Golden Rule Co. Chicago

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Salernoslim

Re: Golden Rule Co. Chicago

Post by Salernoslim »

Rocky I stay away from the cell out of fear of gassing too. I know I'm missing out some great knives by doing so though. I love the look of a lot of the older cell handles. One of these days I'might grow a pair and get a little pile of em going.
Robert
mickeyevans

Post by mickeyevans »

K7K, I got my girl that Monroe knife in hopes of getting her interested in my latest obsession but although she added it to her Marilyn collection she still glazes over my other knives. She thinks this love of old knives will pass, like my radio controlled helios hobby
nice collection, I hope to get some Novelty and Canton and Aerial pictures someday
The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.
Mickey
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Interesting topics in this thread. I can relate to the lack of response to a posted topic that seems not to interest anyone but the poster.

I tend to post Robeson stuff in the Robeson Cutlery Co forum now instead of the Knife Lore forum and they appear to interest only a handful. I posted three interesting, to me anyway, items and got one response each to two of them and none to the other.

But, that's Robeson and everybody is not interested in that.

As to the Golden Rule that Mickey posted, I like that knife.

I have a nice one from the time of the Spanish-American War. General Pershing on one side.

It is a big knife. It almost qualifies as a toenail.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
GoldenRule2.JPG
GoldenRule10002.JPG
GoldenRule3.JPG
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Robert we might be missing out but there are sooooo many amazing knives out there to choose from that I personally don't feel the pressure to buy the celluloid. I do have 2-3 knives that are celluloid one is a John Primble, full blades, etched, very nice knife but it is starting to show the signs of out gassing. It is seperated from the rest and eventually I will pull off the scales to save the knife. I feel like I am throwing money away eventually on a knife that at some point "rots".

Charlie, that is a very nice knife. And it does look like it could be a thinner Toenail knife. Charlie in your opinion how long does it take for celluloid scales to deteriorate given an appropriate environment? Do they all breakdown or just a particular type?
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

I admit to being guilty of browsing many, many threads and topics and not expressing
my wonder and amazement. It seems that adding yet another 'thumbs-up' emoticon just doesn't do justice to the knives posted ::shrug::
Sometimes the proper words escape me. . . . . .

To all the true "Collectors" here on AAPK, I encourage you to continue photographing and posting the works of art you have in your possession. Make use of today's technology to preserve those pieces for future generations. Regardless of the response, or lack thereof, you do a great service to the memory of the artisans who created those pieces. Long after the celluloid is gone and the steel rusts away, you provide proof and evidence of the work of true Masters.

::handshake::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Regarding the specialty topics and lack of reponses: I think that the forums where topics with new posts rise to the top will always get more views than the areas where a person has to seek out the posts. I am not saying that anything should be changed. A lot of times I do check the specific brand forums for new posts. Some good points and posts here.
Mel
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mother always said, "If you can't say something nice. Don't say anything at all." I try to live by that. I don't always succeed but it doesn't stop me from trying.

There's one thing you can depend on. I won't lie to you. If I say I like a knife, I like it. If the knife is not attractive to me there is almost always a lack of interest and unless I can dig up something positive to say, I just go on down the road. I don't think I'm the only one who does that.

For example some members have an affinity for old knives, others are addicted to Buck knives and there's a large contingency of Schrade lovers. It's only on occasion I find one of those attractive or interesting so I don't comment on them very often. I'm okay with that because I understand when I don't get a comment on my latest Kershaw 3000 DWO or Camillus 72 because those are my interests shared by less than a hand full. I know that in advance so don't expect any oohing or aahing over my post and it doesn't hurt my feeling when I don't get any responses.

But I like the people. Almost every damn one of you ( :mrgreen: ) so keep posting those knives and quit worrying about anybody else liking them. It's enough that you do.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
mickeyevans

Post by mickeyevans »

Hi Jerry. I think it was you that posted a link to a article on cell handles, or the 'other' Jerry and there is a article in knife world recently
Any way, I read till my hair hurt and seems no one knows for sure, but some cell handles hold up well
dark colors fare better than light colors like cracked ice and I think the better companies might have used better celluloid
Charlie, love that Black Jack Pershing knife, must be by Novelty of Canton Cutlery, the first Co's to be licensed by the patent holder and it is in great shape for a 19th century knive
The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.
Mickey
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mickey, it was the other Jerry.

Even though there are many beautiful examples out there of what can be done with Celluloid, the stuff scares me. The idea of buying a knife only to see it destroy it's self and any value it may have, gives me the shivers. I don't buy knives as an investment. I buy them purely for my pleasure but I also don't throw good money after bad on purpose. For me the risk is too high.

Just the opinion of one opinionated old man.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Dear fellow AAPK-ers,

I'm guilty of reading more of the posts on this forum and replying to very few mostly because I don't want to a fool of myself. That said, I agree with Dimitri in that a short and simple reply after reading a post is not only polite but supportive of the authors effort to write, photograph and create a new and interesting topic.

