Unmarked knives..............

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
knife7knut

Unmarked knives..............

Post by knife7knut »

Over the course of time I have managed to acquire a fair number of knives (both hand made and factory) that bear no evidence of who created them. Their quality ranges from,"what were they thinking of?" to ,"why didn't they put their name on it?" and everything in-between. Although I have several folding knives in this category I will keep this post to strictly fixed blades and what I know about them.
Pictures one and two show what I like to refer to as a home made Twin Finn.The small knife is one of those common miniature bowies that were so popular in the 1950's and the main knife is actually quite well made as is the sheath.Looks to have been made quite awhile ago as the leather is in poor shape. Bought it at a flea market for under $10.
Picture 3 is a very nicely made small hunter with an unusually shaped blade(almost a mini Woodcraft)that features a tapered tang;a high polish;and nicely fitted wood handles. It had no edge on it when I got it and it took a considerable amount of work to get an edge on it;indicating the blade hardness is pretty high.
Photo 4 looks like a Utica hunter with a half guard.It may have been etched on the blade but over time has eroded.
Photo 5 is reminiscent of the old Rigid fixed blades made in the 1970's but the build quality isn't quite up to their quality. I don't think it is Pakistani or Indian but it is possible.
Photo 6 is a hand made knife that was given to me by my next door neighbor who said a fellow workmate made it many years ago.Wish he could remember his name as it is a nicely made knife.
Photo 7 is an unmarked floating fish knife with cork handles that was probably made in Italy by either CEM Maniago or Lunawerk.
Photo 8 is a rather crude small hunter with aluminum and leather spacers for a handle.
Photo 9 is another hand made with multicolored plastic spacers for a handle.
Photo 10 is another one with a very slim profile blade and red plastic handles that came from a seller in Texas.
Attachments
HandmadeTwinFinn12 001.jpg
HandmadeTwinFinn12 002.jpg
UnfinishedCustom1.jpg
UnmarkedFixedBlade1 001.jpg
UnmarkedFixedBlade1 004.jpg
UnmarkedFixedBladePaulPatten.jpg
UnmarkedFloater.jpg
UnmarkedHandmade1.jpg
UnmarkedHunter1.jpg
UnmarkedHunter2.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Unmarked knives..............

Post by Miller Bro's »

Photo 4 looks like a Utica hunter with a half guard.It may have been etched on the blade but over time has eroded.
That's exactly what it is, the etch was very light on these. I have one in the original packaging and it looks like it will rub off easily certainly it would not stand the test of time.
AAPK Janitor
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Thanks for verifying that Dimitri;I thought it was but couldn't be 100% sure.
Here are a few more for your viewing pleasure:
Picture 1 is an ivory handled double edged dagger.Crack has been stabilized.
Picture 2 is a large double edged dagger stamped LJM on the tang.Handle is red-brown Micarta and aluminum discs held on with a large Allen bolt in the end. Came out of a huge collection of military knives a friend of mine purchased many years ago.
Picture 3 is an even larger double edged knife(more like a short sword)out of the same collection with brass and aluminum spacers again held on with an Allen bolt.Possibly made by the same person.
Picture 4 is a 6" blade hunter with a really nice piece of what looks like reindeer stag for a handle.
Picture 5 is a pair of what I believe are knives made in the Middle East. They have these multi-colored stone handles(maybe plastic)and they both feature a cone shaped piece of metal at the tang that is part of the blade.
Picture 6 is a small dagger made from a Nicholson file with a red plexiglass handle.
Picture 7 is a hand made knife with a sheath made of the same wood as the handle that has a belt loop built in.
Picture 8 is one of the crudest knives I have ever seen. Made out of 5/16ths stock it is marked RUTH with a date and a pair of crossed eyes.One of the heaviest knives I own.
Picture 9 & 10 are two so-called "theater" knives. The aluminum handled one I got from someone whose uncle was is the Hungarian uprising in 1956 and barely got out alive. He made it in Hungary. The second I bought on e-Bay with no info.It has a sheath.
Attachments
3newbies5.jpg
LJM2.jpg
MysteryBlade005.JPG
MysteryBlade008.JPG
MysteryKnives.JPG
NicholsonFileLetterOpener1.JPG
Picture 078.jpg
Ruth099 2.jpg
Theatre1.jpg
Theatre2.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Last ones for now:
Picture 1 is a very long and very thin hunting knife with a multi-colored plexiglass handle.
Picture 2 is another strange one:triple fullers on the blade that has a bottle opener AND a screwdriver built into the tip. The strange inlay on the handle is 3 pieces of metal sunk into the handle. Have no idea of it's meaning.
Picture 3 is a very plain wood handled knife that is scary sharp and surprisingly well balanced.
Picture 4 is a very strangely shaped blade and guard made as one piece with a carving set handle.
Picture 5 is my newest one:an unmarked(except for an engraving on the tang)dagger made of brass with a tapered tang and ivory handles.
Picture 6 is an unmarked kris dagger with a handle made of buffalo horn decorated with dots of aluminum.Possibly from the Philippines.
Picture 7 is an old double edged dagger with a checkered wood handle;copper guard and scary sharp.This also came out of the aforementioned military collection.
Picture 8 is a tri edged dagger with a red-brown Micarta handle machined to avoid slipping. I thought at first it was made from a file but it is not. Looks like an assassin's dagger. Another one from the collection.
Picture 9 is a Taiwanese made "Survival" knife with all the usual goodies in the handle and a sheath that converts into a slingshot! Paid $2 for it at the flea market just because it is so hokey.
Last is a VERY old and possibly hand made butcher knife that is odd because the sharp edge is the straight side rather than the one with the choil. Not sure what the handle wood is but it is very light;almost like balsa.
And there you have my collection of unmarked(and undermarked)knives. Hope you enjoy them.
Attachments
Theatre095.jpg
Theatre096.jpg
Theatre097.jpg
Theatre098.jpg
UnmarkedCustomBrassDaggerIvoryScales-25 001.jpg
UnmarkedKrisDagger1.jpg
UnmarkedOldBootDagger1.jpg
UnmarkedTaiwanSurvivalKnife-2.00 004.jpg
UnmarkedTriEdgeDagger1.jpg
UnmarkedUnusuallyShapedButcherKnife-5.00 001.jpg