Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Re: Old Pruning and Horticultural Knives

Post by LongBlade »

Beechtree - that Waterville is awesome ::tu::

A few more of my horticultural/pruners for the thread….

H&B - Hawkbill – 4 & ½” – Ebony – Brass liners and end cap - brass liners are unusual on most hawkbills from my experience though I have seen them on Case Hawkbills (but please correct me if that is an incorrect observation on brass liners and hawkbills in general) and the brass end cap trips my trigger…. Blade only lightly sharpened and still has that hawkbill point - Bonus ;-)…. Beautiful H&B stamp on blade and good clear tang stamp…. Tight and snaps hard…
H&B Hawkbill DSCN8643A.jpg
H&B Hawkbill Blade DSCN8657A PS.jpg
George Butler & Co Trinity Works Sheffield - Swayback Stag Jack - (Peach Pruner is correct pattern name from what I have learned from wlf – thanks Lyle!) – (3 & ¾”) – Integrated iron liners and bolsters puts this pre-1860… I’m guessing 1830-50 time frame based on company history in Tweedale… just a lovely knife in hand with that old stag and a heavily curved & tapered back spring (from pivot bolster to end of spring it just continues to get larger) that wraps so nicely around the end… blade was a lambsfoot though has seen some honest sharpening – and a stovepipe kick to boot! It almost looks above the nail nick that the spine had some wear from somebody putting their finger on that area when cutting… or it was made with that gentle slope above nick… either way I just have a real affinity for swayback jacks ;-)
G Butler Swayback Mark Side DSCN7942A.jpg
G Butler & Co Swayback Jack Pile Side DSCN7950A.jpg
G Butler & Co Swayback Jack Blade DSCN7994A.jpg
G Butler & Co Swayback Jack DSCN8027A.jpg
G Butler Swayback Jack Tang Stamp - DSCN8046A.jpg
Camillus - Swayback Jack (Peach Pruner) – 3 & ¾” - Iron liners, pins and bolster & Ebony handles.... Blade was a lambsfoot based on swedge IMO… not a sheepsfoot… I just couldn’t resist this one as a “special opportunity” find – those swayback are just so appealing! I didn’t get a good tang stamp photo but it is the older 4 line straight stamp so thinking between 1919-1946 (guessing earlier than later in that time period):
CAMILLUS
CUTLERY CO
CAMILLUS, N.Y.
U.S.A.

Here's a few pics - more pics are on the Camillus subforum where I previously posted it:
Camillus Swayback Jack  - Mark Side.jpg
Camillus SB J Blade DSCN7563A.jpg
Thanks for looking....

Post by wlf »

B,is that horn? I really think not,as I think it might be rare for horn to have cracks? Has anyone seen cracks in horn,bug trails yes??

Nice old ones Lee,I really,really like that rat tail bolster on the George Butler.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Those are beautiful knives, Lee. Congratulations!
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks Lyle and Joe ::tu:: ... those horticultural knives can be addicting ::nod:: ... what a disease ::facepalm:: :wink:

Post by wlf »

LongBlade wrote:Thanks Lyle and Joe ::tu:: ... those horticultural knives can be addicting ::nod:: ... what a disease ::facepalm:: :wink:
For good reason Lee,they serve mostly close to our heart, our stomachs.I grin
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Man those knives are beauties!! Love the Camillus. Here is my latest on Mason & Sons old PA brand.
Attachments
mason&sons1.jpg
mason&sons2.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Wow Mike, that old rare one has the curve. And Wow.I started researching Samuel Mason ,oh the tangled web woven in the cutlery industry,fascinating.

Lyle
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Thanks Lyle, I was really happy to get this one. I was the only bidder on ebay still can't believe it!!
wlf

Post by wlf »

Knowledge is king,quite an obscure stamp. ::tu:: ::tu:: Less money
is even more funny.

Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Beautiful knife, Mike. Nice score.

