About a decent Bushcraft/Outdoor knife for less than $100.00

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Captain O

About a decent Bushcraft/Outdoor knife for less than $100.00

Post by Captain O »

I have been looking at a few different makers, Chinese and American. (Schrade/Smith & Wesson/Taylor and Kabar's Becker line). I have been considering a 1095 CroVan (or just 1095 Carbon Steel). A 5.5" blade that is a minimum of .20" (1/5 inch) for blade thickness seems appropriate for serious work while walking bout the nearby woods. I have a Kabar USN Mark 1 Deck Knife but want to look into something that can take a bit more vigorous use/abuse than my beloved skinning tool.

Any suggestions?
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: About a decent Bushcraft/Outdoor knife for less than $100.00

Post by Dinadan »

Just what do you mean by "serious work"? If you intend to chop stuff I wound use a machete.
Mel
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Cap when I read your thread, Ontario Knife comes to mind

Monte
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

MORA Companion.

CONDOR BUSHCRAFT

BUCK 692 Vanguard (I'm actually selling this on ebay right now.....I had too many knives).

Used 'em all!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Check out this ESEE 4. I've got one and really like it for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/ESEE-Coyote-Mold ... esee+knive
Attachments
ESEE 4.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Ontario has a line of knives called Spec-Plus that come in various sizes and are all under $100. I have a Spec Plus Marine Raider that is a bit bigger than what you are looking for(10" blade)but is a massive knife that feels very comfortable in the hand.They have an SP-2 which might fit your needs.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

A good hatchet and a Buck 105/121/118/102. Capisce?
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

There are several videos on the 'net about how to turn a $12 Ontario kitchen knife into a first rate bushcraft knife. There is also at least one video of the finished product being put through its paces, pretty impressive. You will have more time and money invested in the sheath-there are also instructions for that.
Bruce
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Berryb wrote:There are several videos on the 'net about how to turn a $12 Ontario kitchen knife into a first rate bushcraft knife. There is also at least one video of the finished product being put through its paces, pretty impressive. You will have more time and money invested in the sheath-there are also instructions for that.
Bruce

Great point Bruce!! ::nod:: ::tu::
SCOTT

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Cpt.O I'd like to suggest you take a look at the Becker knives manufactured by KaBar. These are exceptionally rugged and come in different blade lengths and patterns. They have a strong following and are worth investigating.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Any old Western fixed blade. Pick your model and size. No muss no fuss.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Since I already have a Kabar USN Mark 1 Deck Knife, perhaps all I really need is a hatchet. ::shrug::
mikek

Post by mikek »

Esee 4 HM (handle mod) is a good choice in 1095
IMG_20160807_181204586.jpg
LT Wright Bushcraft HC in 1075

Both knives feel very good in the hand and are about $100.00 a peace with sheaths. Your last post was a good one "perhaps all I really need is a hatchet"
Attachments
IMG_20160807_181300925.jpg
I pay extra for patina
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I forgot to mention that I have a Cold Steel GI Tanto that I picked up two years ago. After what's been said here, I appreciate the responses. After quite a bit of thought, I do believe that I have it covered. ::nod:: ::tu::
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Colonel26 wrote:Any old Western fixed blade. Pick your model and size. No muss no fuss.
I agree Wade...an L66
Attachments
IMG_8313.JPG
SCOTT

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

How about enlightenin' me as to what makes a "bushcraft" knife, not tryin' to be smart-alecky, just realized I'm not in the loop on this type knife. Is it just a modern term for a suitable belt knife? ::shrug::
Rather than Google this I am interested in what real knife folks think. ::nod:: Thanks!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
mikek

Post by mikek »

Treefarmer, that's a good definition "a suitable belt knife"
The bushcraft fad has really taken off in the last several years due to all the the "survival" shows on cable TV.
Bushcraft, survival and hunting knives all do the same jobs. To me any knife you take camping can be called a Bushcraft knife. Mike
I pay extra for patina
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Then you think about it, what makes a "bushcraft knife" is a well-tempered, high-carbon steel, well ground knife that is tough enough to withstand batoning without cracking. After such brutal use, the knife should still be useful for other camping chores such as cutting food and freshly-snared game or caught fish. ::nod::

Make sense?
truck

Post by truck »

