Old and Obscure Brands

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
trutemper

Re: Old and Obscure Brands

Post by trutemper »

Thanks Paul, Perry and Kathy!(almost sounds like an old 1960`s band :lol: ) oh wait that was Peter, Paul and Mary....my bad :) This is such a great forum! and so many incredible knives being shown.....thnaks to all!

Bob
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

This one is from when Case Tested XX made their knives where Christ lost his shoes in Pakistan ::hmm::
wazu013
Attachments
Tested fake-1 (2).JPG
9233 (2).JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

:shock: ::dang:: :lol:

Anyone have info on a knife like this? It says "Real Shepherd Knife" on the blade and has a poor Sheffield England tang stamp. I love the old bone handles though. I could have sworn someone posted a picture of one over the last year but I did a search and got nothing back. Any info is appreciated! ::nod::

Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
trail

Post by trail »

This little knife turned up on ebay, blurry photo and the seller even admitted "blades have little rust on them", but the Coast tang stamp was something I didn't have, so I put in a low bid. In the end I was high bidder at $3.68 and pretty soon the knife was in hand. "Little rust" was an understatement, as there was active rust on the thing, so I dropped it in a bottle of mineral spirits and did some research. Turns out Coast Products of Portland OR is still in business, still selling knives, flashlights, lanterns and multi-tools. The company was started in 1919 and is run by the third generation of the founding family.

http://www.coastportland.com/files/Abou ... oducts.pdf

I didn't think it likely that they made their own knives, even in the early days, and was fully prepared to find a "Japan" stamp on the back on the tang. The new knives on their website have a distinctly "Made In China" look. However, what I found was a tang stamp Coast over Port USA on the main blade and patent over 3,317,996 on a secondary. A little light research turned up the following over at Blade Forum:

"According to the USPTO records, the patent number you quoted was issued to Antonio Paolantonio (Colonial) on May 9, 1967 for a knife bolster assembly. It was his answer to the Swinden patent owned by Schrade and allowed for solid bolsters to be press fit onto pocket knives rather than pierced and pinned in place." - Codger_64

I think that is good evidence that my Coast is a Colonial product. A lot of elbow grease got the rust off and left it nice and shiny. There is not much snap left and a fair amount of pitting on the main blade, but on the other hand it has three backsprings and an unusual stamp.
Attachments
coast_scaled.jpg
coast_tang_scaled.jpg
coast_tang_scaled.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 4286 times
coast_backsprings.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Paul,
I used to buy from Coast Cutlery when I managed a cutlery store back in the 1980s.
Until 4 or 5 years ago I believe they were the US importer for Puma, (or maybe just the West Coast importer).

Many companies have made knives for Coast including Buck, Camillus & Schrade, IIRC.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

1967redrider wrote::shock: ::dang:: :lol:

Anyone have info on a knife like this? It says "Real Shepherd Knife" on the blade and has a poor Sheffield England tang stamp. I love the old bone handles though. I could have sworn someone posted a picture of one over the last year but I did a search and got nothing back. Any info is appreciated! ::nod::

That is a rather rare etching for that sort of knife. Nearly all of them said Real Lambs Foot Knife. Nice find and in great shape too. Put it somewhere safe. Can you tell which Sheffield company made it?
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

:) great knives guys always good to expand our growing list.
this week i found a Dittert & Co. ...1900-1930
Attachments
P1020704.JPG
P1020706.JPG
Never Argue With a idiot
They'll bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
PAUL
Bret888

Post by Bret888 »

That looks like a top drawer piece Paul! Genuine tortoise is always a prize.
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

Bret888 wrote:That looks like a top drawer piece Paul! Genuine tortoise is always a prize.
Brett, thanks :)
Never Argue With a idiot
PAUL
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Iron Hoarder wrote:
1967redrider wrote: Anyone have info on a knife like this? It says "Real Shepherd Knife" on the blade and has a poor Sheffield England tang stamp. I love the old bone handles though. I could have sworn someone posted a picture of one over the last year but I did a search and got nothing back. Any info is appreciated! ::nod::

That is a rather rare etching for that sort of knife. Nearly all of them said Real Lambs Foot Knife. Nice find and in great shape too. Put it somewhere safe. Can you tell which Sheffield company made it?
Iron, not a clue but how could I tell? The picture of the tang and the blade etch are all the markings there are. Do you know of any sites or reference books that I might be able to use? Thanks!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Paul, if that Dittert is the same one that was listed on Ebay, you STOLE it!

