Northfield

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Northfield

Post by PA Knives »

NOW THATS A GREAT BIG PILE AWESOME HISTORY THERE MY FRIEND. Each of those is a treasure. Those ebony handles and dark wood scales that old knives have on them, continue to excite me. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some bone and stag, but the common man knife that was meant to be used and let's admit it "abused" and is still rocking after all these years, amazes me.

I often speculate what some of the knives of today will look like in 100 years. I'll never know, but hopefully someone will answer that questions with , "I read about some old cutlery nut from 2014 who kinda hinted that knives made during that time may not hold up as well on the job as the ones made 100 years earlier, ummmm seems old man Anthony was wiser than he thought. I am still using my old Northfield Jack made in mid 1800's"

Hey it's my fantasy and I'll dream what ever I want! ::sotb::
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

David,
have you posted pictures of your Northfield somewhere?
We would love to see it. Thanks.
Joe
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

Here's a taste
Attachments
Northfield 1.jpg
Northfield 2.jpg
Northfield.jpg
Northfield Pistol 003.jpg
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, David.
Those are beautiful knives with great looking blades.
And a nice revolver too.
Joe
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Toolboy, that Excelsior is fantastic. Not to mention historically important (to me). Knives with dates are great for helping determining time lines of tang stamps. I try to keep a record of knives with dates attached and their tang stamp [I say this to encurage others to do so as well :mrgreen: ). Oh yea, that sure is some gorgeous Northfield jigging!

K7K those are a real treat to see. The Northfield is wonderful, the dye job on that bone is a nice reddish in color. From the swedge it looks like the blade has the original finish. Is this the case? Given the rarity of seeing Northfield knives in bone (let alone at all), the condition of the jigging pattern is really nice on that one.

David, those are real beauties. I like you really love the old ebony in particular. Not only do I find the "working person" aspect compelling, but it is really hard to beat the combination of nickel silver, a full crocus polish and ebony. The jumbo jack (looks like a jumbo anyway) definitely gets the ol' blood flowing ::nod:: (no pun intended)
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are closeups of two Northfields;I thought I had another pearl but can't locate it yet.
Attachments
Northfield 001.jpg
Northfield 002.jpg
Northfield 002.jpg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Northfield 003.jpg
Northfield 003.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Northfield 004.jpg
Northfield 005.jpg
Northfield 006.jpg
Northfield 006.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

WOW! Thanks K7K, That Northfield Hunter is in the finest I have seen. I have a similar pen knife but with the dying is more black in color.
Attachments
IMG_1750.jpg
IMG_1754.jpg
IMG_1755.jpg
IMG_1756.jpg
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ray,
thanks for showing more of your fabulous knives. As always, they are greatly appreciated.

Beechtree, those are great pictures of a classic slip joint.

Thanks, you guys.
Joe
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

I have not posted in a while, Sorry. Very nice looking knives & guns everyone. Ebay keeps me pretty busy these days.
Here is my Latest Northfield knife. Knife has "Horn" handles & is 4 3/8" closed.
Thanks,
Mark
Attachments
003.JPG
006.JPG
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Wow what a beauty!! ::tu::
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

That`s a fine knife.Love the etch. ::tu::
Roger
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

FRJ,
I just came upon this post and it's a great one even though I only have a one of the newer knives that is just stamped Northfield. I especially enjoyed your story because I love finding list bits of history like that and I too am a owner of that book. I got mine for $20 from a gentlemen that worked at Western Knives. When I got it's front cover was warped but it still has the dust cover and after years of flattening it is in perfect condition. I love that book and it's history. One of our friend here at AAPK talking about having one of those blocks and I agree, that would be something to have. Thanks for sharing a great story.
Richard
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Mark, I think it would be a real challenge to find a Northfield that would be in better shape than the one you have shown here.
We can all hope they exist. What a beautiful knife. Thank you for showing it.

