Terrier Cutlery Company

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
cattaraugus57

Re: Terrier Cutlery Company

Post by cattaraugus57 »

::dang:: Charlie,yeah I like the flat blosters in particular,
very well made knife too,very solid.
too bad this one was abused
But I just couldn't walk away from it...for $1.00...

I may re shape the blade and make something from the short one
then carry it.
"whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

This nice Terrier whittler showed up on Ebay this week.

Seller stated it was just over 3" in length.

The master clip blade is etched, "TERRIER BRAND".

The handles are nicely jigged. There are at least two small cracks at the pins on the front side.

There are a few spiders on the blades.

Remember, these Terrier knives were made and marketed by The Robeson Cutlery Company between 1910 and 1916. They are all between 96 and 102 years of age +/-.

I put what I thought was a sure-thing bid on this little knife.......and lost it. ::facepalm::

This knife sold for $280.50.

Oh well.

The photos will expand a bit with a left click.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
TerrierWhittler1$280.50.jpg
TerrierWhittler2.jpg
TerrierWhittler3.jpg
TerrierWhittler4.jpg
TerrierWhittler5.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

That is a beautiful knife.
RobesonsRme.com

While I was losing the 3" brown bone whittler above, I was winning this little 2 7/8" pearl handled Terrier whittler, made 1910 - 1916 by The Robeson Cutlery Company.

Pattern number 267 / 732. That would be 732267 if the knife was stamped Robeson, instead of Terrier.

All three blades are stamped the same. There is a terrier's head on the back of the master.

The brass liners are nicely coined.

There are no chips, cracks or flakes in the pearl, although there is a small natural inclusion in the front handle next to the rocker pin.

There are a few spiders here and there, but the knife retains most of its original lustre.

Sweet, I think. ::tu::

Still wish I'd gotten that other one, though. ::facepalm::

Pics will expand w a left click.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
TerrierPearlWhittler2.JPG
TerrierPearlWhittler1.JPG
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Charlie,

Both of those knives are beautiful.... Although I would choose the 1st one over the second mainly due to the quality or IMO excellent jigging, however both are winners, Glad you got one of them. I've never seen one before ::tu:: BH
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Charlie, great knives and I am sorry you missed the etched one! Remember there will be more knives coming along, Mike
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Charlie, I'm glad you brought this thread back up, this is all new knowledge for me - thanks - and enjoy your "new" Terrier!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
PA Knives
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by PA Knives »

I wanted to revive this thread due to the latest find I was lucky to obtain. This is a steel liner, steel bolster Terrier Cutlery. Charlie was kind enough to explain the tang stamp number system to me. I was hoping it was a little more valuable than it appears to be, but hey it was neat to find an old knife in a tool box located in a barn in South Carolina. So as always the hunt was more than half the fun. Click to enlarge. The other is a pen knife I purchased last fall in NY state at an antique mall. Kind pretty I thought. But I like finding them, selling moving on to the next treasure hunt

Thanks Charlie, hopefully the next will be keepers.
Attachments
Terrier Cutlery Dog Leg 1.jpeg
Terrier Cutlery Dog Leg 2.jpeg
Terrier Cutlery Dog Leg 3.jpeg
Terrier Cutlery.JPG
Multiple Contributions to Knife Magazine ,
Author of "Great Eastern Cutlery: An American Tradition, the History of the Northfield & Tidioute Brands" & "Tidioute: A Town With an Edge"
RobesonsRme.com

Both of those are sweeeet. But, you just gotta love that hefty handful of dogleg jack.
Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I have owned a number of good Robeson knives and razors but very few Terrier's. They are hard to come by and in my experience the best of quality.

Here are some certificates and stamps from both Robeson and Terrier for factory razor honing. Total value of $1 for each certificate to be redeemed $.25 at a time. Hard to imagine many of these actually got used but there is one of the Terrier stamps missing. I wonder how long you would have to go without a shave before you got your razor back? Mamma might not like you if you get too stubbly.

Has anyone seen these before?

Some awesome posts here! Thanks for sharing!
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
wlf

Post by wlf »

Interesting post btr.I would say those are rare.

David,nice finds.That dogleg is a neat pattern.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com

I've seen the warranties and honing coupons from Robeson, but I don't think I've ever seen one from Terrier.