Very nice. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

1967redrider wrote:
Iron Hoarder wrote:
1967redrider wrote: Anyone have info on a knife like this? It says "Real Shepherd Knife" on the blade and has a poor Sheffield England tang stamp. I love the old bone handles though. I could have sworn someone posted a picture of one over the last year but I did a search and got nothing back. Any info is appreciated! ::nod::

Iron, not a clue but how could I tell? The picture of the tang and the blade etch are all the markings there are. Do you know of any sites or reference books that I might be able to use? Thanks!
If you can't read the tang stamp and there isn't anything stamped on the back of the tang I'm afraid there is no way to tell.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Paul, if that Dittert is the same one that was listed on Ebay, you STOLE it!

Very nice. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
:) thanks Charlie..................
Never Argue With a idiot
PAUL
Jigslinger

Post by Jigslinger »

Just had a fellow stop by my office with an "Anvil" brand jack 4 inches in length and what looks to be a plastic or delrin handle. Tang is stamped "Anvil" with "Prov.USA" underneath and the scale has an anvil on a shield inlaid in it. Pen blade has "Patent" over "3,317,996". Anybody know about this company?
"A bad knife cuts one's finger instead of the stick."
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Jigs,
The Anvil brand was Providence Cutlery's answer to Schrade's Old Timer.
They were most carbon steel, iirc, and were a decent knife.
I think they were not highly thought of because they were made by Providence, which many people associate with inexpensive knives.

I have an Anvil or two and I would compare them to Old Timers.
The swell on the handle seems to me serve an ergonomic function to give one a good grip.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Here's an old and pretty obscure brand,,,American Shear Co., the company started in 1853 and added knives to their line in 1870. American Shear sold out to Waterville Cutlery in 1914. This Jack is 4 inches closed length with ebony handles. Great halfstop too. Check out those serifs!
Love all Jacks
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Thats a really nice piece of history there Perry and a georgious knife! Nice find! thank for showing!

Bob
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Thanks Bob! ::handshake:: I'm pretty sure this blade would've been originally a Spear, judgin from the shape it's in now and the overall size. So with a lot of wear to it, it still has a lot left IMO. The mind wanders about who carried it and whether or not they fought in the Civil War or even how they wound up buyin it new. I love it!
Love all Jacks
singin46

Post by singin46 »

This is Brantford Cutlery Co. Jack that the notch has been added to later but all original blades and stamps according to Bernard Levine. Solid little Ebony Jack ::nod:: Probably made around the late teens to early 20s.
Love all Jacks
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

She's a beaut, singin. ::nod::

I'm growing really fond of those easy openers. ::tu::

singin46

Post by singin46 »

Thank ya Red, they're addictive alright. ::nod::
Love all Jacks
paulsvintage

Post by paulsvintage »

::tu:: great find ! nice full fat blades..........
Never Argue With a idiot
PAUL
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Another fine oldie Singin. ::drool::
Those oldies really talk to me.
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Thanks Paul and Bill!
Love all Jacks
trail

Post by trail »

This one was advertised as "Vtg Eagle Top - Single Blade Knife - Scout Knife" and included lots of good clear pictures. The stamp did look like Eagle Top but I thought, maybe Eagleton, though it is way too modern compared to the other Eagletons we have seen here. The shell handle looked like an Imperial or Richards. Once I had the knife in hand, things didn't get any clearer. At first I thought it might be Eggleston, but in the end I hit on Eaglestar as my best guess. If anybody has any ideas I'd like to hear them.
Attachments
eaglestar_scaled.jpg
eaglestar_tang_2.jpg

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”