Traditonal Hunters - Fifty years old (1965) and older…...

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Traditonal Hunters - Fifty years old (1965) and older…..

Post by danno50 »

Great knives posted. Longblade, really like the American Knife Company and the Miller Bros. Beautiful bone on those Schrades, wiseguy. Fantastic pair of Cases, wazu. Fine collection Dave, really like the Catt King of the Woods. Superb hatchet set, timgreene. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

some beauties here ::tu:: I'm with Scott trying to figure out what exactly is a folding hunter.Here are my folding hunters I believe the only one old enough is my Grandpas 125ot,I know my Buck 110's aren't old enough.I'm positive this Marbles Gladstone from 1918 qualifies :)
Attachments
Folding hunters +trappers 012.jpg
fall 2014 103.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

OK;here are a few:
1st pic top to bottom:
Aerial Cutlery Coke Bottle(since re-handled due to outgassing).
Humason & Beckley New Britain CT
Wilbert Cutlery Co Chicago
Northfield Knife Co

2nd pic top to bottom:
Westaco
Imperial Knife Co (two)

3rd pic: Colonial Knife Co(curved stamp)folding hunter/cleaver.

4th pic:Deer foot hunters:top Westphal Austria-bottom:unmarked.

5th pic:top-Penn Cutlery Co bottom- Austria

6th pic:top-UK&R Co.Montreal -bottom: A.W.Wadsworth

7th pic: KA-BAR Dogshead folder.

8th pic:Paris Bead Co Chicago

9th pic:Unmarked folder with an unusual nail mark

10th pic: 2 early Case 65 patterns;the one with the bail looks to be factory.Beautiful stag scales but seriously pitted and could not read the stamp.
Attachments
2012Drawer5 7.jpg
2012Drawer5 8.jpg
2012Drawer5 9.jpg
DeerFoot007.jpg
DeerFoot009.jpg
DeerFoot011.jpg
KABAR12-4-23 1.jpg
Paris Bead1.jpg
UnmarkedKnife09.JPG
Case5165and6165.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

[quote="LongBlade"] Joe - that King of Woods has to pre-date 1965 - I think Cattaraugus Cutlery Co only existed until 1963 so throw it up for viewing quote]

Of course, 65 wasn't that long ago. I think I was "amazed" at how neat and old your knives were and didn't think mine would fit. So ... now I've got more than one :D and hopefully tomorrow I can get a few in here.
Absolutely beautiful knives shown here.
Thanks.
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I'm enjoying this! Some great knives shown already. I've posted it previously elsewhere but I'll contribute this one to the cause cuz it's rare, it's old, and it's a hunter of unusual design so it fits here. It also has some beautiful Rogers bone handles. Case Bradford (1914-1919) 6001 tri-fold hunter. Mark side is stamped Case Bradford Pa. Reverse side is stamped Case's Tested XX.

Ken
Attachments
Case Bradford 6001 trifold
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Wow – I think am in Hunter heaven ::ds:: … lots of really great old Hunters of all kinds… thanks to all for sharing them ::tu::

Djknife13 – amazing that the Ulster, Maher & Grosh and Holley are identical triplets and unique ;-)… Was the Holley etched with Rip Van Winkle – never heard of that knife?? Any guess as to what knife maker produced the Maher & Grosh Hunter – certainly similar to the other 2 ? All of them in your follow-up additions are really beauties as well…

Timgreen48 – great to see another fixed blade hunter and axe set as well…

Garddogg56 – that Marble fixed blade is no doubt a well known classic Hunter… and from what I hear a great quality knife!!

The Case Hunters - thanks to all who showed them!! - are no doubt a classic pattern all to themselves in terms of handle design and 2 blades with that clip and skinner… so much different than the single blade coke bottle design seen on many others.. and Ken – the folding blade and design on that old stag-handled Case is unique – a great addition ::tu:: ..

K7Knut – you have an amazing collection of Hunters (and you always show some amazing knives and quite the variety as well ::tu:: )… like them all for sure but particularly the Northfield – a lockback too – does it have a blade etch? I have seen the DeerFoot Hunters but they never cease to amaze me - they literally used every part of the deer :D … and that Colonial with a cleaver – an all in one for cleaning and butchering in one folder :wink: ..

Anybody have that old famous Winchester Model 1920 with stag handles – never seen it but read that it is one of the most sort after Hunters 8) … If I'm not mistaken didn't Remington make a "bullet" Hunter as well??

