Unusual Fayetteville Baby Barlow

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Unusual Fayetteville Baby Barlow

Post by JohnR »

Picked up a Fayetteville baby barlow from Roger this week. Finding any Fayetteville barlow is tough but what makes this one really rare is it has Carrier Cutlery tang stamps and a Fayetteville bolster stamp.
Both makers are pretty hard to find and I'm not sure Carrier actually made their knives, they may have had others manufacturers make them for them. Cronk & Carrier mainly made tools, they were in business around the same time frame as Fayetteville Knife Co, late 1800's early 1900's. The 2 companies were about 90 miles apart.
I can't see anyone faking a knife like this as the knife would probably have even more value with Fayetteville tang stamps, I do have a Maher&Grosh in my collection which also has M&G blades with a Miller Bros bolster but in this case Miller Bros is a known supplier for M&G.
One of pics shows the barlow next to a Russell barlow from the same time period giving an idea on size.
Attachments
IMG_6590.jpeg
IMG_6591.jpeg
IMG_6647.jpeg
IMG_6595.jpeg
IMG_6649.jpeg
IMG_6644.jpeg
IMG_2820.jpeg
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Unusual Fayetteville Baby Barlow

Post by royal0014 »

GORGEOUS little fella !!
You should post it in the "Bolsters" thread also . . . .
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Very nice knife.

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Beautiful!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a great little knife, John.
What a good looking spear blade it has.
Joe
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Thank you John for posting the pics and info on Fayetteville Knife Co and Carrier cutlery. There is a thread on Blade Forum with more info and pics.

John I’m green ::mdm:: with envy. Your a lucky guy. Steve B. :mrgreen:
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:53 pm Picked up a Fayetteville baby barlow from Roger this week. Finding any Fayetteville barlow is tough but what makes this one really rare is it has Carrier Cutlery tang stamps and a Fayetteville bolster stamp.
Both makers are pretty hard to find and I'm not sure Carrier actually made their knives, they may have had others manufacturers make them for them. Cronk & Carrier mainly made tools, they were in business around the same time frame as Fayetteville Knife Co, late 1800's early 1900's. The 2 companies were about 90 miles apart.
I can't see anyone faking a knife like this as the knife would probably have even more value with Fayetteville tang stamps, I do have a Maher&Grosh in my collection which also has M&G blades with a Miller Bros bolster but in this case Miller Bros is a known supplier for M&G.
One of pics shows the barlow next to a Russell barlow from the same time period giving an idea on size.
I'm a Barlow collector and this one would be a great addition to anyone's Barlow collection. ::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you all for the comments ::tu:: ::tu::

David I'm a barlow collector also, always happy to add a new bolster stamp to the collection.
wlf

Post by wlf »

Glad you got that one John.

There's things that we may never know, but they sure make this hobby interesting.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”