Wawarsing Historical Society and Knife Museum

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
wazu013

Re: Wawarsing Historical Society and Knife Museum

Post by wazu013 »

Everytime I get drawn to this thread my jaw drops. I sure hope you get the support you need for all of us. I know if I still lived in Buffalo I would have made the trek ::nod:: I'm trapped in Florida but at least we see switchblades at every flea market. I actually trades about a dozen Chineese autos for this one at the Oldsmar Flea.
Thank you
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
bdev

Post by bdev »

lt632ret wrote:Right now we are still at the temp site which is 4 Buena Vista Ave Wallkill NY , Tours right now are by appointment call 845 895 3501 . Hopefully if we can get enough funding we will be open weekends at least later this year at the permanent address. Thankyou for the interest. LT
Thanks LT,
I've been a stones throw from your museum every time I go to Gardiner to have my car serviced at Beeks Auto. I come from Washingtonville and make the right onto 208 from 300.
I'll call the next time I plan to be in the area.
Thanks......Bruno
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Yep you would need a good arm to throw the stone but actually it is not much more than a stones throw.
mickeyevans

Post by mickeyevans »

how is it going? can I still join?
The only mystery in life is why the kamikaze pilots wore helmets.
Mickey
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello to all OK it has been around 15 years ( yes that is 15 ) since the inception of the idea of a historical knife museum to keep the history of the cutlery industry and its people in the hudson valley alive. It has been a battle no actually more like a crusade. I used to use the analogy of an ant crossing 42nd street a monumental task that is impossible and really is an exercise in futility none the less the ant had always wanted to see the other side of 42nd street so he started off one step at a time. He really knew that he didn't have much hope but he had to try even if it killed him. Still in spite of the odds some ants make it across. That is us. Our funding is limited ( and that is being politely optimistic. ) there are only a handful of active participants although we now have around 125 members. Most of the hands on people are old farts excuse me I mean senior citizens ( like me ) . In my case I always said that this would either happen or i would die trying. The Hudson valley which once was the center of domestic cutlery production 50 to 70 percent of all the knives produced in this country were made in NYS actually in a little village called Walden made up of a few thousnd people and three knife companies, New York Knife, Walden Knife, and Schrade Cutlery co. This state is my home and i am sorry to say it is a dysfunctional, bueracratic, political, nightmare. I cannot begin to explain how every minor thing is made into an obstacle. First it took 8 years to write a bill and have it passed into law so that automatic knives had a legal procedure for there display.( NOTE automatics were the largest selling of all patterns telling this story and not being able to explain there part in the story is like telling the history of WWll and leaving out the atomic bomb because someone might be offended by it) Up to that point there was a hodge podge of nebulous laws that were interpreted by individual agencys upon there whim that day. I will not go further into that except to say that I had to explain there own laws and what was proposed to a group of a comittee of state assemblymen since they had no idea of what the laws were. It was amazing. Then there was the state charter we had to meet the same criteria as the New York state museum of natural history ( I believe they may be slightly better funded and have slightly more access to lawyers ect to address such an undertaking. Then our six elderly board of directors ( we also sweep up the place). It took a year to get a permit for a sign which of course had a fee to put up. So it went obstacle after obstacle. No assistance just curt clerks telling us what the fee was and if a T was not crossed correctly. One step at a time said the ant one day at a time as the myriad of cars rolled down 42nd street and we kept ploding along. when Schrade the last of the giant Hudson valley knife companies closed in 2004 . There factory collection was sold it is a long story and losing it would have virtually destroyed any meaninful collection of artifacts of this history except for a few people who fanatics like my self who had preseved it privately. I had been an antiquarian and curator for Schrade when they closed as well as doing customer shows on the East coast so I know what was in the factory collection our collective accumulation is equal and in some ways surpasses the factory collection. We have over come all the legal hurdles somehow with virtually no money we have a building and believe it or not JULY 12 2014 is to be our opening day. On July 12 the ant gets to the other side of 42nd street. I still do not know if i will make it but I am closer and the odds are a lot better. I have explained in past postings why keeping this american history is important and the story it tells, suffice it to say that these companies main product was not knives but rather the people and familys and there contributions to our history . The complexitys of this project have been monumental, I do not know how long we will be able to sustain ourselves. We have alot of things planned we hope to have a knife trading on the back porch on Saturdays , Our new law allows for member agents ( which is on the card each member gets) to carry and transport automatic knives in NYS
as long as they are in good standing and meet the criteria. I do not know what problems will come next I am sure there will be many but for now. The engine has started and we will be in motion on the 12th. I have hesitated in announcing this since it has been such a long road. I want to thank those of you who have supported us . My credibility is very important to me and considering the time frame it has taken being able to announce our opening is especially gratifying. We will be open on weekends 10 AM until 4 PM through the summer. We are at 3 Irish Cape road. just off route 209 about 2 miles up from the old Schrade plant. Look for the giant knife on the building. Come check out the largest Napanoch AX collection in the world, Honk Falls , Napanoch, NYK, Walden, Schrade. Grahamsville Ulster, Warwick, Nagle , Kipsi Kut. AUTOMATICS and more. I hope to meet any of you that can make it LT
Attachments
100_0976.JPG
100_0968.JPG
100_0969.JPG
100_0970.JPG
100_0971.JPG
100_0974.JPG
100_0957.JPG
wlf

