Alfred & son celebrated cutlery

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ludwig26

Alfred & son celebrated cutlery

Post by ludwig26 »

Picked this little jewel up but don't know a thing about it. Goins says 1850 to 1875 and that's it. I don't even know where it was made. The tang stamp I show is all the markings I can find. It is a iron knife 2 11/16 closed. I would appreciate any help I could get.
Thanks, kerry
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Beechtree

Re: Alfred & son celebrated cutlery

Post by Beechtree »

Nice knife Ludwig,
I can't find any Alfred & Son in Tweedale's Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers. To me it looks to be a German made knife.
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Normally when you see the words,"Celebrated Cutlery" it is usually associated with a knife made in Sheffield and occasionally Germany. In the case of your knife I think it may refer to a German manufacturer. I have one Alfred and son knife and the stamp is quite different from yours and I believe mine was a Sheffield knife. Strictly speculation on my part but the type face and the nail mark on my knife say mid 1800's to me. Here is a pic of the tang stamp.
Attachments
Alfred&SonCelebratedCutlery1 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
ludwig26

Post by ludwig26 »

Thanks Beechtree. I checked my knife collectors encyclopedia in there German cutlery list and found nothing. One of these guys on AAPK probably has a roll of em and will check in.
It's in really nice shape.
Kerry

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”