Great-grandpa's Knife

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Scoobydoo

Great-grandpa's Knife

Post by Scoobydoo »

Hi All,

I was the recipient of an old 1930s era cigar box / turned jewelry box, and it had an old pocketknife inside (among other things). I'm pretty sure it belonged to my great grandpa, or maybe even his father. I noticed it said Southington Cut Co on the blades, and living in CT, I know where Southington is but had never heard of the cutlery company.

I'm wondering if you kind folks could help me identify this knife and the time period it might have been used. I'm also wondering if it would have been sold outside Connecticut, or if I should have reason to believe that someone in my family travelled through. Any help connecting to my family history is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2308.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Great-grandpa's Knife

Post by gsmith7158 »

Welcome to AAPK! Looks like your great grandpa really liked that knife. Southington was in business from 1869 to 1905 and sold locally and nationally. Here's a thread where their knives are discussed and shown.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ry#p471624
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

They are hard to come by. I have found only two in 20 some years of collecting. Nice old knife with a lot of character. Welcome to AAPK too by the way. ____Dave
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Here is a good bit of information about Southington: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -1876-quot

I noticed you didn't ask what it's worth; a lot of first time posters do. While it is not worth much, the fact that you didn't ask seems to say you intend to keep it and enjoy it as a family treasure. Don't clean it. Maybe a nylon brush to remove the loose rust and a couple of drops of oil. I'd put it in a drawer or on a shelf with a picture of your grandpa and great grandpa and pull it out now and again and remember them. Pass it on one day.

Dennis
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

By the way, that pattern is known as a "Congress". You're a lucky fella to have something that belonged to your great-grandfather.
Attachments
Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Scoobydoo

Post by Scoobydoo »

Thanks so much for your comments! Based on the age, I was figuring it belonged to a great-grandfather, a man I am too young to have ever met. The fact that it was saved all these years means something, though, even if I can't ask my grandma or grandpa about it's history (they too have passed). Wasn't interested in selling it, just planning to keep it in the box where I found it amongst other family things. More interested in the history than the cash.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Scoobydoo wrote:Thanks so much for your comments! Based on the age, I was figuring it belonged to a great-grandfather, a man I am too young to have ever met. The fact that it was saved all these years means something, though, even if I can't ask my grandma or grandpa about it's history (they too have passed). Wasn't interested in selling it, just planning to keep it in the box where I found it amongst other family things. More interested in the history than the cash.
Good on ya. Some things are worth more than money.

Btw, welcome to aapk!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Beautiful, old and well used knife! Welcome to AAPK Scooby. That is a special one. You are lucky to have such a great family piece. Southington made very high quality cutlery, in the old style, all by hand.
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Scoobydoo

Post by Scoobydoo »

You've been so helpful. Wonder if you can help me identify or get more info on more item that was in the same box?
Attachments
IMG_2309.JPG
IMG_2310.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”