Post by wlf »

Congratulations,hard work always has it's rewards Rich.I hope to meet you sometime and visit the museum.

I'm the guy you sent the scans of the farmers jacks to.I would love to see some pictures of that S7303 made of unused parts you talked about.I finally found one,albeit not the best of condition,but I love it.

I look forward to more of your posts.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

The truth is we have more stuff than we have room for at least presently . it is a nice problem it will allow us to rotate the displays . Was that the farmers jack with a rooster bark blade? it is the only one I remember changing any blades I had the rooster debarker blade changed. I had found one in a baby food jar that had been given to me years ago filled with old pattern blades punches, and various old can opener blades. It was unmarked but brand new. when i get room I will put out a display of that pattern at the museum. Come on over and I will show it to you . Treat me right and if I do not have it in to difficult a place I will take it out and let you see it. Thats the privledge of being the curator and owning most of the stuff. LT
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Man that's great news ::groove:: Congratulations!!!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Congrats LT, I know you have worked hard on this for years!
I am glad to see it finally happen. ::ds::
I just I could be there to see all the knives!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
wlf

Post by wlf »

lt632ret wrote:The truth is we have more stuff than we have room for at least presently . it is a nice problem it will allow us to rotate the displays . Was that the farmers jack with a rooster bark blade? it is the only one I remember changing any blades I had the rooster debarker blade changed. I had found one in a baby food jar that had been given to me years ago filled with old pattern blades punches, and various old can opener blades. It was unmarked but brand new. when i get room I will put out a display of that pattern at the museum. Come on over and I will show it to you . Treat me right and if I do not have it in to difficult a place I will take it out and let you see it. Thats the privledge of being the curator and owning most of the stuff. LT
Yes, that's the one.

This is the old one I was fortunate enough to find. A "rare bird". Flat blades.
Attachments
Schrade Cut S7303 rooster675.jpg
Schrade Cut S7303 rooster676.jpg
Schrade Cut S7303 rooster677.jpg
Schrade Cut S7303 rooster679.jpg
Schrade Cut S7303 rooster680.jpg
Schrade Cut S7303 rooster681.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Sorry I could not get back sooner. Here are some pics of some roosters and farmers jacks including the one you inquired about. It has the bar shield. Regards LT
Attachments
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG
MVC-020S.JPG
MVC-021S.JPG
MVC-022S.JPG
MVC-023S.JPG
MVC-024S.JPG
MVC-025S.JPG
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks so much Rich for taking the time to show me those.That's a nice one to come out of a jar ,I think that's what you said.

