List of Pennsylvania knife companies?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
coffeecup

List of Pennsylvania knife companies?

Post by coffeecup »

Does anyone have a list of past knife manufacturers based out of PA? I'm aware of the current makers (Case, GEC, and Queen); any others?

Thanks,
Jim
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: List of Pennsylvania knife companies?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Jim, I don't have a complete list but Levine's Guide lists a lot of PA companies in his knife history section, including Ashmore, Clarenbach & Hereder, L. Herder & Son, C. F. Wolfertz, Beaver Falls Cutlery Co., Howard W. Shipley (Coquanoc Works), Queen City Cutlery Co. (later Queen Cutlery Co.), Tidioute Cutlery Co., C. Platts & Sons, Union Cutlery Co., various Case companies, Eureka Cutlery Co., and Crandall Cutlery Co. All of these were started in mid to late 1800's up to about 1920's.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Post by 0078 »

Lackawanna, fits in with eureka some how?
Where you plant your needs is where your garden grows.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

How could you list Queen City and Queen and not include Schatt & Morgan? :)

I suspect there are a good deal more.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:How could you list Queen City and Queen and not include Schatt & Morgan? :)

I suspect there are a good deal more.

Charlie Noyes
Charlie you are of course correct. The oversight is mine, not Mr. Levine's. He clearly lists Schatt and Morgan as manufacturing in PA. I can only guess maybe I skipped over them since he says they started in New York with their first S&M factory.

Thanks for catching the error.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

I have owned one from every manufacturer. Goins left off a few but to his credit I am still amazed at what he found during a time of little to no internet searching. One that jumps right out is BLACK. I still have one Rare isn't even a good description. Although I am selling off everything. This one just hasn't left the nest yet. I have devoted over 40 years to knives made in Pennsylvania.
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
michaelspayth

Post by michaelspayth »

PA Knives wrote: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 pm I have owned one from every manufacturer. Goins left off a few but to his credit I am still amazed at what he found during a time of little to no internet searching. One that jumps right out is BLACK. I still have one Rare isn't even a good description. Although I am selling off everything. This one just hasn't left the nest yet. I have devoted over 40 years to knives made in Pennsylvania.
I have been searching and searching for information about this knife for quite some time...
Attachments
IMG_20190614_121406.jpg
IMG_20190614_121055.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”