All About Pocket Knives

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:55 am 

LT,

You stole it ::nod::

I don`t think that is too much, where and when are you going to find another one?

Like my brother always says, "It`s only too much if you don`t have the money"

I seen a broken, beat up one sell on feebay this year for around 5 grand :o

AAPK Janitor #3607
Read The Jigged Bone Handles
If It Has A Cutting Edge I Probably Collect It

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:48 am 

Well they say fsint heart never filled a flush and the only knives I ever regretted were the ones I didn't buy when I had the chance the good part is that while I am sure he will or did get at least 8 grand for them . I sure didn't have that in them. Anyway thanks for making me feel better about going for it and your right you can always make more money but chances to get some of these relics are getting farther and farther apart. Here is one I bought and believe me it set me back when I bought it . It was many years ago and it was five figures then. Still I am glad I bought it when I had the chance. LT

Attachments:
ZIPPER CLASP.JPG
ZIPPER CLASP.JPG [ 23.98 KiB | Viewed 579 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:02 am 

Amazing LT! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::drool:: ::drool::

I love looking at your knives, but I like the history lessons even more!
Thanks for sharing the stories and knives with us.

Dale

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... e37-y.html

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:27 pm 

LT,

I'm very pleased to know the temporary museum is now open and available to knife lovers for viewing. I want you and those who are in concert with you in this effort to know that there are folks like me out there who support and appreciate what you are doing for knife collectors everywhere by preserving this important history for all of us.
With that said, I also want you to know my membership application and check will be going out in today's mail as my small contribution to helping in this endeavor.
Best regards,

Phil

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Our knives are more than metal and bone;
They're about who we are and the people we've known.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:48 pm 

Thankyou for the words and your backing come on over when you can. LT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:58 pm 

lt632ret wrote:
the only knives I ever regretted were the ones I didn't buy when I had the chance

How TRUE!

I passed on plenty that I regret over the years :x

That Case Zipper is awesome :o :shock: ::drool::

Good thing you bought it, these are few and far between too, especially in that condition ::tu::

AAPK Janitor #3607

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:34 pm 

Personally I feel it is the best example in the world today. I had exactly 2 chances to buy one of these . The one you see belonged to a doctor down south as a kid before 1920 he bought two one he used all his life the other he put away. When he died his wife sold both to a well known dealer who had it awhile since his price was high enough to be considered a lot of money back then. I bought the used one first and was not happy with it so I took a loan and bought the pristene one. The other was in Green bone and was the one that used to appear in Jim Sargeants books. I had not found the one I have and it was up for sale . I like Jim and he is a great knife expert and gentleman . I have known him for years and he has in the past helped me out with information ect. I made the mistake of offering jim a low first price. it was only to see what his counter offer was. Not such a good idea he never made a counter offer and stopped talking to me. Frankly I was ready to pay his original price but never got the chance. So there ya go I have not sugar coated the story that how it went down and that is the way he felt. Interestingly enough I have a friend who lives in the mid west who I told this story to years later, he laughed and said that JIM did the same thing to him over the same knife. He also had known Jim for years. So the moral of the story is some people do not consider haggling part of the buying ritual in some cases not even a little bit. Jim is a knife legend and I think the world of him. LT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:39 am 

LT,

Now all you need is one of those Schrade knife display machines, the one that pushes the button to open a switchblade.

Sorry for my lack of a better name for it :?

Dimitri

AAPK Janitor #3607

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:16 am 

Some things are not ment to be. In the fiftys Dave Swinden ( Dave worked for 50 years for Schrade he started as a high school kid part time he was hired to wash the windows of the plant he went off to the service came back and eventually rose to vice president of Schrade I am proud to say he is a friend of mine. ) he took those machines to consolidated iron in Newburgh to be junked he saved 3 machines. I have followed those machines all these years. One one went to an employee who lived in Walden it was sold to Rhett Stidam with all the knives for 2000 dollars. The deal took place at a meeting of the two men at the Holiday inn in Newburgh. The second went to another employee and is now in the hands of a well known collector from Pennsylvania. The employee put it on ebay the collector saw it and asked what he would take for it a deal was cut and the collector drove that night in a blinding snow storm to get it . The third was Daves. who when I was a kid lived just up the street in Ellenville where this machine was for years. the machine was also stored in the old Ulster Schrade plant I used to fish ( as a kid ) off a rock that looked up at the window of the room where it sat for years. At the end of Schrade it was being used as a display at the shot show ect. It was supposed to go to me when they got ready and it was still Daves property. When Smokey mountain bought the collection the machine was in the room with the collection and they scoffted it up and by the way were not suppose to but the bank had locked the door to the collection room and frankly Smokey had not played by the rules from the beginning I have written about that before so one more infraction should not surprise anyone. They in turn sold it to Jerry Skelton. Jerry offered it to me. However the price both he and Rhett are asking is not in the realm of reality. Still this is there perogative. This is the gist of the story of the machines. from beginning to end I have been within a few feet of one or more of them since I was 10 years old BUT some things are not to be and that is life. It has not been for lack of effort on my part. If I had gotten it ( the Schrade collection or the machine) it would have become a saved part of history now it is part of a story about history. I have learned over the years that nobody can get everything . Although I sure have tried and have my share. I stated in the beginning that my collection is or is among the best in the world however it is not as good as the original Schrade collection was, I know, because I was the antiquarian for Schrade for a while at the end. ( however that collection is gone ) I begrudge no one anything, we all have our agenda some place money above all else. Who knows perhapes some day I will be forced by need to sell my collections it would have to be a necessity but you never know people need operations and things happen. However for right now I can afford to do whatever I want, drink whatever I want , and tell anyone in the world to go to hell if I so choose. I feel that is about as good as it gets, and the cherry on the cake is that for right now this history is safe and saved. That has been and is my agenda. In conclusion let me say does not having that machine that I have lusted for for over a half a century tick me off? I would be a liar if I did not say, You dang betcha . Then again there are a lot of things in this life that are not ment to be and that irk us all . Apparently this is one of them. So in answer to your question" why yes I am familiar with the machine you mention." LT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:47 pm 

