All About Pocket Knives

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:20 am 

Excellent story LT, those old guys were as tough as nails.

I now pause for a brief intermission and some pretty pictures. Note the guys standing in the frame work of the bridge. Postmarked Oct. 4 1907, John may have worked there when this picture was taken?

Attachments:
c.JPG
c.JPG [ 49.4 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]
d.JPG
d.JPG [ 54.75 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]
e.JPG
e.JPG [ 45.9 KiB | Viewed 442 times ]

AAPK Janitor #3607
Read The Jigged Bone Handles
If It Has A Cutting Edge I Probably Collect It

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:30 pm 

Nice post cards thankyou for posting them. Needless to say I have a lot of related pics each with its own story. However one good posting deserves another so here are some pics and some history. Prior to 1903 New York Knife did not have a Factory photo Col Bradley used a litho graph. It is pretty rare and I only know of it being printed in one particular publication. I wonder if anyone out there knows what that was ? Lets wee if anyone can answer that question anyway in 1903 The Fuller bros bought NYK ( Mckinley had switched his running platform from in favor of tariffs to against them and the Astute Col wisely decided to sell of course Mckinley was his buddy from the civil war but that is another story ). When the Fuller bros ( who had been the owners of Electric knife out of Newark ( they used to get there knives made on contract by NYK under there tang ). bought the company they wanted a new fangled photo graph. Now in them days photography was not as easy as today. They wanted a giant photo 3 feet or larger wide. There were only a few cameras in the country that could take this kind and size of picture ( called a coffin camera since it was a giant box on a tripod using a glass type negative ). One of these was in NYC. So they got hold of the photographer and he came to Walden set up his camera and took a picture . Now over the years this picture has appeared in some old magazines and people would also take photos of the photo not because of content but rather because of the size since pics this large were almost unheard of. The photo when done was sent to NYK where apparently it was given to someone in the factory to frame and it was then placed in the office of the company where it hung for years. In now hangs in my house and is one of our exhibits. The reason I know about the framing is because if you look at the pic you can see brown lines and a brown circle coming through to the front of the picture if you turn it over you can see the rough cut crate wood used as backing the lines between the slats and the brown circle is a knot hole. Also the backing is partially held on by vintage logo (arm hammer ) tape which was used to hold the slats in just as we do now with packing tape. I bought the picture at an auction some years ago. A pair of old eccentric bros had kept it for years and it came up at there estate. Actually I was surprised because there really was not alot of interest in it when it came up, except for me I was ready to take out a second mortgage however it was not necessary. I have attached a pic of this photo ( Note the pipe running down the building to the water near the falls side. That pipe was the then sewage system for liquid human waste for the workers.) I have also included a picture of the litho graph originally used by the company as its factory pic prior to the photo. ( I used to sell copies of them on ebay ). I also am including a split picture of the factory after it closed and was abandoned Notice the broken windows ect. This pic I believe from the late fortys . Thjere is a lot more I could explain about the factorys history it was eventually used as a firemans site for a practice fire exercise and burnt. It seems people would break in and vandalise as well as probably drink beer and whatever else. Can you imagine NYK and all its treasures and being able to wander through the abandoned factory looking. especially since when they went bankrupt they just closed the doors and walked away leaving it mainly intact. It had to be torn down since it was dangerous plus the water broke through the corner of the building by the falles and it would flood making it even more dangerous . I have pics of the actual damage being done by the high water knocking out the bricks taken as it was happening if any one would like me to dig them out they are also on display. This later pic is also quite large however it is in two pictures I am including that with this posting as well. If you look close you can still see the pipe I mentioned before, it is still running off the building into the Wallkil river ( remember the sewage system.) Down river the Wallkill river runs right past my house it is one of the best smallmouth rivers around I guess that is partly due from what the used let run into the river. I fished right there and caught those fish all my life. There really is a lot more to these tales and I urge any one with an interest to please contact me for a tour my only agenda is to not lose this history and to make people aware of this great heritage, during a time when people took pride in the products they made the country they lived in and the lives they lead. LT PS in an effort to enlarge the 1903 photo I cut off a display of knives below the pic which I should have left for a size reference still you should be able to get an idea. There is 150 years of history here so I am sorry this is not more complete but it is just to much for a posting. LT

Attachments:
MVC-037S.JPG
MVC-037S.JPG [ 31.14 KiB | Viewed 433 times ]
MVC-038S.JPG
MVC-038S.JPG [ 39.96 KiB | Viewed 433 times ]
MVC-039S.JPG
MVC-039S.JPG [ 36.06 KiB | Viewed 433 times ]
MVC-040S.JPG
MVC-040S.JPG [ 36.94 KiB | Viewed 433 times ]
NYK LITHO.JPG
NYK LITHO.JPG [ 76.63 KiB | Viewed 433 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 pm 

Lt,

Just so you know, there are several of us out here following every word of this thread. If you check the number of views this thread has received since it began, it is above 400 now, so someone is watching and reading. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with those of us who love knives and knife history.

