Old Unusual Novelty Knives And Secret Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
knife-nut

Re: Old Unusual Novelty Knives And Secret Knives

Post by knife-nut »

I just saw this one on ebay. Its not mine and I'm not bidding on it. But it's kind of neat. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pen-Kni ... 3a8acf7979
Attachments
$_1.jpg
$_1.jpg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knife-nut wrote:I just saw this one on ebay. Its not mine and I'm not bidding on it. But it's kind of neat. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pen-Kni ... 3a8acf7979
I believe that is a recently made one.I have a couple similar to it:one is an out the front and the other is a out the side letter opener.(left side of pic and top respectively)
Attachments
2012Drawer15 9.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
roofsc

Post by roofsc »

director's knife, Bigelow-Sanford is or was a carpet company. this is a carpet knife
Attachments
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG
" there is a collection in my accumulation ? "
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Neat old item ::tu::

An object of the present invention is to provide a cutter which facilitates the cutting of carpet, such as two-heddle woven carpet, in which the pile loops in alternate rows are staggered relative to each other. Where the pile loops are staggered in such a manner, it is difficult to cut such carpet uniformly in a weft wise direction preparatory to seaming of the carpet or the like. The present invention by utilizing the pile loops makes it possible for an operator to sever such a fabric by making a cut on the pile face in such a way that the severed loops will be substantially uniform in height and present a neat straight edge suitable for seaming or the like.
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a couple of unusual knives:
First has an unusual shape master blade with a straight cutting edge and hook on the tip;a saw that has a pierced nail mark and a pruning shaped blade that only opens to 90 degrees.On the spine is a folding bottle can/bottle cap opener.Could it be a vintner's knife as the pruner shaped blade is usually used for harvesting grapes?
Next is one that I bought because it has so much stuff on it.In addition to the folding spear point master blade;can opener;bottle opener/screwdriver;and fish scaler/hook disgorger/scale calibrated in millimeters,it also sports a folding magnifying glass,a small compartment that holds fishing hooks and line,a folding sighting tool with compass to plot headings,a flashlight and a WHISTLE! Strangely enough the compass actually works pretty well and the tools;while not top quality seem to be pretty decent.Only marking is Stainless Steel on the blade which could mean China or maybe Japan as it doesn't look to be of recent manufacture.I think I paid less than $5 for it.
Attachments
UnusualMultiBlades1 001.jpg
UnusualMultiBlades1 002.jpg
UnusualMultiBlades1 003.jpg
UnusualMultiBlades1 004.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Nice ones Ray! 8)
AAPK Janitor
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Odd little advert knife. RCA Tubes knife. Gifted from JoeDirt.
Attachments
IMG_8057.JPG
IMG_8058.JPG
IMG_8059.JPG
Love all Jacks
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here is a little W.H. Morely and Sons pen knife that resided in my knife graveyard for some time before I realized what it was. It did trick me since it was purchased with a large group I didn't pay much attention to it as there were others in the group that I was more interested in.

Both blades are marked. The reverse side of the master blade is marked "GERMANY PATENT PDG"

Notice there are no nail pulls on the blades. The blades are opened by pressing the blade, opposite of the one you want to open down into the frame of the knife. Then the desired blade pops up at about 45 degrees on the master or 30 degrees on the pen as shown. Just pull the blade the rest of the way to the fully opened position and it's like any other little pen knife. The knife is well worn but the blades stay open or fully seated closed as they should. I think it's a pretty cool little knife.

Wayne
Attachments
DSC05723.JPG
DSC05727.JPG
DSC05728.JPG
DSC05729.JPG
DSC05730.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I like that one Wayne! ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Bargle

Post by Bargle »

Lawrence wrote:A few pages back, someone posted a 'trick' knife. I'm not sure if my knife requires the same trick, but here's mine, from Germany. It has a sliding ball bearing inside that locks the knife when you close the blade and press lightly on it, then tip the knife. To open you press the (closed) blade slightly and tip the knife the other way, the ball rolls out, and you can open the blade. It took me a while to figure this one out :oops: but the flea-market guy I bought it off of didn't know how to open it either, so I got it for $1.

The other one is a novelty knife similar to Gino's. The design of this knife is very interesting and I wonder what it would be like if it were made of quality materials. cheers
I had one of those ball bearing knives years ago. On mine the sides had a inset area where it looked like a set of stick on scales could be fitted. Mine didn't have any. Don't know what ever became of it.

Here's my version of the red knife. It was a promotional item for Cherry Bomb mufflers. I picked it up during my first job in the auto parts aftermarket back 1979-80.
Attachments
Cherry Bomb Promo
Cherry Bomb Promo
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Nice ones Dale ::tu::

Here is a real unusual one.

It is only 2" long closed has nickle silver handles, no back springs, to open/close the blades you flip the little tab on each end.