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have been trying to buy a large old display knife for over 10 years. The guy that has it found it in an old barn he cleaned out, he got it for free. It is hanging between the floor joists in his basement on two large nails. I have tried repeatedly to buy it from him, no sale. He is not even a knife collector. Why does he keep it? Who knows, every 4 or 5 years he shows it to me hanging right where it has always been. Maybe because I want it so bad he won`t let it go.

If I had no interest in it he would probably sell it in a minute. Some people really aggravate me :lol:

AAPK Janitor #3607

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 am 

Hello just got in. What kind of a display is it a sign or actual knife. I have some stuff around is it a pocket display type one of the large bowie types a sign or what? LT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am 

It looks something like this one pictured below.

Except it is about 3 1/2-4 feet long. It is a table knife.

I believe it hung in a store window as an advertising gimmick to draw people in. Much like the pocket knives made by N.Y Knife Co., in fact this one could have been made by them also. Have you ever seen one this large before?

Attachments:
13.JPG
13.JPG [ 30.26 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

AAPK Janitor #3607

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:25 pm 

That is a dandy ask him if he wants to sell ( stay calm just kidding ). No I do not have one like that I have not seen that pattern ( handle ) by NYK almost any of them might have done it but it sure is nice. I am posting some pics of the NYK knives of that era ( around civil war ) until the 20tys . Also there main display knife for hardware stores was 2 blade hanging giant slipjoint . There are a few other wall type that i shot quickly just walking around the house a couple of the large hanging bowies. Just sort of a sampler for anyone wanting to see this stuff in person. By the way thankyou for responding it helps moving the thread I seem to be getting readers but not much response or writers or questions in the thread. it must be my winning personality oh well, thanks again. LT PS did you see what went on ebay yesterday a gutta percha Korn. I wonder if our conversation shook it out. One of the guys here at AAPK was good enough to write and tell me about it.

Attachments:
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG [ 33.61 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG [ 19.73 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG [ 38.83 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG [ 38.29 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG [ 35.88 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG [ 38.04 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG [ 36.1 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG [ 19.4 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-025S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG [ 18.09 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]
MVC-026S.JPG
MVC-026S.JPG [ 36.59 KiB | Viewed 526 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:30 pm 

Here are some more pics.

Attachments:
MVC-027S.JPG
MVC-027S.JPG [ 37.67 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-028S.JPG
MVC-028S.JPG [ 37.36 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-029S.JPG
MVC-029S.JPG [ 24.81 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-030S.JPG
MVC-030S.JPG [ 9.99 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-031S.JPG
MVC-031S.JPG [ 14.23 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-032S.JPG
MVC-032S.JPG [ 34.39 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-033S.JPG
MVC-033S.JPG [ 9.64 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-034S.JPG
MVC-034S.JPG [ 9.84 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
MVC-036S.JPG
MVC-036S.JPG [ 18.46 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:39 pm 

Rich,

Just to clarify, the knife pictured in my last post is not the actual knife I was talking about. I used it as an example of what the large display knife basically looks like. It`s been a few years since I have seen it so my memory is not clear on the exact handle design.

The knife pictured in my last post is from James Ward & Co. maybe you heard of them. They are know to be from Bronxville N.Y., but this knife is marked Riverside, Mass. Very scarce.

You have quite a collection of N.Y.K. table cutlery there ::tu:: I have a bone handle table knife in my collection. It is posted in the N.Y.K. thread here in knife lore.

Before the year is out I am going to pay him a visit and atleast get some pictures of it, if not persuade him to sell it.

No, I did not see the Korn listed, I will try and find it. Maybe we did shake it out with this thread ::shrug::

AAPK Janitor #3607

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next