That Fibestos is a real treasure.I suppose it did come from the guys that bought Schrade's showrooms.I sure would like to have that S7303 that was on Schrade's board.I was hungry for any picture of a rooster comb or farmers jack back when we first started talking.Now they say I have most of them. :)

I get around to it I'll send or post a group shot(if I can arrange them all)my Schrade made ones,I don't know how many I have,but considerable more than any other maker.

Keep in touch.

Lyle
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hello to all, the Wawarsing historical and knife Museum. Will be having its grand opening on Saturday July 12 at TEN AM. Anyone in the area or having an interest in the history of the knife industry in the Hudson Valley or in fact is just curious is welcome. This has been a long journey and I have no idea of how long we will be able to maintain this effort. The NKCA certainly generated more finances and had a larger base of members and even they went under. By the way they made a donation of around 80 beautiful local and of interest knives to our museum and they are all on display. In the same display case we have a complete set of the NKCA annual knives which are on loan from one of our members. I really want to thank Bruce Voyles for his effort in our receiving this donation from the NKCA. I also want to thank Russ and Stuart Taylor for there help and a donation of SC500 display cases.

For those who have helped out with membership donations and simply by keeping the faith and believing that this would someday happen I want you to know that your support and positive words are not forgotten. To those who doubted and castigated I do not blame you and in fact thank you as well. Without the derision I might very well have said to hell with it. The fact that I had given my word that I would not give up my efforts as long as I was alive kept me going when the neigh sayers and name callers sat on there butts and jeered. My goals are the same now as they were when we started this endeaver 15 ( yes fifteen ) years ago. Simply it is to keep this segment of American history alive so that the 150 years of effort, work ethic, contributions and patriotism. of the people who made this history is not lost.to present and future generations. To be honest If I knew 15 years ago what a frustrating, nearly impossible undertaking this was going to be I truly doubt that I would have committed myself to it.

This museum offers a chance to look back and see a segment of American history that for the most part was considered lost. We will be exhibiting hundreds of vintage and antique automatics. Korn, press button, Schrade, flylock, presto.Wiltzen ,Case Kabar,Remington imports old English, French, German. Just to name some, examples of most every type and vintage of domestic and many old imports. every thing in my book The collectors guide to switchblade knives plus many more that I have accumulated in the 12 years since my book came out. Just writing a bill and getting it passed to allow a legal procedure for the display of automatics in New York State took 8 years. We actually have so much that we cannot show everything because we are out of room. We will be changing and adding special displays regularly. Regular folders include, Lyman Bradley, NYK Mattewan, NYK Walden, Walden Knife, Schrade, Ulster, Napanoch, Honk falls, Kipsi Kut, WarwicK Grahamsville, Orange. The largest collection of Napanoch AX in the world and as I said this is just to name some..

We hope to establish a Saturday morning Knife swap and bull session on the back porch hopefully every week. A place where people can come talk and trade. We are also planning a knife show on the property. However for right now I am just happy to be able to say that the museum is open. If anyone wants to be a part of our organization, or is insane ( excuse me ) I mean has a desire to open up similar venture ( knife museum ) and I can in any way offer some help please feel free to contact me. Once again Thankyou All LT
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I read about this in the mailing that was sent out. Congrats on finally making this happen. I wish I was a bit closer, or had a reason to drag the family on a road trip.

It would be amazing to see all those great knives in person.

Anyway, good to see you still fighting the good fight, Rich!