Quick Steel wrote:Cpt.O I'd like to suggest you take a look at the Becker knives manufactured by KaBar. These are exceptionally rugged and come in different blade lengths and patterns. They have a strong following and are worth investigating.
This. The BK-2 sounds perfect for what you want.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

I know this sounds crazy but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I use a humongous Old Hickory kitchen butcher knife, You can get the largest size on line for twenty bucks, so if you break it mistreating it using it for batoning and such you ain't out much.. But you can't break it, they are pretty tough. Well if you started throwing it you might.
It has a full whopping 14 inches of blade and about 18inches overall, its HUGE. Best dang thing I ever took with me for bushcraft stuff. Its like a combo knife, axe, machete. You can chop brush and cane without even stooping over and the heavy weight slices through small stuff with one whap,
Lots of people use them for this on other forums and reshape them into all kinds of knives . Tons of you tube vids on this. I never did as I really enjoy the force that extra mass carries.
I don't go camping without the thing as its all around freakin brutal for lack of a better word.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Cowdiddly:
I. for one do not think you sound crazy at all. As a fact I happen to use a big A.J Jordan for my campknife. A buddy of mine has been gathering old butcher and chef patterns an is making sheaths for them. Sheath and knife say a 10 inch chef will sell for a bit over $50 plus delivery.
moss
IMG_2075.JPG
My Camp Butcher 14" blade 20 inches overall. No it is not for sale.
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Cowdiddly

Post by Cowdiddly »

Moss, That's what I'm talkin bout
Beauutiful example of an old 6 pin and without a belly in the blade too from decades of rackin on a steel. NICE find,

Need a space cleared for the tent? Done. Want a ridge pole, a tripod or a tent stake chopped out? No problem. Batten some "kitchen" wood or slice some camp meat? I got it.
Can even stir the pot of beans or flip an egg in a pinch,

But, the absolutely best part is the camp cookie don't hear near as much grumbling and complaining when you burn the bottom of the bannock bread in the dutch oven from the cowpokes, They just start eatin and shut up when your swingin one of these bad boys around.
And you don't hear no wisecracks about the flower pattern apron your wearin either. ::nod::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Cowdiddly wrote:Moss, That's what I'm talkin bout
Beauutiful example of an old 6 pin and without a belly in the blade too from decades of rackin on a steel. NICE find,

Need a space cleared for the tent? Done. Want a ridge pole, a tripod or a tent stake chopped out? No problem. Batten some "kitchen" wood or slice some camp meat? I got it.
Can even stir the pot of beans or flip an egg in a pinch,

But, the absolutely best part is the camp cookie don't hear near as much grumbling and complaining when you burn the bottom of the bannock bread in the dutch oven from the cowpokes, They just start eatin and shut up when your swingin one of these bad boys around.
And you don't hear no wisecracks about the flower pattern apron your wearin either. ::nod::

Lol ::tu::

The shape of that blade on the end looks an awful lot like the original Nessmuk knife. In his writings George Sears said that his knife was thin so that it would slice well, and that the end shape worked for skinning game or could be used as a spoon (stirring beans and flipping eggs etc,,,).

Sears said that he carried his fixed blade (Nessmuk) a camp ax, and a moose pattern pocket knife. He said that was the best combination he'd found. I find that logic hard to disagree with.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC02902.JPG
L.T. Wright Bushcrafter HC.. 75.00 no sheath.. 105.00 with sheath.. It is a great knife and feels good in hand... John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Moss - I like that 14" butcher knife! If I were using it for chopping very much I would want to modify the handle so as to give a more positive grip. I have had a machete come out of my hand a few times and it is a scary feeling when it is free, and a big sigh of relief when it lands without hitting me.

For a smaller size machete I like the Condor Jungle Saber. It has an 18" blade, very hard steel. I have to use a stone to sharpen it because a file just will not cut it. Mine came with a good sheath for around $50 dollars.
Condor is the smaller machete.
Condor is the smaller machete.
But the right tool really depends on the task. For serious cutting like making a trail or survey line I like a 24" machete, or even a bush ax. But I live in an area which tends to have dense undergrowth. For just poking around the woods doing recon I like the lighter 18" Condor, and it is plenty good enough for getting firewood and making camp.
Mel

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”