Richard, thank you for posting on "Northfield". "The Knife Makers Who Went West" is a great book and you're lucky to get the boards back to good shape. "Great Eastern Cutlery" by David Anthony (PA Knives) is a book you, and every one else, would enjoy as well.
The Northfield site is a state park, (Humaston Brook State Park) although you would never know by looking at it even if you could find it, which you can.
I was standing on the edge of the road exactly where the site is in summers full bloom and couldn't see it. Didn't know I was standing virtually on top of it. The foundations were built on the edge of a steep and deep stream bed. The whole thing falls away from view and is better seen from the other side of the stream for a full view although you can approach any and all of the beautiful foundations there.
I love going up there and being so close to such a rich history of a fabulous cutlery legend. I wonder about the lives of those who worked there and how difficult and yet how simple their existence was. I think I'll go up there today.
Thanks again Richard.
Joe
bladeguy58

Post by bladeguy58 »

Joe,
I'm actually impatiently waiting for David Anthony's book on Tidioute-A Town with an Edge to show up. These types of books are hard to find but I know that World of Knives had a pretty good collection of them.
Richard
cato

Post by cato »

dang, that is very nice,,,,, sweet!!!
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Many thanks Everyone for the Kind Words & Compliments!!!
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

You just gotta love this kind of stuff re' any old knife company, regardless of what you, yourself actually collect.

All these recent additions to this thread are good, But that penknife of BeechTree's and Mark's absolutely wonderful old hunter really remarkable.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:You just gotta love this kind of stuff re' any old knife company, regardless of what you, yourself actually collect. Charlie
I agree Charlie. Collecting these old personal tools can get you steeped right into the history of these old cutlers and cutlery firms.
It's great stuff.
Thanks Charlie.

I did go up there yesterday and took some pictures. A couple show my car on the edge of the road and looking over the site, as I said,
you would never know it was there.
Attachments
Seven old stones.
Seven old stones.
Upper wall that I believe supported masonry inventory bldg.
Upper wall that I believe supported masonry inventory bldg.
Just upstream of site. Originally a pond for water power from 2' pipe top right.
Just upstream of site. Originally a pond for water power from 2' pipe top right.
IMG_2662.JPG
Looking way down at stream bottom. Several foundations from there up.
Looking way down at stream bottom. Several foundations from there up.
The old stones with mortise (Hand cut?) to accept foot of anvil for hand forging.
The old stones with mortise (Hand cut?) to accept foot of anvil for hand forging.
More foundation wall.
More foundation wall.
A very neatly cut mortise.
A very neatly cut mortise.
IMG_2690.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG
Joe
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Great pictures, Joe. They really help make the history come alive. Thanks for posting them. ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Dave. I'm glad you thought the pictures were helpful.
I was wondering if the pictures would be a little confusing, many trees fell in a ice storm here a few years ago on Halloween night and really trashed the place.
Joe
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Here is a Scarce "Tang Stamp" Platts/Northfield. Knife is 2 3/4" closed. Both blades stamped the same. Pretty Rare knife
Attachments
070.jpg
071.jpg
072.jpg
072.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Nice knife, Mark, but watch out for that particular celluloid. ::disgust:: ::dang::

Here's a Northfield display/exhibition knife I saw at the Dalton Knife Show.

It stretches all the way across the aluminum display case. The tip is not broken, just hidden.

It's a very large lock-back folding hunter with folding guards, although the guards do not appear to properly position when the blade is open.

There is a large complex etch on the blade. Hope you can see it.

The pics should expand with two right clicks.

Impressive knife.

Asking price on this was $9000.00. ::facepalm::

Dimitri told me this same knife sold at auction a few years ago for 7K dollars.

Maybe the man that has it was the high bidder. I've known him for many years. He's always had some very high quality stuff. I bought one of my best Terriers from him.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
IMG_00000502.jpg
IMG_00000502.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great knife Charlie, was that Florida Bob's stuff?
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

No.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Man that is some case of knives. I like that switchblade above it too!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”