All Metal Handle Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: All Metal Handle Knives

Post by Miller Bro's »

FRJ wrote:Beautiful Flylock, D.
Thanks Joe, that Northfield is special ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

LongBlade wrote:Nice flylock Dimitri and in gold ... recently just picked one up myself with nickel silver frames and lightly used blades (it sat in a drawer for years) ... got to get some photos of mine to post...
Thank you Lee, I would like to see the nickel silver model you have ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

wiseguy wrote:Cool Flylock D. here`s my "all metal handle" one
Thanks J, yours is very nice as well,is that the larger model?
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Dimitri.
Joe
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

it`s the smallest 2.7/8 model , the file blade in the small Flylock is fairly uncommon. Yours looks to have a gold release button which usually indicated genuine gold covers 8)
Miller Bro's wrote:
wiseguy wrote:Cool Flylock D. here`s my "all metal handle" one
Thanks J, yours is very nice as well,is that the larger model?
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I've never cared much for metal scales on knives but have somehow picked up a few I did like over the years. Here are some of mine.This picture has a Luna Works (my best guess because the stamping isn't clear). On the back side is a stamp of a weird round face that almost looks like an Indian symbol. It is stainless plated and has a tape measure built into the fish bonker ball. The second is a civil war era one armed man's knife that I've posted before on other threads, and the third is a H. Sears brass bartenders, ____Dave
All metal knives 001.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

This picture is of a near unused Robeson stockman, a Buck 513, and a Catt. spey with fat al. scakes. ___Dave
All metal knives 002.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

These are perhaps a little more interesting; The two cheaply made are made Japanese. The sheet metal one is a WW2 battleship, The one is labeled "Pocket Knife" on the handle in case you didn't already know but no other maker name. The little advertizing "National Iron Co., Duluth, Mn." is, I believe, a Whitehead and Hoag (stamping isn't real clear) and the last is an Eagle Knife (Hemming Bros, circa 1919).
All metal knives 003.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

The next group is a neat Lockwood Sheffield art deco, the two Zippo's are a Ronald Reagan commemorative and a Camel cigarette advertizing and the small one is a mint Schrade Walden advertizind Cadillacs with a "Razor Blade Stainless" etch. ____Dave
All metal knives 005.JPG
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

These are a couple of TESTED CASE Stockman. Been used but have not seen a boatload floating around. I think these were the only Stockman CASE ever made with metal handles. M347 is the pattern. Sorry for the crappy pic.

Jerry
Attachments
TESTED M347_front blades open.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here are two you don't see every day. They are from Sweden and were pretty fancy looking in their day, which was a while ago. The most worn one is a Knibolaget, and the sheepsfoot is a H. Hai' Strom, both from Eskatuna.____Dave
All metal knives 006.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I got one more picture, then I'm done. maybe. These are a group of assisted openers. The bronze looking is a SWW Co.(Simonds Worden White), the 2 are Schrade Walden, one advertizing Northwestern Refining of St. Paul, Mn., the auto is a Schrade Walden in very nice shape, and the last is a very well made Imperial trick opener. ___Dave
All metal knives 007.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Sorry Jerry about me hogging the whole thread. I don't think I've ever seen a Case all metal much less two in one shot. The metal scales sure aren't the prettiest way to dress up an old knife but they sure make a good solid tool. ___dave
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

djknife13 wrote:Sorry Jerry about me hogging the whole thread. I don't think I've ever seen a Case all metal much less two in one shot. The metal scales sure aren't the prettiest way to dress up an old knife but they sure make a good solid tool. ___dave
It's all good Dave. No worries.

Looks like you have a pretty extensive amount of metal handle knives to share. Thanks for doing so!

CASE did make a few models in the old days with metal handles but not many for sure.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I glanced through one of my reference books that show a lot of old Case folders and couldn't find any listed except the metal scales marlin spike military, which I think I actually have one of somewhere. I'm still on dial-up for my old computer so this downloading has pretty well kept me occupied all day so far. Thanks for sharing the Case knives. ___Dave
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

djknife13 wrote:I glanced through one of my reference books that show a lot of old Case folders and couldn't find any listed except the metal scales marlin spike military, which I think I actually have one of somewhere. I'm still on dial-up for my old computer so this downloading has pretty well kept me occupied all day so far. Thanks for sharing the Case knives. ___Dave
Correct, not many as I said and your research shows. Here is the Canadian Military knife I believe you are referencing. Only made in 1949' and 1950 as I recall. There is also the CASE M100 Push Button slide out from around the 1920's. Pretty scarce stamp on that one. Will post pics of mine later.

Regards, Jerry
Attachments
M346_ front all blades open.jpg
M346_ MB stamp and handle stamp.jpg
M346_ MB stamp.jpg
M346_ pile side MB and marlin spike half open.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

wiseguy wrote:it`s the smallest 2.7/8 model , the file blade in the small Flylock is fairly uncommon. Yours looks to have a gold release button which usually indicated genuine gold covers
Thanks that is the same size as the one I posted.

Here's a pic of the buttons, I have no idea if they are gold or not.
Attachments
il_570xN.417172508_azzy.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

djknife13 wrote:I got one more picture, then I'm done. maybe.
Wow! You have some rare ones in there thanks for posting them ::tu:: ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Miller Bro's wrote:
djknife13 wrote:I got one more picture, then I'm done. maybe.
Wow! You have some rare ones in there thanks for posting them ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you. Not bad for not actually collecting them. Jerry, yeah that is the same one I have only your's is much cleaner and shinier. I know I have some early aluminum ones around too but I'm not sure where. ___Dave
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Looks like it to me , nice piece ::tu::
Miller Bro's wrote:
wiseguy wrote:it`s the smallest 2.7/8 model , the file blade in the small Flylock is fairly uncommon. Yours looks to have a gold release button which usually indicated genuine gold covers
Thanks that is the same size as the one I posted.

Here's a pic of the buttons, I have no idea if they are gold or not.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Added this F. Newton to the collection this week.
Attachments
IMG_5647.jpg
IMG_5648.jpg
IMG_5651.jpg
IMG_5653.jpg
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Very Nice MB, the covers are really pretty.

Good score JohnR, that is a fine looking EZ.
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thank you!

John, looks unused great find ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Rummaging around in my pile and found this one I'd forgotten I have. Well used and not nearly as nice as the one JerryA showed a while back, but here it is anyway.

Ken
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Metal knives are what kickstarted me in to this madness that we share.

Here are three Sheffield made with with metal handles plus advertising.

First of these three is one by Rodgers, Cutler to His Majesty, also with promo's for Pinchin Johnson & Co.
IMG_8117.JPG
IMG_8118.JPG
Then a Wade & Butcher which promotes Pinchin Johnson products.
IMG_8119.JPG
IMG_8120.JPG
Last out is a Southern & Richardson with Swedish advertising for British (?) products from Reckitt, Brasso and Zebra.
IMG_8121.JPG
IMG_8122.JPG
Jim

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”