched tang stamp. I find it amusing to think this little knife company that lasted just 5 or 6 years had at least two tang stamps - maybe more if they really made Johnston stamped knives as well. From watching ebay auctions, it looks like Federal Knife was a major supplier of girlie knives for a while. So I know there have to be some horn dawgs at AAPK with big collections of girlie knives, lets see some Thorntons - don't be shy.
Attachments
thornton_2_scaled.jpg
thornton_tang_2.jpg
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

Nice knives and info about a company I've hardly heard about. :D
Knivlaus mann er livlaus mann.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

And to add a little more confusion to the soup,here is my only Federal knife;a two blade serpentine jack with green celluloid scales marked on both blades(Federal Knife Company Syracuse NY).Could be a Camillus made knife;it is pretty nicely made.Sorry for the poor pics;I had to shoot them indoors.
Attachments
FederalKnifeCo1.jpg
FederalKnifeCo1.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
FederalKnifeCo2.jpg
FederalKnifeCo2.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
FederalKnifeCo4.jpg
FederalKnifeCo4.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 5711 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
knfcollector

Post by knfcollector »

knife7knut wrote:And to add a little more confusion to the soup,here is my only Federal knife;a two blade serpentine jack with green celluloid scales marked on both blades(Federal Knife Company Syracuse NY).Could be a Camillus made knife;it is pretty nicely made.Sorry for the poor pics;I had to shoot them indoors.

Totally different company than the RI one that produced the Thortons.
KNFCOLLECTOR
gino

Post by gino »

Here is an old Thorton I dug up. Its very simular to the one you posted before.
bakolite handled.
Attachments
Gina 004.jpg
Gina 005.jpg
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
trail

Post by trail »

It took a while but I finally turned up a Johnston to add to the collection.
Attachments
johnston.jpg
johnston_tang.jpg
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

2 blue Thortons,usualy I see the Purple ones..
Attachments
thortons.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I am bringing this topic or thread back from the dead, to the land of the living, because this pocket knife fits it so well. This arrived recently in a group of pocket knives that I bought. This particular pocket knife was NOT the target of my purchase. It is a THORNTON U.S.A. (a trademark used by Federal Knife Company), one blade, 2 1/2" closed (not including the bail), one tang stamp, all metal, pocket knife. Per GOINS, it is from 1944 to 1948/1949. Overall, it's in GOOD condition. One handle looks like it may have had advertising or something on it and it was buffed out (poorly). It needed minimal cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:11 pm I am bringing this topic or thread back from the dead, to the land of the living, because this pocket knife fits it so well. This arrived recently in a group of pocket knives that I bought. This particular pocket knife was NOT the target of my purchase. It is a THORNTON U.S.A. (a trademark used by Federal Knife Company), one blade, 2 1/2" closed (not including the bail), one tang stamp, all metal, pocket knife. Per GOINS, it is from 1944 to 1948/1949. Overall, it's in GOOD condition. One handle looks like it may have had advertising or something on it and it was buffed out (poorly). It needed minimal cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Interesting and informative, Skip, thanks!
Ike
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:06 pm Interesting.....
Thank you, Ike. 🍻
You're welcome, Ike. 🍻
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
WadesBlades

Post by WadesBlades »

I have a Thornton to throw on this thread. I don't think the scales are Bakelite though.
Attachments
bb.jpg
bb_3.jpg
bb_11.jpg
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Since this topic has recently been revived, here is a celluloid handled Johnston I thought I'd share before listing for it for auction. Since the liner is brass, it may have been produced toward the end of Federal's existence. I am not responsible for the zealous cleaning or the edge. It's been with me a couple of years and the celluloid does appear to be stable. An interesting observation, there appears to be a layer of brass between the handle covers and the nickel silver scales. Could this have been added to strengthen the handle or to add luster or color to the covers?
Attachments
IMG_5888.jpeg
IMG_5889.jpeg
IMG_5890.jpeg
IMG_5891.jpeg
IMG_5894.jpeg
IMG_5895.jpeg
IMG_5896.jpeg
IMG_5897.jpeg
CarMan

Post by CarMan »

Have you sold this Johnston knife yet? Since my last name is Johnston & I recently found out about these I’m interested in them. Thank you
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I happen to have this E.O., stamped Federal Knife Company Syracuse USA.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220524-141527.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
CarMan

Post by CarMan »

That’s nice
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked this Federal Camper/Scout out of a $3 box at the flea market today. You dont see Federal very often. It is not in the best shape and will have to come apart and have some work done, but should be a decent camper knife.
IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5092.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

CarMan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:48 pm That’s nice
Thanks, only 8 months late. ::dang::

Awesome find, OC, and a steal of a deal. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:32 pm

The reason I say it will have to come apart and have some work done is that it appears to have been apart once already and either the awl is not the correct one of the catchbit is incorrect. The math problem of blade thickness plus catchbit thickness equals spring thickness does not compute.
IMG_5102.JPG
CarMan

Post by CarMan »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:16 pm

The reason I say it will have to come apart and have some work done is that it appears to have been apart once already and either the awl is not the correct one of the catchbit is incorrect. The math problem of blade thickness plus catchbit thickness equals spring thickness does not compute.

IMG_5102.JPG
There’s a guy on one of the knife facebook groups I’m on that comes highly recommended for knife repair. Hit me up if you’re interested.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

CarMan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:23 am

IMG_5102.JPG
There’s a guy on one of the knife facebook groups I’m on that comes highly recommended for knife repair. Hit me up if you’re interested.
I have been doing all my own knife repair, modifications, and new construction for several years.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:07 pm
CarMan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:23 am

IMG_5102.JPG
I have been doing all my own knife repair, modifications, and new construction for several years.
And doing great work on them as well.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I got that Federal camper/Scout apart and fixed up. The problem was that it had a catchbit replacement done that was .054" thick, and what it needed was one .032" thick. So I made a new one from brass and reassembled.
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5106.JPG
CarMan

Post by CarMan »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 pm I got that Federal camper/Scout apart and fixed up. The problem was that it had a catchbit replacement done that was .054" thick, and what it needed was one .032" thick. So I made a new one from brass and reassembled.
IMG_5104.JPG
IMG_5105.JPG
IMG_5106.JPG
Very nice work
PocketknifeTherapy

Post by PocketknifeTherapy »

Thread is old but has been going quite a while and I just discovered it. Recently inherited my grandfather's pocketknives and have been going through them trying to learn more about them and pocketknives in general and thought I'd share a Thornton I've found. Apologies if this is considered NSFW, looks like grandpa got a little saucy! :D
Attachments
PXL_20240110_114939339right.jpg
PXL_20240110_115013873right.jpg
PXL_20240110_115021886right.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”