TL-29 Electricians Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
tjmurphy

Re: TL-29 Electricians Knives

Post by tjmurphy »

buckwheat-t-shirts-of-the-little-rascals-tee-shirts-4.jpg
buckwheat-t-shirts-of-the-little-rascals-tee-shirts-4.jpg (44.68 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks TJ. :roll:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Here's a Remington WWII TL-29 that's on Ebay now. A little expensive but, if it's one you're looking for.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-MINTY-TL-2 ... 2c97830765
3.jpg
2.jpg

jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

Here is my most recent find. Purchased it from Ross Askins who is the man who supplied this TL-29 to M.H. Cole for illustration in his Military Knives Bayonets and Machetes Book IV , page 50. It is a Kabar manufactured I.C. Co. tang stamped version. It was stated to be very rare as he had only seen 3 in his lifetime of collecting. I also got the original box with it which is also illustrated in Cole. Here are the pics...
Attachments
WW2 KABAR TL29 RARE I.C. Co. front1.jpg
WW2 KABAR TL29 RARE I.C. Co. front tang2.jpg
WW2 KABAR TL29 RARE I.C. Co. handle4.jpg
WW2 KABAR TL29 RARE I.C. Co. box inside6.jpg
WW2 KABAR TL29 RARE I.C. Co. box contract label5.jpg
WW2 KABAR TL29 RARE I.C. Co. book Cole IV pg 50 pic7.jpg
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

:shock: Now thats cool! 8) Nice purchase ::tu::

Randy
jlholdings

Post by jlholdings »

I have never seen another I.C. CO. Olean, NY before. When I heard the story on this knife, I had to get it. I love KA-BAR knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Great find!
I don't I have that one on my TL-29 brands list.
Come to think of it, I don't have Cole's IV.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I know that "Buckwheat" is generally associated with the phrase, "OTAY!" and that Eddie Murphy probably made a fortune off it, but my usually reliable memory re' things from my childhood is telling me that Buckwheat was not the Little Rascal that said "Otay", I think that was Spanky McFarland's little brother and a white boy at that.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Picked this one up at a flea market this weekend for 3 bucks, maker has been ground off,only mark is Made In Usa, spear blade has a swedge, any idea who made it? I suspect the maker was ground off because it is a factory second?
Attachments
IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4331.jpg
IMG_4335.jpg
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

orvet wrote:Well TJ, after doing a little checking I think you may be right.

This picture is 2 Camillus four-line tang stamp TL-29s (top and bottom) and the Utica in the middle.
Cam Utica Cam.jpg
The Utica has the stamping on the bail. I know some of the older Camillus life raft knives had a similar stamping on their bail.

While I was looking for the Utica and the Camillus TL-29s I started noticing other fancy bails in my collection of TL-29s.
I have 3 Pal Blade TL-29s that have this fancy work on their bails.
Pal TL-29 bails.jpg
This is a Kabar TL-29. Not really what I would call fancy work, but the flat spot above the end of the bail seems to be unique to Kabar.
Kabar TL-29 bail.jpg
While this is not a TL-29, obviously not made on government contract, it is nonetheless and electricians knife.
I have it stored with my TL-29 collection and I noticed it had fancy work on its bail. I think this is the most unique fancy work I have seen on any factory electricians knife.
It's pretty cool, IMHO.
German electrician knife bail.jpg
.....dale, Tombigbee electric supply co. is located here in tupelo!!!..... ::tu:: ..........
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Did anyone happened to win this auction tonight?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-MILITARY-An ... 7675.l2557

If you did, congratulations. ::tu::

If anyone else has a Schatt and Morgan TL-29 that they would be willing to sell, please let me know, I need one for my collection of TL-29 & electrician's knives.
I am also looking for a New York Knife Co., a Schrade Cut Co with bone handles and an XELA.
XELA is not a military the knife it was a brand name of M Klein.

I am also interested in a Remington electrician knife with metal handles. I have seen one, but do not know if they were a production item or if the metal handles were added after production. Perhaps one of our Remington collectors here on AAPK will know more about this knife.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

chevycannontexasjack

Post by chevycannontexasjack »

JohnR wrote:Picked this one up at a flea market this weekend for 3 bucks, maker has been ground off,only mark is Made In Usa, spear blade has a swedge, any idea who made it? I suspect the maker was ground off because it is a factory second?
If I'm not mistaken that is a Utica! Nice find for 3 bucks
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
chevycannontexasjack

Re:

Post by chevycannontexasjack »

orvet wrote:Here is a Cattaraugus from my collection. One of the problem with the TL-29 pattern is that the lock for the screwdriver often gets in the way of a clear pic of the tang stamp.

