Old Unusual Novelty Knives And Secret Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Unusual Novelty Knives And Secret Knives

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is another odd one by Novelty Knife Co. no less.

It has pierced and decorated handles that are a brass base with nickle plating, no liners like a conventional pocket knife.

The neat thing about this one is that you can see the spring in operation through the holes in the handles as you are opening and closing the blades also lint and dirt are easy to clean out with a knife like this, just a neat old knife!
Attachments
nov2.JPG
nov5.JPG
AAPK Janitor
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

MB, very interesting and neat knife. Is it the Novelty Cutlery Co. from Canton OH, or from Brooklyn NY? I was just looking it up in Goins, and noticed he listed two companies of the same name.
Dan
Dan
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Dan,

I am pretty sure this knife was made in Germany due to the way "Co. " has a short line under it.

With that said I would go with the import company from N.Y. ::nod::

I have also seen these in a variety of different celluloid handles.
Attachments
nov4.JPG
AAPK Janitor
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

MB - I agree it is an interesting old knife. There is something to be said for easy cleaning, too.
Mel
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Have you ever seen those pendant necklaces made from American silver coins where somebody with a deft hand has removed internal sections of the coin leaving just the profile of Washington or Jefferson, Mercury or FDR's head?

I'm wondering if one could do likewise on an all metal U.S. military utility knife from WWII or later, one that has no brass liners and do scroll or floral motif work such as on Dimitri's knife.

Anyone that set up at a knife show with a table of such knives would do quite well.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Have you ever seen those pendant necklaces made from American silver coins where somebody with a deft hand has removed internal sections of the coin leaving just the profile of Washington or Jefferson, Mercury or FDR's head?

I'm wondering if one could do likewise on an all metal U.S. military utility knife from WWII or later, one that has no brass liners and do scroll or floral motif work such as on Dimitri's knife.

Anyone that set up at a knife show with a table of such knives would do quite well.

Charlie Noyes
Charlie: I believe a lot of those are done using an industrial laser.My ex-brother-in-law used to work for a company back in the 1980's installing industrial lasers that performed work very similar to that.They had a giveaway piece in the form of a key fob with their logo cut away using one of their machines which was made from Monel steel that was so hard a file would just skate across it.If I recall the projected beam was about .003" in diameter.
Laser technology has come a long way since then.Those machines then cost over a hundred thousand dollars and the programs to run them very expensive.
Doing one by hand would be quite labor-intensive and I'm not sure you could keep the price within reason.Nice thought though. ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Have you ever seen those pendant necklaces made from American silver coins where somebody with a deft hand has removed internal sections of the coin leaving just the profile of Washington or Jefferson, Mercury or FDR's head?
Like this one Charlie?

I found this one several years ago in a jewelry box, got it for next to nothing, I often look at it and marvel at the precise cuts that were made to create it.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
AAPK Janitor
Dull

Post by Dull »

I've never seen one of those cut out coins before. Pretty cool & so delicately worked. I can't imagine doing that by hand...must have been a laser.
A dull blade is indicative of a dull mind.
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

That was probably done way before lazers were invented.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This is the type knife I'm referring to.

Take this knife apart, do the filigree/scroll/floral work, preserving the assembly pin holes, then reassemble.

I suppose time/labor/material costs would exceed selling price point.

Charlie
Attachments
StevensonMil-KB.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is another unusual old knife, comes with everything you may need in a knife on a hunting trip.
Attachments
4.jpg
AAPK Janitor
Otis the 3rd

Post by Otis the 3rd »

Cool stuff shown here!!! Thanks.......These technically aren't knives but do fall into the novelty category
Attachments
1014141538.jpg
Mason

Post by Mason »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
Like this one Charlie?

I found this one several years ago in a jewelry box, got it for next to nothing, I often look at it and marvel at the precise cuts that were made to create it.
Very cool knife and coin!!!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Otis the 3rd wrote:Cool stuff shown here!!! Thanks.......These technically aren't knives but do fall into the novelty category

You just gotta love that bottom right model. Roach clip knife. Who'd a thunk it? ::facepalm::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

philco wrote:You just gotta love that bottom right model. Roach clip knife. Who'd a thunk it? ::facepalm::
Th' same person who thunk up the drug spoons to the left of the roach clip :roll:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
junebug

Post by junebug »

$40 on pump #6 ,a soda, 2 deli red burritos....anything else sir??

HMMMMM ::hmm:: ....YES!, lemme get a ROACH CLIP, INK PEN, with enough ink ta sign ma name twice,a mustache comb........and a COKE SPOON! THAT'LL BOUT DO IT! THANKS! ::tu::

one stop shoppin with that lil display,VERY COOL :mrgreen: ::tu::
thanks fer showin' ....gave me a good chuckle :lol: ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Otis the 3rd

Post by Otis the 3rd »

Your right on the sign your name twice, have yet to see one of these pens that still write..... And yes all 4 are on the same patent from 1981. I just wish the spoon wasn't sooooo damn small ::woot:: Pretty sure the comb was to remove debris from your beard after using the clip and the spoon. :lol:
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Otis the 3rd wrote: I just wish the spoon wasn't sooooo damn small
The reason the spoon is so small is that it was used for two different applications:Some think it was used for snuff and others believe it was used to clean ear wax. I don't think you would want anything larger being jammed into your ear.
junebug

Post by junebug »

Otis the 3rd wrote:Your right on the sign your name twice, have yet to see one of these pens that still write..... And yes all 4 are on the same patent from 1981. I just wish the spoon wasn't sooooo damn small ::woot:: Pretty sure the comb was to remove debris from your beard after using the clip and the spoon. :lol:

::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::
too funny, Otis!!!!!
thanks fer a good laugh, AGAIN!!!! ::handshake::

still COOL DISPLAYS & KNIFE RELATED ITEMS 8) 8) 8) 8) ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Here is one I just got. Safety Pocket Knife. I had seen one that a friend brought to show last year and they are pretty cool. It is a gravity knife. You push in on the tabs in the handle and hold it blade down and the blade slides out and locks open. Works the same on both ends. Neat at 3 1/2" closed
Attachments
safety1.jpg
safety2.jpg
safety3.jpg
safety4.jpg
safety6.jpg
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Very cool knife, galvanic1882! ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Definitely a cool knife galvanic! I remember many years ago there was a guy in the Chicago area who used to send out a newsletter of knives for sale(wish I could remember his name;I may still have one of his lists). In one of them he was advertising an out the front automatic with a blade on both ends.It must have been very similar to your knife.He never included pictures but always had a huge selection of odd ball knives for sale.Another one he advertised that I would have liked to purchase had I the funds to do so was a walking stick made in Portugal that had a spring loaded(one way only)8 inch blade that was activated by a button near the handle.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice one Mike! ::tu:: ::tu::

These are not rare but I don`t think one has been posted in this thread yet.

Novelty gravity screwdriver.
Attachments
novelty gravity.jpg
AAPK Janitor
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Wow guys! Very cool, novel and entertaining!
Randy
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

Here is one from Swan Works Germany, have no idea when it was made, I'm guessing pre 1950.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”