Glenn
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Hi it was exhausting for an old guy but quite gratifying we had several hundred people. everyone seemed to enjoy the museum. We had a lot of compliments TV coverage, newspapers and all in all it was amazing. it remains to be seen how long we will exist museums are rough to maintain without some kind of help from some kind of grant or tax based resource ( such as a library would have ), or a benefactor. Still we are open and functioning. That is what I promised i would try to do. We have automatics legally on display which is a first in NYS. We hope to have some shows where knives can be traded and sold just like guns at gun shows. now that we are in business and people are realizing that fact there seems to be a lot more interest to get involved . While I feel that our displays are impressive I myself could fill another or perhapes two more rooms with what I still have on hand this should allow us to maintain that interest. So we will take it one day at a time actually that is all any of us have in the long run. To anyone out there you are invited stop over and introduce your self and see and experience some true american history and artifacts. thanks again to all of you who have supported our dream. LT PS We will be open 10 AM till 4 PM Saturdays and Sundays till labor day.
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

What you have accomplished is truly monumental , my hat`s off to you .
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

The museum is great!!! We had a great time and the displays of the older knives made in the region where great to see. Everyone was really pleasant and friendly. Thanks for all the hard work LT and your group for getting it done. I will be visiting often!!
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

I wish I lived closer to you. It looks like I could spend a lot of time enjoying your museum. Maybe one of these days.... Great job. Mark.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Unbelievable! Some knives I've only heard of but never actually seen. Very impressive, and worth the drive. Thanks for preserving this important history and also paying tribute to the men and women who produced some very fine knives in this region.
Jay
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Thanks for the words guys Mike and Jay thanks for coming over. i appreciate the support especially from people who know the subject and understand the mission.
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Here are some pics taken by a photographer from a Kingston NY newspaper. Showing some of our museum which closed for the year on labor day but we hope to open again next memorial day. We plan to do knife shows and offer other projects like old fashioned knife swapping ( that is KNIFE not Wife) out on the back porch on Saturday mornings ( like they used to do down south ). I hope you like the pictures .
http://media.dailyfreeman.com/2014/09/0 ... um-photos/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Those were great pictures!
Thanks for posting them Rich. ::tu::

Makes me want to drive cross country just to see the museum, well, almost that is a looong drive! ::dang::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
wlf

Post by wlf »

I hope to make it there someday Rich,and thanks for the communication and help with the farmers jacks.

Dale,I agree those pictures are great,thanks for sharing those Rich.

Lyle
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Lt those pictures make me want to take a road trip in the worst sort of way!

I'm so glad you folks have been able to get the museum up and running. If I'm ever even close I want to spend some time there drooling on the countertops. ::drool::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
lt632ret

Post by lt632ret »

Now that we have some time we have been trying to get some of the work done that is needed to promote the museum. We now have a web site ( which is in its fledgling state ). this is the address http://andrew303.wix.com/wawarsing please check in on us we will be adding ( hopefully ) much more.In the mean time it is a start.

We owe a lot of thanks to the Taylor family ( owners of Schrade ) who have helped us in more ways than I can mention. Including making there video team as well as program and computer people available to us. They have been amazing. The one thing I can guarantee is that there desire to keep the history of Schrade and the 175 year cutlery industry in the Hudson Valley alive and vibrant is genuine. They like myself truly feel that this American history will not be lost to this generation and those to come. If we can keep the history alive then also we keep the candle lit that someday this great industry may yet return to this country.

This thread has been rather dormant for some time the reasons for that were that this project has been a leap of faith taking many years. To those who have continued to watch and support us my sincere thanks. To those who are unfamiliar or may not know our story please look in on us and ask some of the regulars to fill you in. We certainly will welcome any interest with open arms. We are still a long shot venture. Just a couple of months ago the NKCA went under compared to them and there resources we are like a rowboat to a battleship. However we are still afloat and bailing like hell so welcome aboard. The most frustrating thing about this project was that each piece had to be put in place before the next could be added. Dealing with a million rules and regulations along with all the beuracractic chaff we had to wade through. We had to crawl for a long time I believe at this point we are up and walking and I am looking forward to kicking into a run.

Knife shows in NYS with antique and vintage SWITCHBLADES. Knives and displays from every company from the Hudson valley. eventually swap meets, hopefully customs and military it will be a while but with your support it can and is happening. Thankyou All LT

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”