The tang stamp of this knife is:
CATTARAUGUS (arched)
CUTLERY CO
LITTLE VALLEY

I cannot see if there is a NY after the LITTLE VALLEY or not (nor do I know if there should be). This is the only Catt I own. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with them can fill me in on what the tang should read. I checked the fine research on Catts here on AAPK, but did not find a list of tang stamps.

Someone has obviously tried to replace the pivot pin in this knife and kinda made a mess of it. The springs are strong, but when they re-pined it they got it a bit tight. It has fair snap & half stops, but it could be better. I am tempted to take it apart and make new nickle silver bolsters and put a nickle silver pin in it.

Does anyone know what the original bolsters were made of? I would think steel, but that is a guess. Maybe one of you Cattaraugus aficionados could enlighten me.

Thanks,
Dale
Here is the first lock back gen of the Catt electricians knife and an old Ulster! The catt has the Patt # and date on the locking mechanism the knives they made with
this pat # on the lock was used up until the mid 1920s!
Attachments
14873616243572343444.jpg
1487361657839527943594.jpg
1487361717088-58929305.jpg
1487361754859-1168472254.jpg
Older knives are like women, they are beautiful, pricey, and rarely do you find the good ones!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That fits with what I have seen of the old style TL-29.
They were used through World War I and changed well before World War II.

Apparently the US Army Signal Corps or the DOD like the liner lock much better. Although I have never used and carried the old styleTL-29 I was issued and carried a Camillus TL-29 in the Marine Corps. I also carried it for years while working as a mechanic. The liner lock is easy to use, and also to disengage with one hand. In my book that makes it a better knife. Deploying either knife one handed is not easily accomplished.
I suspect the early model could be disengaged one-handed as well, but probably not as safely.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Technically not TL 29's, but unique electricians knives. Schrade Walden both blades etched, 4 line Camillus and a Schrade Cut Co.
Attachments
DSCN3129[1].JPG
DSCN3132[1].JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Beautiful knives Jim! ::drool::
AAPK Janitor
thefarside

Post by thefarside »

Thanks Dimitri
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, I know this is not a Tl-29 but thought it would fit this thread just fine.
I enjoy finding the unusual Scarce stuff or knives that are not the "Norm"
I just recently found this Unusual piece and hopefully you guys can shed some light on it for me or maybe not, lol.
I love AAPK and enjoy sharing Info as our "Knife Books" only tell us half the story
This knife has 3 different stampings,,I can understand the different "Colonial" stamps but the "High Carbon Steel" stamp is not "Normal"
We always associate the "High Carbon Steel" stamping with Camillus NOT Colonial. I suppose According to "Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings" he says that "High Carbon Steel" was a trademark used by Camillus for Sears & Roebuck,,,He did NOT say that "High Carbon Steel" WAS ALWAYS made by Camillus. This is News to me!!! Camillus contracts "Colonial" to make knives for Sears,,Does this sound about right? Its all Fun guys,,Gotta love it
Hey Dale, I noticed you collect these kinda of knives Sir,,If you give me your address I would be HAPPY to send this knife to you for your Collection, It would be my Honor to do so Sir
Kind Regards,
Mark
Attachments
100_6966.JPG
100_6979.JPG
100_6967.JPG
100_6975.JPG
100_6977.JPG
100_6981.JPG
100_6980.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you Mark.
PM inbound.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Guys, I just found this knife Listed on ebay,,Looks identical to my knife w/ High Carbon Steel on Master blade & Colonial on Secondary blade, but his third blade is not stamped at all if you notice,,Mine has Both secondary blades stamped Colonial. Thought it was interesting piece for this thread
Kind Regards,
Mark
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-3-blade-CA ... Sw44BYZGJ3
Attachments
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Picked up this Schrade Cut Co lineman knife at a local gunshow last weekend. Have to press down on the knife blade to unlock the screwdriver blade. Knife blade has been abused somewhat, but has lot's of life left. Probably will sharpen it up and carry it for awhile.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0875.JPG
Dan
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey Danno, you're starting to horn in on my favs. :lol: Great looking knife, I like these a lot. ::nod::

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

thanks tj, don't worry about any competition from me over these knives, I don't even remember my ebay password (tried yesterday).
Dan
Dan
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

It's OK though, I've got a SCHRADE just like it. Cool knives ::tu::

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

danno50 wrote:Picked up this Schrade Cut Co lineman knife at a local gunshow last weekend. Have to press down on the knife blade to unlock the screwdriver blade. Knife blade has been abused somewhat, but has lot's of life left. Probably will sharpen it up and carry it for awhile.
It's a shame someone mistook a grinder for a sharpening stone on that master blade but there is all sorts of use left in it anyway, and if you get annoyed with the grind marks I'm sure you can clean the blade up easily enough. It's still a strong HOK and in remarkable condition for its age (considering that so many linesman's knives from that era were used hard and put away wet) - I can attest to how hard it is to find an old Schrade with an unmarked frame. You've got a winner there! ::tu:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”