Peachseed Bone on Cattaraugus knives??

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
ratlesnake75

Peachseed Bone on Cattaraugus knives??

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hi ALL & thank you for your Help & expertise! Please post some Catt knives w/ Peachseed Jigging

A good knife friend of mine was talking about this question to me the other day. He asked me what my opinion was & I told him that I never thought twice about it. I assumed CATT would order Bone from Schrade as they ordered Bone from the Rogers Co.
Am I wrong to assume this?? Any & all help is appreciated on this subject. We really need pics of actual Catt knives with PEACHSEED Jigging, and I cant offer any at this time, sorry.

Kindest Regards & Blessings to all
Mark
ea42

Re: Peachseed Bone on Cattaraugus knives??

Post by ea42 »

I don't think Schrade ever sold any of their jigged bone off to other shops. They used everything they made up for their own knives. The later Catt jigged bone like what's on the knife posted below sort of resembled the Schrade peachseed but wasn't the same.

Cattaraugus 22689.jpg
Cattaraugus 22689 2.jpg
Eric
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

ratlesnake75 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:22 pm Hi.....
Maybe here?
viewforum.php?f=118
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I can't recall seeing a Catt with peachseed jigging, at least not any that resembles Schrade peachseed. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Love your pictures!
You bring up some very interesting points & I cant thank you enough for sharing your thoughts & interest.
Indeed please move this post to that other catt section, lol. Thank you, I not very computer savvy, lol
Kindest Regards & Blessings your way,
Mark
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

ea42 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:45 pm I don't think Schrade ever sold any of their jigged bone off to other shops. They used everything they made up for their own knives. The later Catt jigged bone like what's on the knife posted below sort of resembled the Schrade peachseed but wasn't the same.

Eric
Very interesting! I could have sworn I seen peachseed Jigging on other knives besides "Schrade"
Kindest Regards & Blessings your way
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Just my nickel's worth. Here's an ULSTER cattle knife with really nice, peach seed jigging. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_6604.jpg
IMG_6603.jpg
IMG_6601.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

That's a preinflation nickels worth. Great handles!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:46 am Just my nickel's worth. Here's an ULSTER cattle knife with really nice, peach seed jigging. J.O'.
J.O., I’m not a Schrade expert, nor Ulster either, but I believe that your peach seed Ulster was probably made in the Schrade factory. As I understand it, after Schrade bought out Ulster, in the late 1950’s the production of Ulster knives was moved to the Schrade factory where both brands were made on the same machinery. They even shared the same pattern numbers. The only difference in many cases was the name stamped on the knife’s tang. If my understanding of the history is wrong someone please correct me.

Even if technically that Ulster is a Schrade, I suppose that doesn’t change the fact that another brand name has Schrade peach seed jigging. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Ken, Maybe someone will add more. Interesting. It'd be nice to see them side by side. I have a Schrade 774 but it's composite and obviously looks a bit different. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_6607.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:23 am
Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:46 am Just my nickel's worth. Here's an ULSTER cattle knife with really nice, peach seed jigging. J.O'.
J.O., I’m not a Schrade expert, nor Ulster either, but I believe that your peach seed Ulster was probably made in the Schrade factory. As I understand it, after Schrade bought out Ulster, in the late 1950’s the production of Ulster knives was moved to the Schrade factory where both brands were made on the same machinery. They even shared the same pattern numbers. The only difference in many cases was the name stamped on the knife’s tang. If my understanding of the history is wrong someone please correct me.

Even if technically that Ulster is a Schrade, I suppose that doesn’t change the fact that another brand name has Schrade peach seed jigging. :lol:

Ken
Yes,no doubt.
Roger

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”