Eldred Cutlery

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Eldred Cutlery

Post by PA Knives »

OK I am disgruntled. :x I mean, I find a rare old knife like this Eldred Cutlery from the the turn of the 20th century and only one person, "thanx Paul" :) is kind enough to comment on it. I guess I am in the wrong thread. ::huff:: Post a photo of colonial rocket ship knife and every one and his brother oooh's and aww's over it. ::shrug:: I post detailed photos of an historical piece and I get one comment. ::facepalm:: GEZZZZZZZZ, I guess us lovers of old knives are getting few and far between.

So I decided to post it here for those of us that love these old timers. ::nod::

Sorry, don't tell my mom I was whinning about this. Seems no body wants to play in my sandbox ::sotb:: ::groove::
Attachments
Eldred 1.jpg
Eldred 5.jpg
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Eldred Cutlery

Post by orvet »

David,
I think your knife is nice, but you already knew that.
(I would like to see a pic with the blades open though).

The reason I would not have normally commented on this knife is because I know nothing about Eldred Cutlery.
Eldred is not listed in Goins or in LG4 or in several other of my reference books.

The bottom line is than neither myself or probably 90% of our members know anything about this knife
or the company that made it and we don’t have any reference to this company in out libraries.

About the all I can say is;
“Nice knife! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
chautauqua

Post by chautauqua »

well i believe it is a great rare knife and anyone who truely collects case knives would have to want it for there collection unfortanetly most people arent true collectors know they only purchase new knives in the box so they dont have to bother doing research or face the prospect of buying a bogus knife,for those that dont know about the eldred stamp it met its demise in 1911 when harvey platts moved the equiptment out to colorado from eldred for health reasons and started western states cutlery the bone and jigging very closely matches a couple of union razor knives i have that were made in tidioute pa ,that is the nicest one that i have seen outside the national knife museum that i have seen
my avatar is what happened the last time someone tried to sell me a bogus knife
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thank you. That was very interesting, I learned something.
While I do collect old knives, I do not collect Case knives, and am not very familiar with the companies associated with their history.

I wonder why Eldred was not mentioned in LG4 or in Goins?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Thanx guys, now that I am fully ashamed of my self for not posting here in the first place LOL!!!!!!! The Eldred firm was short lived and comprised of left overs from the original Platts company of Eldred. David Pierce, a good friend, has done extensive research on the Platts legancy. These Eldred Cutlery knives are tough to find in any shape. More pics OH YEA!!!!

thanks for letting me vent my frustration. Gosh, i was so happy to get this one after many years. ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: I guess I need to realize that not everyone loves old knives like we do. ::handshake::
Attachments
Eldred 2.jpg
Eldred 4.jpg
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

David,
I didn't see your other post, but I can tell you that I love old knives and I think yours is a fine looking knife and I want one just like it............someday.

Now I have to read about Eldred. Thanks.
Joe
trail

Post by trail »

Very nice! I think lots of people here enjoy seeing and reading about these rare and ancient brands. Some may have missed it's appearance in the thread over on the other forum, since new threads get posted over there quickly and older ones pushed back down, so maybe it is for the best that this exceptional old knife gets its own thread over here. Who knows, maybe it will draw out some more examples, or new nuggets of history.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

At the age of 77 I am realizing that the antique knives are taking a back seat to the newer ones. I still get excited over finding a Cattaraugus or Jack Knife Ben knife that I don't already have.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

FRJ wrote:David,

Now I have to read about Eldred. Thanks.

Does anyone know of a book with info on Eldred Cutlery?
I have checked the 8 or 10 most likely sources in my cutlery library and have yet to find even a mention of Eldred. ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

trail

Post by trail »

Here is a great website with history of Eldred and pictures of the plant, some of the Platts family and some of the old knives.

http://www.jfgvictoryverlag.com/eldred/platts.html

The information came from:
THE KNIFE MAKERS
WHO WENT WEST
and
Eldred Centennial Book 1980.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Sorry I missed the first post;quite honestly I never heard of the name either.Thanks for the fill-in on the history of the company.
If I had seen the OP I definitely would have commented on those scales;they are drop dead gorgeous!
Count me in as one who has an appreciation of old and obscure brands.Every time I find one(rarely these days unfortunately)half the fun is researching the knife.
Although I can appreciate the newer knives coming out they just don't,"trip my trigger" as much as a beat-up old hundred-plus year old knife.
Thanks for re-posting AND venting;venting is good.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Geez that's some crazy worm groove!! Must have been fun pinning those covers :shock: :D

Great old knife David, first Eldred I've ever seen ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

PA Knives wrote:OK I am disgruntled. :x I mean, I find a rare old knife like this Eldred Cutlery from the the turn of the 20th century and only one person, "thanx Paul" :) is kind enough to comment on it. I guess I am in the wrong thread. ::huff:: Post a photo of colonial rocket ship knife and every one and his brother oooh's and aww's over it. ::shrug:: I post detailed photos of an historical piece and I get one comment. ::facepalm:: GEZZZZZZZZ, I guess us lovers of old knives are getting few and far between.