One blade is thin and sharp scalpel type blade, the other is like a tiny fork :shock: :lol:

Anyone know exactly what this was used for?
I posted this thing on page 5 of this thread 3 years ago! It has taken me this long to find the answer to what the hell it actually is ::uc::

I was surfing the web and researching a totally different item when I seen a picture of that unusual "fork" I followed the links and there it was a Vaccinator Lancet & Comb! Sorry about the poor picture, taken from the web.

Not that anyone cares but for those that do I thought I would post the answer back in this thread.
Attachments
weir`s 2.jpg
a.jpg
b.JPG
AAPK Janitor
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
Miller Bro`s wrote:Nice ones Dale ::tu::

Not that anyone cares but for those that do I thought I would post the answer back in this thread.
Awesome little gadget. If I ever see one I'll know. Thanks Dimitri!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
Miller Bro`s wrote:
Here is a real unusual one.

It is only 2" long closed has nickle silver handles, no back springs, to open/close the blades you flip the little tab on each end.

One blade is thin and sharp scalpel type blade, the other is like a tiny fork :shock: :lol:

Anyone know exactly what this was used for?
I posted this thing on page 5 of this thread 3 years ago! It has taken me this long to find the answer to what the hell it actually is ::uc::

Aint it great when you finally stumble across the answer to a question that has been bugging you for years!Thanks for posting it Dimitri.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

That makes sense MB. When we received our small pox vaccinations back in the day, they repeatedly punctured the surface of our skin with a single pointed sharp object, then rubbed the small pox vaccine onto the wound. Our immune system took care of the rest. We were exposed, then immune to small pox.

So, is it a medical or a veterinarian device?

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thank you Wayne, Ray and Charlie :D
RobesonsRme.com wrote:So, is it a medical or a veterinarian device?
It`s medical ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is another odd one by Novelty Knife Co. no less.

It has pierced and decorated handles that are a brass base with nickle plating, no liners like a conventional pocket knife.

The neat thing about this one is that you can see the spring in operation through the holes in the handles as you are opening and closing the blades also lint and dirt are easy to clean out with a knife like this, just a neat old knife!
Attachments
nov2.JPG
nov5.JPG
AAPK Janitor
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

MB, very interesting and neat knife. Is it the Novelty Cutlery Co. from Canton OH, or from Brooklyn NY? I was just looking it up in Goins, and noticed he listed two companies of the same name.
Dan
Dan
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Dan,

I am pretty sure this knife was made in Germany due to the way "Co. " has a short line under it.

With that said I would go with the import company from N.Y. ::nod::

I have also seen these in a variety of different celluloid handles.
Attachments
nov4.JPG
AAPK Janitor
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

MB - I agree it is an interesting old knife. There is something to be said for easy cleaning, too.
Mel
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Have you ever seen those pendant necklaces made from American silver coins where somebody with a deft hand has removed internal sections of the coin leaving just the profile of Washington or Jefferson, Mercury or FDR's head?

I'm wondering if one could do likewise on an all metal U.S. military utility knife from WWII or later, one that has no brass liners and do scroll or floral motif work such as on Dimitri's knife.

Anyone that set up at a knife show with a table of such knives would do quite well.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Have you ever seen those pendant necklaces made from American silver coins where somebody with a deft hand has removed internal sections of the coin leaving just the profile of Washington or Jefferson, Mercury or FDR's head?

I'm wondering if one could do likewise on an all metal U.S. military utility knife from WWII or later, one that has no brass liners and do scroll or floral motif work such as on Dimitri's knife.

Anyone that set up at a knife show with a table of such knives would do quite well.

Charlie Noyes
Charlie: I believe a lot of those are done using an industrial laser.My ex-brother-in-law used to work for a company back in the 1980's installing industrial lasers that performed work very similar to that.They had a giveaway piece in the form of a key fob with their logo cut away using one of their machines which was made from Monel steel that was so hard a file would just skate across it.If I recall the projected beam was about .003" in diameter.
Laser technology has come a long way since then.Those machines then cost over a hundred thousand dollars and the programs to run them very expensive.
Doing one by hand would be quite labor-intensive and I'm not sure you could keep the price within reason.Nice thought though. ::tu::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Have you ever seen those pendant necklaces made from American silver coins where somebody with a deft hand has removed internal sections of the coin leaving just the profile of Washington or Jefferson, Mercury or FDR's head?
Like this one Charlie?

I found this one several years ago in a jewelry box, got it for next to nothing, I often look at it and marvel at the precise cuts that were made to create it.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
AAPK Janitor
Dull

Post by Dull »

I've never seen one of those cut out coins before. Pretty cool & so delicately worked. I can't imagine doing that by hand...must have been a laser.
A dull blade is indicative of a dull mind.
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

That was probably done way before lazers were invented.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This is the type knife I'm referring to.

Take this knife apart, do the filigree/scroll/floral work, preserving the assembly pin holes, then reassemble.

I suppose time/labor/material costs would exceed selling price point.

Charlie
Attachments
StevensonMil-KB.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”