If you look at boxed Robeson razors on Ebay regularly, like once a week, you will eventually see a razor, box and certificates all still together.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

I'm going to post this here just to keep the thread alive and to keep from creating a new one about a single knife.

This Terrier Cutlery Co. ebony handled jumbo sleeveboard whittler sold on Ebay this morning.

It's a very nice and rare knife. There is a handle crack on the back side, but not terribly distractive.

Remember, Robeson produced the Terrier line only from 1910 until 1916, so this knife for certain sure will be one hundred years old some time next year, if it hasn't already surpassed that age.

I suppose it could be a hundred and five already.

I did try to buy the knife, but dropped out at $375.00. ::facepalm::

It sold to someone with over twelve thousand Ebay transactions for $467 and change. ::hmm::

These photos will expand x 2 with a couple of left clicks.

Charlie Noyes
Attachments
Terrier Jumbo Whittler 1.jpg
Terrier Jumbo Whittler 2.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

WOW!!!
What a knife!!!
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Charlie that's an amazing knife. I will most likely never own one if for no other reason that the cost, but I sure do like the way that one looks. Sorry it didn't work out for you to add it to your collection.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
wlf

Post by wlf »

I love those jumbo sleeveboard whittlers Charlie,and that is a very nice one.Wish you had got it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
RobesonsRme.com

I would have loved to have gotten that one.

First Terrier jumbo whittler I've ever seen.

I just couldn't afford to go any higher.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

The same seller of the Terrier had an etched Blish, Mize & Sillman 4 1/8'' jack knife that also sold very well ($565).Both were very nice knives.
Roger
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Feeling your pain Charlie - all too often I have found a missing pattern number in my LF&C collection on eBay and my high bid isn't quite enough. I find it sometimes takes days for me to get the thought out of my head but eventually we move on to another pursuit.

One trick that I use to get over a lost auction is to keep a picture of the knife as a "placeholder" in my collection with the idea that I'll find another one (or maybe the same one) at some point down the road. Other than that ..... I feel your pain.

Tom
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
RobesonsRme.com

BestGear wrote: "One trick that I use to get over a lost auction is to keep a picture of the knife as a "placeholder" in my collection with the idea that I'll find another one (or maybe the same one) at some point down the road."

And that's exactly what I do. I snip Ebay photos almost every day.

I posted a little while back re' a mint condition Robeson electrician's EO jack that I had just gotten off Ebay.

It turned out it was the same knife upon which I had been outbid on Ebay a couple of years earlier.

I bought it from the winner of that auction for less than my losing bid.

Maybe that Terrier will come around again some day.......

Not holding my breath or marching in place waiting for that to happen, however.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Man Charlie, I am sorry that you missed that one! She is a beauty. High bidder with all those transactions WOW!!
RobesonsRme.com

And then there's this one.

Listed on Ebay, but with a high reserve.

It's a bit scratched up.

Last I looked, reserve still not met.

I saved the photos for posterity.

Charlie
Attachments
Terrier Etched Jack 1.jpg
Terrier Etched Jack 2.jpg
Terrier Etched Jack 3.jpg
Terrier Etched Jack 4.jpg
Terrier Etched Jack 5.jpg
Terrier Etched Jack 6.jpg
Terrier Etched Jack 7.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

Sometimes, things do work out.

That bone handled Terrier equal-end whittler posted above is now on its way to me.

The getleman that outbid me on the knife has graciously made a trade with me for a Robeson knife.

I'm going to repost the photos, which are from the original auction.

Very nice knife and I'm very pleased to have been offered the opportunity to acquire it.

Charlie
Attachments
TerrierWhittler1$280.50.jpg
TerrierWhittler2.jpg
TerrierWhittler3.jpg
TerrierWhittler4.jpg
TerrierWhittler5.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..love that pattern,charlie!!!..nice knife!!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: .........
trutemper

Post by trutemper »

Thanks for the thread Charlie, have always felt that Robeson/Terrier knives are some of the best made knives for it`s day and age and of course their jigging patterns and that strawberry bone handle ....well to me those are the prettiest bone handles ever made. Love seeing your photos and especially that English Jack. Just georgious!

Bob

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”