As Ken said – I’m enjoying this - … lots of eye candy!!!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great topic! ::tu::

I really like Western knives, IMHO they have some of the finest steel in the blades.
Here is a L44 5-1/2". It is shown on page 181of Harvey Platts' book, in the 1950 catalog reprint section.
Western L44 a.jpg
Western L44 c.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Longblade, in regards to the name Rip Van Winkle, that's what Roy Ritchie and Ron Stewart listed that folding hunter as in both of their books, Standard Guide and Big Book of Pocket Knives. Being a collector of "large working" knives of all sorts, I showed my wife the picture of the Holley Rip Van Winkle in their book and told her that was my dream knife. I told her I would own one of them some day. She asked me "What are the odds?" I said "zero. Holleys are rare and this is their biggest and if I did find one I probably couldn't afford it anyway". About a month later I was sitting at a knife/gun show at our club table (North Star Blade Collectors) and the guy at the table next to ours had a box of junk and parts knives under his table. He told me to look and see if there was anything I could use in there, and the first knife I pulled out was the Holley with a little piece of metal taped to the side of it. The metal was the tip of the lockback spring that slips under the release. I gave him 30 or 40 dollars for the knife, and knife magician Larry Hayes built and installed a new piece for me. The other two are pretty much identical so who knows if the same company made all three or if it was a standard pattern the English cutlers all made. At least three of my best knives and highest valued ones joined my collection for very little money including a Marbles Safety Folding Hunter and a Ka-Bar Grizzley. I was going to slip them in on the pictures but I figured I had taken up enough space. Thanks for your interest and this thread. ___Dave
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

These have been posted previously in other threads:

Winchester 1920 with bone handle (have not seen a stag rendition)
Schatt & Morgan
NYK
Remington R1303 bone
Remington R1306 stag
Attachments
Winchester 1920 Bone Shield.jpg
Schatt Morgan Folding Hunter Shield copy.jpg
NYK Folding Hunter Shield.jpg
Remington R1303 3.jpg
Remington R1306 3.jpg
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

AW geez Ralph, now you got me drooling all over my keyboard. Those are really good looking knives,____Dave
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Great old Western Dale!!

Ralph - like DJK13 - I had to change my shirt and put on a bib ::rotflol:: .... all are beauties - the blade on that Winchester is gorgeous (and I had read there is one in stag but never have seen a photo myself)... as is the NYK Hunter... and Remington Bullets... great collection ::tu:: ...

DJK13 - cool story on the Holley... When I found my Holley Hunter I was in an old shop looking at a few knives... picked up the Hunters of course first :D ... I forgot my reading glasses that day so asked the owner what the stamp was on bottom of blade... he said "Olley something ... than ville".. and he continued to say not sure.... I asked to use his loop :shock: and than said nice old knife... He asked for just a few dollars more than yours and I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough :wink: ...
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

As long as we are adding stories to these old hunters I might as well add these. The Picture knife is a Golden rule I bought from an old gentleman, about 80 yrs old who claims it was his Dads and the family story goes that his dad gutted a deer with it the day the gentleman was born. The scales were badly deteriorated celuloid(hence the pitting), but the blade was so full I still gave him $50 for it and had Larry Hayes rescale it with some period looking pictures. The Marbles I found in an antique shop for $12 with it's origional shieth. The Grizzley, I posted before when I first got it in another thread. It's stamped "H.Sears ans Sons 1865" and has been authenticated at least to my satisfication and is the only one we know of with this stamping that has surfaced. I paid $22 for it with ugly wood scales that were glued on and had Larry rescale it and make if functional again. It was a mess when I bought it and I've left the blade close to how I found it. ____Dave
Attachments
folding hunters third pic 001.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

This OVB was purchased in Duluth and the town of Petreil, from the picture on the knife along with Wm. Gustafson, is now only a township about 50 miles north of Duluth, with no actual town except for the old town hall which is a senior citizens center. The knife is dated 1912 from the picture under the back scale with the Finnish words Mulstoksi Salmilta plus a couple more pictures. I spent a day up at Petreil finding the town hall, location of the old Gustafson farmstead, and a Grandson who still lives in the area. The Grandson went to school with a fellow collector who travels to knife clubs with me and was a childhood friend of his older brother(small world). The scales show no sign of deteriorating and I pray they don't start in my lifetime. Wm. Gustafson was a Finnish marksman who was forced by the Russian govt into teaching marksmanship to Russian soldiers before WW1 and migrated to Northern Mn. sometime prior to 1912. I offered the family the knife back for my cost but they declined which didn't break my heart at all.___Dave
Attachments
gustafson knife 001.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Man, oh man, you guys a showing some really nice knives here.

