All About Pocket Knives

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 141  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:38 pm 

Man, oh man. The story of my life. If I don't, I shoulda. If I do, I shouldn't have. ::facepalm::

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:52 pm 

Jerry,
I see them for around $30 here and there. You didnt miss the deal of the year... ::tu::
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 pm 

Thanks Mark. That makes me feel better.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:19 pm 

Remington scout RS 3333.

Stockman

Attachments:
img143.jpg
img143.jpg [ 18.83 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]
Remington RS 3333.jpg
Remington RS 3333.jpg [ 91.96 KiB | Viewed 311 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 pm 

Nice R3 ::tu::

Let`s see it with the other blades open :wink:

AAPK Janitor #3607
Read The Jigged Bone Handles
If It Has A Cutting Edge I Probably Collect It

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:24 pm 

I picked this one up about a month ago........finally got around to cleaning it up a little and getting pics taken. A Robeson 642214 Scout in Strawberry Jigged Delrin.

It's in excellent condition, aside from coming with some patches of discoloration on the bail, a few spots along the backspring area, and a few small spots along the main blade's spine....as well as some handling marks on the blade/tools and bolsters, it looks unused.

Couldn't really tell from the sellers pics if the handles were bone but when I finally got it in hand I could tell they are jigged Delrin. Judging by the tang stamps which read ROBESON/SHUREDGE/U.S.A. in all block letters.....

With the pattern No.# 642214 on the reverse.......

.......the knife appears to be of 1940-1964 production. Did some research and I was able to narrow that down to having likely been made in around 1959-1964 due to the Starwberry colored jigged Delrin scales.

Anyway, the liners and pins are brass, bolsters and shield appear to be nickle/silver.....the one thing I am not sure of is the steel. Aside from small discoloration marks on the spine of the main blade (most of which disappeared with a little Flitz) I can find no rust or peppering. Not sure if this thing is stainless or carbon steel. Blade/tools are polished, doesn't look like it has been sharpened at all and the edge is decently sharp. Fit and finish is real good, backsprings are decently stout and the knife is sans any gaps......

I think I did good on this one as I got it pretty cheap, I think, if my conclusions to how old this thing is are right. If anyone can fill me in more on this particular piece I'd appreciate it.

2xTap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:23 am 

That's a nice example of a 1959 - 1965 Robeson 214 pattern scout/utility.

The blades are probably carbon steel. If they were stainless, the third digit in the pattern number would most likely have been a nine and there would have most likely been an etch on the master spear stating, "RUSTLESS - STAINLESS".

You see that I've left myself open to being wrong without actually being wrong. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
--- H.L. Mencken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:19 am 

Western / Boulder Colo./Made in USA Offical Boy Scouts of America. 4 1/2" blade.
I wanted to know when this knife was born and a approximate value. Scout on strap is
up side down, I flipped it but it would not stay??? Picture of knife should enlarge.

Thank You
Stockman

Attachments:
img144.jpg
img144.jpg [ 341.21 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]
img145.jpg
img145.jpg [ 15.94 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 am 

RobesonsRme.com wrote:

The blades are probably carbon steel. If they were stainless, the third digit in the pattern number would most likely have been a nine and there would have most likely been an etch on the master spear stating, "RUSTLESS - STAINLESS".

You see that I've left myself open to being wrong without actually being wrong. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes

Thanks Charlie, I'm figuring it is carbon given it's age. Not all that up on Robeson history myself, wasn't sure if they marked all their stainless blades on all their patterns. I appreciate the info, either way.

2xTap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:45 am 

2xTap wrote:
RobesonsRme.com wrote:

Charlie Noyes

Thanks Charlie, I'm figuring it is carbon given it's age. Not all that up on Robeson history myself, wasn't sure if they marked all their stainless blades on all their patterns. I appreciate the info, either way.

2xTap

Not running your knife down. It's a beautiful piece and I wouldn't mind having one just like it, but (IMO) the pits in the blade are also a tell.

Attachments:
robesonscoutknife04.jpg
robesonscoutknife04.jpg [ 69.96 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

--T.J. Murphy 2012

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:21 pm 

Jerry,

I was looking at those when I was cleaning up the knife. But I got the impression they were there before the knife was built. Likely before the blade was blanked. Could of been caused by something during the manufacture of the sheet steel or after that caused the pits. The pits appear slightly polished out and they go down past the liners......and it's only on this one side of the mainblade, and no other blade/tools have these. And I found no orange rust in this area.

So I am thinking what ever caused the pits happened before production.....and most stainless steels will rust so I don't get suspicious unless I see a level of patina forming. And what little discoloration there was on the blade came off readily with a little hand rubbed Flitz. But I am no expert, and given it's age I'm leaning at the likelihood of it being carbon steel.

2xTap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:24 pm 

I see what you mean. You would think, in other times, Case Quality Control would have rejected this blade but with the Chinese nipping at their heals maybe they have no choice these days. ::shrug::

Image AGAIN ::facepalm::

That's me. Not the rest of y'all.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:15 pm 

::tu:: great knives guys
one more for this thread a R4373 girl scout knife

Attachments:
P1020101.JPG
P1020101.JPG [ 162.63 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]
P1020099.JPG
P1020099.JPG [ 163.83 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:45 pm 

Bought this "Official BSA" Boy Scout pocketknife today at a local Pawn & Gun. This is the way I remember them looking when I was a Boy Scout (in the 1960's) This one was made by Ulster USA and is in right decent shape, only a small chip broken off the tip of the leather punch which I've already re-contoured on an Arkansas stone.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:55 pm 

You did well, OH.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 141  Next