Phil

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Our knives are more than metal and bone;
They're about who we are and the people we've known.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:51 pm 

After looking at the beautiful collection of autos made in America from a time when they were able to be made I took all my knives and put them in my tool box. Thank you for posting them. I live in Florida but I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. The next time I get near there I will make your museum part of my trip.
Wazu013

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:40 pm 

That was quite a factory in it`s day! Too bad it is gone. Good thing you saved that large picture of the factory, the only one in the world. That is amazing to see ::tu::

Also you pointed out the sewer pipe running down the side of the factory, who would have known? This is the kind of history I like and the little details that are usually lost over time.

Here is another real picture postcard, this one is undated. I think it is an earlier version of the one I first posted. The first photo, you could almost walk across the river it was so low. This card the water is much higher, also note there are about 37 school children lined up along the railing at the top. Over to the left are two adults. Another detail is there are not any trees on the right side and there is a white wooden building way in the back in this photo.

Dimitri

Attachments:
f.JPG
f.JPG [ 47.34 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
g.JPG
g.JPG [ 47.48 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]
h.JPG
h.JPG [ 37.78 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

AAPK Janitor #3607
Read The Jigged Bone Handles
If It Has A Cutting Edge I Probably Collect It

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:28 am 

Wazu looking forward to your visit. I do see that we are getting some readers. Regarding the NYK factory interestingly it was the first factory to make Ripleys because you entered from the top floor years later after NYK closed a factory in Newburgh NY ( just down the road around 13 miles ) also made Ripleys for the same reason Regal Bag was the factory . NYK was the largest knife factory in the world at one time. Amazing how I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast ( or if I even had breakfast ) however almost anything regarding knives sticks in my mind . It must either be some kind of early alzheimer syndrome I had heard that in some cases the afflicted, remembers long terms facts from years ago while forgetting the short term. Until it progresses to forgetting everything which in my case with some of the happenings of my personal life may be welcome. Otherwise perhapes it is some kind of idiot Savant thing you know where a person is severely mentally infirmed and handicapped but does one thing beyond human believe like playing on a piano every song in the world by only hearing it once or an unbelievable mathematics acumen like rainman. I actually maintain that my memory of a plethera of useless knife trivia and dimishing IQ, is do to 50 years of heavily imbibing giant volumes of Crown Royal. LT PS If you look at the pics of the factory you can understand why it was necessary to enter from the top which is actually the only part of the building at street level.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:34 am 

GREAT STUFF!!!! ::tu::

Keep it coming!!

I have nothing add other than I am enjoying this thread immensely.

Thanks for sharing and PLEASE continue.
Willie

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 am 

LT , I see you have been really busy. Outstanding , all your hard work has really came together. The temporary home of the museum is mind blowing. Thank you for keeping the history alive . This is fuel for my obsession. If you need anything just say the word.
Randy

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
R.I.P. Johnnie Fain
1949 - 2009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 am 

Awesome history LT!
Please keep it coming!

There are few of us who can add much to this thread, but we are avid readers. ::tu::
There are only a handful of people left who know this history, and you are the only one I know of who is telling the story.
Keep telling the story and we will keep listening.

Thanks for sharing this history.

Dale

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... e37-y.html

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:36 pm 

LT,
We are here, quietly watching and learning...
I hope to bring my two sons and lovely wife for a tour next summer...
Thank you
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:18 pm 

hello Mark, dale, Randy , and anyone out there. This being halloween and since some of you are good enough to read this stuff I thought perhapes a little trick and treat is in order. First the joke( trick) that I believe was insturmental in my being estranged from my family since I told it every year at holloween and I am sure as bad as it is it was part of my plight ready OK WHAT DO YOU CALL A HOT DOG WITH NO MEAT IN IT ? ANSWER A HOLLOW WEENIE . Its bad but it gets really bad after 40 years of hearing it. That was your trick. Now the treat. As you may recall I have harped on the demise of the Schrade collection and how it happened . it was bought by Blue Ridge and Smokey Mountain and instead of being saved for historical display was immediately gutted and sold all over the world more or less effectively destroying this american history. OH wait not quite there is one mad man who had put together a similar collection( only not nearly so grand ). and contrary to these people and there chinese friends plans there is a possibility this history may yet be saved .