My mid-year resolution is to reply to each post that I read with some comment.

Thanks for the wake-up call as I'm generally a polite and supportive person to those that I engage with in-person.

Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I belong to a banjo site called Banjo Hang-Out.
There are over 86,000 world-wide members.
Anything posted there typically gets ten times more reads than comments.

Rocky, I don't know enough about celluloid to make any definitive statements. I know that once it starts to deteriorate, there is nothing to do, rip the handles off and try to preserve everything else.

I've read that yellow is the worst offender.

I've read that getting any petroleum based lubricant on it is highly risky.

I do not buy celluloid anymore.

I have a five hundred dollar Robeson MasterCraft demo knife with transparent green celluloid handles rusted to hell and gone lying on a shelf in the basement.

I've been intending to make scans and post before and after pics, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it.

It would be nearly enough to scare every single one of you out of celluloid collecting forever.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

bestgear wrote:a short and simple reply after reading a post is not only polite but supportive of the authors effort to write, photograph and create a new and interesting topic.
Tom, you hit the nail right on the head!

This is exactly what I was trying to express in my previous reply.

The fact that this topic has stimulated this many replies gives me hope for a better response in the future for this forum :D
AAPK Janitor
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I'm one of those that reads a lot of post but don't reply very often if I don't have anything constructive to add. A lot of my post have very few replies. I just assume no one else must be interested in whatever intrigued me. No big deal. Mark.
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Thanks for your reply Charlie and the info. I'm glad to see others feel the same as I do regarding celluloid knives. I do love to look at them but don't want buy them. ::tu::

MB you are very insightful to have made this a sticky. There is a lot of topic threads on the site. I cannot read all of them and frankly I am interested in a select group of cutlery brands. When unique and out of the ordinary topics/threads show up, I bite. I'm with you in saying if I take the time to read the thread I should take the time to express how I feel after doing so even if it is a thumbs up. ::tu:: Common courtesy, yes indeed! Thanks again MB but a bigger thanks to Mick for say something in the first place! ::tu:: ::handshake::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

This site is at the top of my favorites for a reason, you guys (and gals) are the best!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would like to make a few comments regarding replying to posts.
When I log on to this(or any other)site,I usually do a quick scan of the topics in several of my favored forums.If I see something that interests me I read it. If it is a question I feel that I am capable of answering coherently or adding information I will do so.
I have a couple of rules I try and adhere to: I don't like to speculate on an answer unless I am pretty sure the information is correct.I will NOT reply to any negative posts unless I am directly affected by them. I try not to get get into political discussions if possible.
I also don't reply to questions that concern value of a particular item as that is pure speculation.I also don't reply to questions of a repetitive nature unless I refer them to a prior post. My feeling is that if a person learns to use the search feature on any site they will not only learn more but retain that knowledge.
This last feeling has been due to numerous and repetitive questions being asked on other sites in regard to my profession.I have never minded sharing information about the nuances of my craft and will go into some detail regarding a particular way of doing a job but grow quickly tired of answering a hundred or more questions about what materials to use;how to hold a brush;how to thin paint;etc.
One particular site I host has an entire data base devoted to these very questions that I and my co-host spent several months developing and putting into print. Prospective members(joining requires approval)are informed of this base and encouraged to read through it before asking questions.
I know this site has attempted to do a similar services via various topics such as posting of pictures;tang stamps;and other how-to's and references and I applaud the time and effort that has gone into this.Maybe these topics should be consolidated into one particular forum(or beginning of a forum)and be required reading as a condition of becoming a member.It might save a lot of needless posts and ruffled feathers.
Until then I will try and answer as many questions as I feel capable of doing and thank you for listening.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
junebug

Post by junebug »

INTERESTING......................

I came in here to possibly see some KNIVES with naked women on em'........and
run up on a morals discussion....hehehehehheheh :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: (kidding!)

i also do not post on every thread i read....heck, many like : "show yer EDC" i look at 10x's a day :shock: :mrgreen: .....just ta see what ma internet BUDDIES are totein'..........or what they got in the mail ::nod:: .sometimes i do not know the answer to a certain question on brand,value, errr year......so i stay out of it,as to not mislead a member. ::tu::
other times i do not reply because i dont understand why they even MADE A NEW THREAD just for a question that could be found by a search or google search...........or a NEW THREAD to post a pic of a knife and no question err somethin like that where i just do not get why it was posted..... ::shrug:: :mrgreen:

i DO TRY to post as much as i can for my skill level on what i can,when i can......(i think so anywho ::paranoid:: )
and try to be positive as possible,even though i'm a prick...lololololololol (hey if ya weren't warned ..ya are now! lol)

i def. will try better fellas!!!! ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”