So I decided to post it here for those of us that love these old timers. ::nod::

Sorry, don't tell my mom I was whinning about this. Seems no body wants to play in my sandbox ::sotb:: ::groove::
I love old knives and that is BEAUTIFUL ::groove:: I would rather see one like that than any new safe queen that knife has a story,history, class,and is made in USA ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

trail wrote:Here is a great website with history of Eldred and pictures of the plant, some of the Platts family and some of the old knives.
The information came from:
THE KNIFE MAKERS
WHO WENT WEST
and
Eldred Centennial Book 1980.
Oh boy, trail, do I feel like a dope. I have that book and I must have come across that information.
Thanks for posting that.

I'm tellin you younger guys, what ever you do don't turn 60, it all goes down hill from there.........CRS........or
somethin like that.
Joe
buckeyefan

Post by buckeyefan »

chautauqua wrote:well i believe it is a great rare knife and anyone who truely collects case knives would have to want it for there collection unfortanetly most people arent true collectors know they only purchase new knives in the box so they dont have to bother doing research or face the prospect of buying a bogus knife,for those that dont know about the eldred stamp it met its demise in 1911 when harvey platts moved the equiptment out to colorado from eldred for health reasons and started western states cutlery the bone and jigging very closely matches a couple of union razor knives i have that were made in tidioute pa ,that is the nicest one that i have seen outside the national knife museum that i have seen
Very well spoken ::tu::

David, I am very sorry I didnt post my thoughts on this in the original thread, Honestly though I didnt think my opinion would matter very much ::shrug::
You have a very beautiful peice of good ole American Historical Cutlery that I would be very very proud to own and show off to everyone. ::nod:: ::tu::
BTW, I owned 2 Eldred's 5 or 6 years ago or so, and traded both for a month old 350 Honda Rancher Quad. At the time I didnt fully know what I had, but the guy whom I traded with sure did. ::dang::

Marty
The second mouse always get's the cheese..
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Thanks guys, you all have revived my appreciation for this forum and OLD knives. ::tu:: I was beginning to think I was a loner. ::huff:: Now I know there are plenty of us out there. :D

Buckeye "you had two Eldred's" OMG, man ::facepalm:: I hope that Honda is awesome, I waited years just to own this relic of a knife. You let 2 go.!!!!!!!!!! ::shrug::

Isn't this a great hobby. ::handshake:: We learn everyday. ::ds::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

PA Knives wrote: Post a photo of colonial rocket ship knife and every one and his brother oooh's and aww's over it. I post detailed photos of an historical piece and I get one comment. I guess us lovers of old knives are getting few and far between.
:lol: :lol: Ain`t that the truth David ::nod::

Very few collectors appreciated the very rare historical knives.

I really like it ::tu:: ::drool:: Thanks for posting it :D
AAPK Janitor
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

::woot:: ROCKET SHIP KNIFE!!!!

Showme showme showme.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin Dave. I'm enjoying the education.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
pcktknf1

Post by pcktknf1 »

David, I found the Eldred knife in an antique store in Michigan following the Wolverine Show in February. I suspected it came out of the Platt's factory, but really couldn't find any info on it. It was in my roll at the Parker Show earlier this month and I traded it off to someone I knew would find a good home for it. It's the only Eldred I've ever seen. I'm happy to know where it wound up. Mike
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

It's a sweetheart David.

Had my internet been working, I'd have seen it sooner than tonite, and said something. ::tounge::

Keep the oldies coming. ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

That is a true beauty and a rare find!..I need to win the lottery and gain some luck!
The bone is in fantastic condition for being that old,well taken care of. ::nod::

trail, thanks for the great link,I hadn't seen that site before now,great pictures!
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

This is my oldest knife. Levine says 1780-1827. Jonathon Crookes with a heart and pistol tang stamp.
Attachments
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG (34.16 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG (28.81 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG (33.56 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
cattaraugus57

Post by cattaraugus57 »

Wow jacknife! The condition is amasing for its age.
That's a real piece of history,thanks for showing it.
Here's my oldest and it looks it too!...
T.Smith & co..1787-1800
Attachments
T smith.JPG
T smith2.JPG
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Now those are some AWESOME OLD KNIVES. I just love seeing these pictures. Keep em coming boys.
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Reviving and old thread. Just picked up this Eldred Cutlery Co 3 5/8" bone knife. As I understand it when W R Case merged with Platts around 1905 the workers that stayed in Eldred opened this company up for a short while. This one is not in the best condition but I still like it.

Thanks for looking! ::tu::

Tom
Attachments
013.JPG
015.JPG
019.JPG
016.JPG

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”