Rare patterns

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Rare patterns

Post by djknife13 »

Here's a few of what I consider "rare" patterns. 1st is a Saynor Hobbyist's ivory scaled knife with a built in loupe. 2nd knife is a Henry Sears Champaigne knife. 3rd is a Camillus smokers knife with a pipe tool and sheepsfoot blade. 4th is a Pribyl Bros. Celebrated box opener scaled in ebony. 5th is an antique AG stamped trick knife, probably German, possibly English that opens by catching the tip bolster with your thumb and sliding it out about 1/2 inch and spinning the now released scale 180 degrees to expose the blade, and sliding the bolster back in place to lock the blade open. Lets see some of yours that we may not have seen at least very many examples of. ___Dave.
Attachments
rare pattern knives 004.JPG
dcgm4

Re: Rare patterns

Post by dcgm4 »

Very cool knives, Dave! ::drool:: I really like the Saynor and that trick knife. Those are just awesome! ::tu::

Here are some of my rare patterns. The first is a sleeveboard congress by A. F. Bannister & Co. The second is an F. A. Koch with fancy bolsters. The third is a slim sleeveboard jack by Boker. I've seen pen and whittler knives with this frame but this is the only jack I've come across so far. Last is a knife also by Boker which has a blade pick at the end.
Attachments
Bannister Sleeveboard Congress 1.JPG
Bannister Sleeveboard Congress 1.JPG (19.24 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
F.A. Koch Germany.JPG
Boker Slim Sleeveboard Jack.jpg
Boker Slim Sleeveboard Jack.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
Boker Blade Pick 3.JPG
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

You guys have some nice knives there. Very nice.
I had to stick my finger in a light socket just to get my heart goin agin after seein that slim sleeveboard. YOWZA!
Joe
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Very nice patterns. Somewhere I think I have a thin sleeveboard but I don't ever remember seeing a sleeveboard congress. Now I have some digging to see what name is on that thin one, or if it is actually even what I remember it being. Thanks for posting. All 4 are interesting and nice knives. ___Dave
wlf

Post by wlf »

Some odd ones. Celebrated box opener.Huh. :)

I like that sleeveboard too.

You don't see these often. A couple cuts showing these,may or may not be whittlers.The Holley is described next line below cut description.

4 1/8" Clements very tight, split spring farmers whittler( I made up that name) :) Clements was a high end London retailer,most likely Thomas Turner or William and Ernest Mills contract. c 1920s
Attachments
Clements from John Lloyd777.jpg
Clements from John Lloyd774.jpg
Clements from John Lloyd778.jpg
Clements from John Lloyd776.jpg
Holley 1915  catalog  262.jpg
Thomas Turner gardeners jpg.jpg
Clements265.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Lyle you good add "barebottom" to your discription of farmers whittler. :D
Roger
wlf

Post by wlf »

Roger,I didn't want to em barrass her.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice ones guys ::tu::

You will find mine here:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 35&t=13578
AAPK Janitor
Sonoraman66

Post by Sonoraman66 »

I saw a toothpick I think was very wide and has 4 blades on one end can anyone tell me what it is and the value
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Probably going to need a picture ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

wlf wrote:Roger,I didn't want to em barrass her.
Lyle she a pretty lady. ::tu::
Roger
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

wlf wrote:Some odd ones. Celebrated box opener.Huh. :)

I like that sleeveboard too.

You don't see these often. A couple cuts showing these,may or may not be whittlers.The Holley is described next line below cut description.

4 1/8" Clements very tight, split spring farmers whittler( I made up that name) :) Clements was a high end London retailer,most likely Thomas Turner or William and Ernest Mills contract. c 1920s
.........man, do I like this one!!!......that is neat!!!.......... ::ds:: ::ds:: ..........................
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I found my 4 inch sleeveboard but I'm not sure it was the one I was looking for. I think I have a German stag one somewhere. This one is a two blade (double end) jack or pen. I'm actually not sure which one this is. It is a Dobson & Sons, Sheffield. They were made from 1864 to 1916.___Dave
Attachments
Dobson & sons 001.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I think I took a lousy picture because it doesn't look "sleeveboard" on this shot. It actually looks a little more tapered in person. ___Dave
wlf

Post by wlf »

What's the length Dave?

