The Remains of the Knife Factories of Yesterday

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Another Knife Collector

The Remains of the Knife Factories of Yesterday

Post by Another Knife Collector »

With the burning of the old Cattaraugus Cutlery building recently, I think it would be interesting to see what remains of all the great old cutlery factories left standing today. Since I've traveled little in the areas of the old companies I'm hoping others who have taken photos might share them, I hope this will be a thread to show images of these old buildings that remain.
-Phil
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Remains of the Knife Factories of Yesterday

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good idea but I don't have any pics to contribute. Sorry.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...........somewhere on aapk are pictures of the Camillus factory, before and after the fire, i'll have to search and see if I can find them!!!........... ::tu:: ...................
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Another Knife Collector - Check this link from AAPK for some cool photos that FRJ (Joe) took of the Northfield old site...http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... eld+photos

More will be in the works in the near future ::tu::

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Thanks longblade! I remember that post and couldn't find it, as well as the Camillus factory carrmillus. Hopefully as others might visit factory sites this could be a thread to link to them all. Worse come to worse, I'll start saving for a road trip and take some photos myself ::tu::
-Phil
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Don't worry Another Knife Collector... FRJ and myself live in the midst of many of the CT old factories so we will have them well covered - just a matter of doing the research for addresses etc. Keep in mind in the mid-late 1800s to early 1900s there were approximately 85 CT makers. We have lots of brooks, rivers etc that supplied the power for the old factories so it is probably one of the reasons this state played an important role for many forged items. There is many of the most famous towns for the factories not far from me at all - others probably 60-90 minutes away at the farthest (CT is not a huge state)... I'm just afraid there may not be much left in terms of some of them but will find out. Nonetheless - one goal in visiting them is to get photos of knives that originated at the factory site - even if the knife photos are just on a piece of foundation... bringing the knives back to their birthplace for a photo would be very cool ::nod::

As an aside I am hoping to hit a museum in New Britain where Landers Frary & Clark was located (as was H&B for that matter)... Keep in mind Landers Frary & Clark made many different household items but I know from the museum website they did have a photo of at least one knife and I'm sure they will be of help in terms of the original buildings etc.

Be good to keep adding them to this thread as you said... just give it some time :D ::tu::

Post by FRJ »

I took pictures of the Collins Factory and the Holley Mfg. site and posted them in the forum, But I have no idea where I put them. Kinda busy as of late so haven't searched.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

I found this link on AAPK that includes multiple original photos of a few factories... Thought it may fit here as well so here's the link: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ey+factory Some great old photo history of some of the makers factories!!
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

FRJ wrote:I took pictures of the Collins Factory and the Holley Mfg. site and posted them in the forum, But I have no idea where I put them. Kinda busy as of late so haven't searched.
...im so glad to know I'm not the only one who post's stuff and loses it....I know I've seen photo's of the old factories on aapk somewhere!!!...... ::tu:: ........
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Between moving to Maine and various other life "changes"..I didn't hear of the Cattaraugus Fire...how
bad was /is it? :(
I have pics from when I was there about 5-6 years ago...
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Not too many knife manufacturers in Iowa, I do have quite a few from Union Stock Yards in Chicago.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a link to more pics of the cat factory fire. :(
http://www.jbfchamplin.com/?p=964
Attachments
Catt-fire_02.jpg
Catt-fire_011.jpg
Catt-fire_13.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Thanks Wazu....what a shame...A "surround & drown" operation for the Fire co.

found this:

http://www.salamancapress.com/news/arti ... dd1f0.html
Attachments
catt gone.jpg
catt gone.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
catt gone2.jpg
catt gone2.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...pictures like these are hard to look at!!!...... ::td:: .........
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

I agree..... ::teary_eyes::
I'm glad though that I went there when it was still standing.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Very sad to see that history disappear to flames and into a pile of rubble... I really hope it wasn't arson.... Was there anything at all left inside the building - I know they said it was empty but were there old anvils or any of the original company benches etc? Damn shame...

Post by cattaraugus57 »

There was an Auction after they closed in 1963, so I would doubt if there was any Knife related Equipment still inside.
plus The Building(S) had been used for several other venues over the years.

very sad indeed
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

There was an Auction after they closed in 1963, so I would doubt if there was any Knife related Equipment still inside.
plus The Building(S) had been used for several other venues over the years.

very sad indeed

Photo of Myself at the Factory about 6 years ago
Attachments
me at catt.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here are some pictures of the Imperial Schrade Factory in Ellenville, NY undergoing demolishing......sad times

These were taken on Friday Sept 25, 2015
Attachments
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

It is really sad, but thanks for sharing these.
Isn't there an old Imperial building in Conn that is Apartments or something?
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Not sure about that!

Tom
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Today my wife and I needed to drive over towards Meriden CT to run an errand which is only 40-45 minutes away... Nonetheless I figured while we were there I would try and find the remains of the old Miller Bros Cutlery at 464-465 Pratt St in Meriden... I figured this be a good one to add to this thread and others to come in the future...

The first image is the old factory... notice the near corner building with the large half moon window at the top of the building along with the roof and trim which turns back in at the upper corners...
MillerBrosFactory.jpg
The following 3 photos are in sequence looking down the front of the remaining building, straight on from where I was standing and than a shot of the end building - notice the half moon window and roof line - (and I could't get behind the building though I have a shot of the alley way if anyone is interested :lol: )....
Miller Bros Cutlery Bldg.jpg
Miller Bros Cutlery Bldg 2.jpg
Miller Bros Cutlery Bldg 3.jpg
Well it was nice to see most of the building still is there (though it certainly looks somewhat different than the sketch at the top - perhaps no surprise) and in fact occupied by a company on a few of the floors... looks like there is business rental space on the bottom floor... maybe I'll start a knife shop there :lol: ... though a serious old classic knife shop on the bottom floor of what was part of the Miller Bros Cutlery does honestly sound appealing...

I have been looking up the addresses of others and FRJ (Joe) knows where a few of the others are... quite frankly one of the nicest I have seen is the old Collins Axe factory in Collinsville - just picturesque... I'll try and capture some more of what is left in CT old cutlery buildings across the state as I can... and I know Joe has posted a few in the past..

Cheers
Lee

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eig7CMtf3w0

Post this a while back but seems it fits here. This is the old Remington Arms factory.
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thanks for posting those Lee, I've been past those building numerous times. Did you stop at Ted's for a famous steamed cheeseburger?
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”