However today I want to bring up the Schrade collection itself I have spoken of it but it is long gone. So what was this mystical collection in fact did it ever exist? Given some time I am sure history will be twisted to try to show that the Chinese always were the producers of Schrades. The Schrade collection was kept in two main places the executive meeting room which might have been 100 feet long had showcases mounted on the walls these filled two entire walls ( the other wall windows ) the last having the entrance and a small utility room . This segment of the collection consisted of examples of just about all of the knives which Schrade had made under most of its tang markings. It was not complete but it was close in fact I had sold some of my collection to Schrade for pieces they did not have. Now when Schrade acquired imperial it came with its collection and these also were dispalyed on the walls. some of those early prototypes Italian knives were breathtaking to a knife nut such as myself Also included in this area were giant display knives and some really neat odditys. Next to the presidents office was another large room this room was filled with more examples of every set and special issue they made. Imagine being a kid and walking into a room with every type of candy ever made it was amazing. Upon the new bank (which had affialiations and foreign backers ) taking over the old bank which Schrade had always used and never had a problem with they fore closed. They immediately padlocked the back collection room. ( Where the machine was that I wrote about earlier ( in this thread ). was kept. From that point on access to that area was not allowed. Now when Smokey agreed to keep the collection in tact I said that i would not stand in the way of them buying it since I had already made the financial plans necessary to at least bid against them. My only stipulation was that I might have to sell 10 or 15 percent of the easily replacable stuff initially due to the initial cost. Smokey stated that they would keep it in tact and so I at word stepped out. The fact is the method was called a stocking horse bid a term I never heard of but if I had bid and the price had been set by the bank and court as it was they would have had to sell some of it to me to break it up but since I did not bid they got it all at pennies on the dollar . If the bank had wanted full value they would have auctioned the knives as was originally planned . The banks reason was that it would take to long to auction does that makes sense to give up millions instead of keeping the auction company another day or two??? But you see they wanted there friends to get it who were friends of the the internationals who bought the bank this is all kind of confusing I agree however after a year of people like myself bitching about what had gone on, this was only one of several other clever moves ( Schrade was not the only chip in the game ( that fell ) congressional hearings were held regarding chinese business practices . Our senator Charles Schumer went to China to investigate he had a nice vacation I assume ate some chinese food and no one wever heard what happened . Chuck is an example of another of our upstanding efficient NY politicos. By the way Schrade owed about 11 or 12 million but had that much on order and was into process of making and delivering the product as they had done over the last 100 years they had borrowed against there sales and in the past had gotten extensions as a common procedure when payment to them backed up they had started dealing with Walmart who would send payment on there own schedule this allowed the new bank to fore close now if they had there money coming and as a regular procedure had extended in the past why would they foreclose and get pennies on the dollar instead of full payment with interest. Because it all went to there assiociates so really they just acquired the manufacturing and lost nothing. Even the lots like number 3 WIP were deliberly made so lage that only a firm with giant storage could buy it WIP work in progress sold for 35,000 dollars it was 28 trailer truck loads of knives and parts.

You know I did not want to rehash this but what the hell. In any event when this all took place and as the trucks were rolling to NY I started taking pics of some of the displays on the walls, the pics are terrible I was being rushed out of the building only a friend of mine downstairs bought me 15 minutes by holding up security so that I could at least have some record that this had existed. So these picture are terrible and some redundant I have a stack of these shots unfortunately due to time and the situation they are not great rhey will however give you an Idea of some of what was there. I scanned 10 multiple pics which is all I can post at one posting . Upon writing this I thought that perhapes you might also like to know the knives which were originally listed for auction I have that list however what I also have is a private list which was sent to several plant officials which shows not only the knives but there then estimated value . Shush don't tell but as soon as I post this I will start scanning that list. Perhapes some ninjas will attack me in the night I sure hope so. By the way even these estimates are low. So here is your treat a partial few pics of the Schrade Collection still on the wall.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 129.91 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 129.39 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 113.24 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 118.77 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 145.96 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 111.66 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 100.51 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
8.jpg
8.jpg [ 130.17 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
9.jpg
9.jpg [ 129.7 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
10.jpg
10.jpg [ 97.39 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:34 pm 

:shock:

WOW!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:25 pm 

Knife list of the Schrade collection . originally to be sold at auction

Attachments:
11.jpg
11.jpg [ 127.26 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
12.jpg
12.jpg [ 123.81 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
13.jpg
13.jpg [ 125.92 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
14.jpg
14.jpg [ 115.19 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
15.jpg
15.jpg [ 137.85 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
16.jpg
16.jpg [ 135.97 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
17.jpg
17.jpg [ 142.24 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
19.jpg
19.jpg [ 150.34 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
20.jpg
20.jpg [ 143.08 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]
21.jpg
21.jpg [ 149.84 KiB | Viewed 387 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:30 pm 

more from the collection I think I missed a page.

Attachments:
22.jpg
22.jpg [ 151.82 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
23.jpg
23.jpg [ 149 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
24.jpg
24.jpg [ 159.91 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
25.jpg
25.jpg [ 181.66 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
26.jpg
26.jpg [ 172.47 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
27.jpg
27.jpg [ 146.7 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
28.jpg
28.jpg [ 157.53 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
29.jpg
29.jpg [ 149.79 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
30.jpg
30.jpg [ 159.15 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
31.jpg
31.jpg [ 136.24 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:38 pm 

Last couple I did miss one but this should give you an idea. What a collection it was OH well it may be gone but not forgotten and for those with an interest alot is right here on display in fact in some case some of the items are more inclusive and complete in the museum right now. I believe I found the page I missed it is the last sheet. For those who want a wish list here it is. Happy Halloween. LT

Attachments:
32.jpg
32.jpg [ 110.86 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]
33.jpg
33.jpg [ 93.62 KiB | Viewed 385 times ]
18.jpg
18.jpg [ 155.91 KiB | Viewed 384 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next