Here's a Walden Knife Co. NY.
Attachments
DSCN0975.JPG
DSCN0979.JPG
DSCN0986.JPG
DSCN0988.JPG
DSCN0989.JPG
DSCN0991.JPG
DSCN0994.JPG
DSCN0996.JPG
Joe
wlf

Post by wlf »

Joe that ebony on those, with the end cap and the line of the curves is so graceful,almost poetic.

Lyle
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Very nice Joe, must have great snap with that thick back spring and square joint construction ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Lyle. It is graceful indeed.

Thank you Dimitri. I'm glad they built that square joint into this knife. Thats got to test your skills,
getting the tang to the end of the bolster and, at half stop, keeping the spring at the top of the knife, which it does. Very strong knife. No wobble at all.

Thanks guys.
Joe
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Beautiful knives everyone. Thanks for posting them. This is an old French pruning knife. Unusually, it does not have any metal liners... just thick stag scales.
Attachments
DSC_0532 (3).jpg
DSC_0534 (3).jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Holy mackerel! ::drool::

How long is it closed?
AAPK Janitor
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

And does it have a backspring?

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks for the comments guys. The French pruner is about 5 inches long closed. Yes, it has a back spring but has no snap left.
Rust Never Sleeps
wlf

Post by wlf »

Steve,that has an unusual design,as seems a lot of French knives.That's interesting and a man's knife,but I think the French are better at designing other things than knives, that's just me. They should have looked more eastward across the English Channel.

Thanks for posting it,I don't think I own any French knives. Yes I do,this government issue that you, Gus,or someone alerted me to on the foreign auction site. Kind of a farmers jack,but I think it's a double spring.

Stephen Theirs
Attachments
knives and house reconstruction ,Loretta 1116.JPG
knives and house reconstruction ,Loretta 1119.JPG

Lyle
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

[quote="wlf"]B,is that horn? I really think not,as I think it might be rare for horn to have cracks? Has anyone seen cracks in horn,bug trails yes??

Sorry for the incredibly slow response WLF. It is indeed horn, I would guess that it is simply splitting due to pressure from the pin, and age. This is quite an old piece, just drying over age means that the horn can separate in the same plane as the growth lines of the horn (i.e. the split is not perpendicular but parallel to the growth lines, elephant ivory tends to do the same thing and is much more common)

Great score Mike, that Binns & Mason is truly a treasure. Thanks for sharing it. I am glad you scooped it up on eBay, instead of being lost in someones dresser drawer or some other place ::doh::

Here is a L.F. & C. lock back pruner. As with all lock backs from this time period (1930s or prior) I find they tend to be quite rare, except for possibly in the larger hunting type models. A pruner with a lock of course makes perfect sense, but as they would have been a cheeper model knife, having the lock would have brought up the purchase price, and thus they seem to be pretty uncommon. This knife is another great example why it is not a good idea to sharpen a fine knife on a grinding wheel, unless you are well trained. In this case, the culprit was obviously not.
Attachments
IMG_2303.jpg
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Beechtree wrote:Here is a L.F. & C. lock back pruner. As with all lock backs from this time period (1930s or prior) I find they tend to be quite rare, except for possibly in the larger hunting type models.
Beautiful knife, very hard to find! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
wlf

Post by wlf »

I'll second what Dimitri says B,and thanks for staying so abreast. Grin'n

Lyle
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

SK that is a great looking French knife, This one I believe is of French Origins also, BRL thinks so too. It's a big one at 5" closed. J Caire San Francisco
Attachments
Caire1.jpg
Caire2.jpg
Caire3.jpg
Caire4.jpg
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Thanks Dimitri, it was sure a fun prize to pick up.

Wlf, I will try to stay more abreast in the future. It seems that I am only able to post in fits and spurts, not quite the steady flow I would desire.

Mike, great knife to compare to smiling-knife's. They have different style stag but both are very pretty ::nod::
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Added this Catt pruner to the collection, full blade, nice wood, Cocobolo?
Attachments
IMG_6016.jpg
IMG_6024.jpg
IMG_6025.jpg
IMG_6029.jpg
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Nice looking pruner!!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”