Lyle
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

It's 4 inches closed, has a fairly thick spring and surprisingly strong nice snap for a thin knife on both blades. The wide side is 1/2 inch and the narrow side is 3/8 th inch.___Dave
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think it's the one he referred to in his post as being 4 inches. Picture looks vaguely similar to Case 6296X "Citrus Knife", which is 4-1/4 inches. Here's one I have, and while not as unusual as Dave's OP knives, it isn't a very common pattern.

Ken
Attachments
Case XX 6296X SS
Case XX 6296X SS
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Dave and Ken, beautiful knives. Love that pattern ...... don't have one.
Joe
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I think most citrus blades have a little straighter blade and are a little longer. They just have a different look to them. Maybe the ones I have handled were all lower end ones. I do have two blade (long melon blade and two tang fork) a Robt. Klaas with awesome stag. It is 5 1/2 inches long and is obviously a melon tester or sausage knife. ___Dave
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Joe. Not sure these qualify as rare, but I'll contribute these to the cause as they're not very common either. I've posted them all before on other threads so my apologies if you're tired of seeing them. ::facepalm::

Ken
Attachments
Rather & Co. gunstock whittler
Rather & Co. gunstock whittler
Moore Maker sowbelly stockman's whittler
Moore Maker sowbelly stockman's whittler
Case Tested XX PBB1050F push button slider
Case Tested XX PBB1050F push button slider
Premier gunstock lockback
Premier gunstock lockback
Case Bradford 6001 tri-fold
Case Bradford 6001 tri-fold
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Ken, what's the story behind Rather & Co. That's a nice old knife and I've never heard of the company and I yeah, I don't see many gunstock whittlers so I'd call them rare.They certainly are rare in my safe. My research material don't list Rather. Have you run this name through the rare knife company or rare tang stamps thread (or whatever it's called)?___Dave
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

djknife13 wrote:Ken, what's the story behind Rather & Co. That's a nice old knife and I've never heard of the company and I yeah, I don't see many gunstock whittlers so I'd call them rare.They certainly are rare in my safe. My research material don't list Rather. Have you run this name through the rare knife company or rare tang stamps thread (or whatever it's called)?___Dave
Dave, I wish I knew more about Rather & Co. ::shrug:: I've not been able to find much. I have another of their knives, a small equal end two blade with what appears to be smooth bone or horn handles. There is a listing for the company in Goins but no information about them. My research on the internet turned up a picture on Worthpoint of a very nice English jack pattern with jigged bone handles. All their knives I've seen are stamped on the master blade with crossed swords and the words "Acier Superfine" above "Rather & Co". Rather & Co. is stamped on the tang of all blades. " Acier" is a French word meaning steel. A search here on AAPK will find only my knife with this marking. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... er#p443324

If you find anything please share!

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

You asked that question re' the four blade "toothpick" elsewhere. No need to load the site up with repetitive questions.

No one knows what you're talking about, because none of us, not I at any rate, have ever seen a four blade toothpick. More likely a trapper of some sort.

Post a picture, as requested the first time you asked.

No offense intended, just sayin' ::handshake:: .

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
melton714

Post by melton714 »

djknife13 wrote:Here's a few of what I consider "rare" patterns. 1st is a Saynor Hobbyist's ivory scaled knife with a built in loupe. 2nd knife is a Henry Sears Champaigne knife. 3rd is a Camillus smokers knife with a pipe tool and sheepsfoot blade. 4th is a Pribyl Bros. Celebrated box opener scaled in ebony. 5th is an antique AG stamped trick knife, probably German, possibly English that opens by catching the tip bolster with your thumb and sliding it out about 1/2 inch and spinning the now released scale 180 degrees to expose the blade, and sliding the bolster back in place to lock the blade open. Lets see some of yours that we may not have seen at least very many examples of. ___Dave.
That is a very unique set of knives, I don't think I'v ever seen any of them, until now. Thanks for sharing
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Nice knives, Mumbleypeg! ::drool::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”