I'll get my scruffies in here, finally. I just hope they are early 65.

Great thread, Lee.
Attachments
IMG_5792.JPG
IMG_5804.JPG
IMG_5805.JPG
IMG_5806.JPG
IMG_5809.JPG
Joe
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

RalphAlsip wrote:These have been posted previously in other threads:

Winchester 1920 with bone handle (have not seen a stag rendition)
Schatt & Morgan
NYK
Remington R1303 bone
Remington R1306 stag
..ralph, that's some of the best-looking bone I've ever seen!!!......... ::tu:: .........
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Hey Joe - no wonder it took you this long to take the pics - look at that bounty of really nice Hunters ::tu:: ... I recognize some of them... hard to miss the Case knives based on their design... what are some of the rest of those beauties?? The fixed blade in 2nd photo down has my eye for sure - who's the maker on that one??

Post by wazu013 »

Her's a couple more old Case patterns.
Attachments
551.jpg
KnifAX015.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great knives, wazu.

Thank you, Lee. That knife is an Imperial. It is sheathed in 3rd photo along with another Imperial that I got from Orvet, AKA Dale. It has the plastic sheath. I was really taken with the big drop point on that thing. Picts will enlarge.
Glad you liked the knives, Lee.
Again, great thread.
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Wazu, that Case 551 is a rare beauty for sure. Great stag! I'm pea green with envy - will have to talk with my preacher about coveting thy neighbors knife :lol: . Can I talk you into some more pictures? How old is it?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Wazu, that Case 551 is a rare beauty for sure. Great stag! I'm pea green with envy - will have to talk with my preacher about coveting thy neighbors knife :lol: . Can I talk you into some more pictures? How old is it?

Ken
Thanks Ken,
Here's a couple more pics. As for it's age my best guess is 1920-1940. It's tang stamped as a fixed blade with CASE (Serifs) and the snap on the sheath is Case Tested XX. But it could be a little newer.
Attachments
551-1.jpg
Tested551.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Wazu - That old Case is awesome ::tu:: ... I'm with Ken - How long is it? The knife/axe set is cool too - think that is the 2nd knife/axe set on this thread that has the blade & axe interchangeable in the handle. Does the sheath accommodate either the blade or axe, and where does the "cutting edge" not being used go when not in use?

Post by wazu013 »

LongBlade wrote:Wazu - That old Case is awesome ::tu:: ... I'm with Ken - How long is it? The knife/axe set is cool too - think that is the 2nd knife/axe set on this thread that has the blade & axe interchangeable in the handle. Does the sheath accommodate either the blade or axe, and where does the "cutting edge" not being used go when not in use?
Thanks LB,
The 551 has a 5 3/4" blade and is 9 5/8" overall.
The knife ax sheaths up with the handle and knife blade in the front and the ax head tucks in under the flap in back. You can drop the knife blade in the sheath when you use the ax head. It's a pretty cool set up. There seems to be a lot of knife-ax sets around. There's always a few for sale on fleabay.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a Pre 1964 Puma Waidmesser.
Attachments
Puma Waidmesser.jpg
Puma Waidmesser -1.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice Puma for sure Wazu ::tu:: .... Same blades as mine including that blunt nosed gutting blade but different design... Is that setup as a split spring? On my Jadgmesser each blade has its own spring... BTW - I found my serial # for the Puma in their production chart - made Oct 1965.... Given the difficulty dating knives thought it was cool I was able to find not only the year but the month :D ...

Post by wazu013 »

LongBlade wrote:Nice Puma for sure Wazu ::tu:: .... Same blades as mine including that blunt nosed gutting blade but different design... Is that setup as a split spring? On my Jadgmesser each blade has its own spring... BTW - I found my serial # for the Puma in their production chart - made Oct 1965.... Given the difficulty dating knives thought it was cool I was able to find not only the year but the month :D ...
It does have a spit spring set up. ::tu::

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”