American Cutlery Co Stag Bowie

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

American Cutlery Co Stag Bowie

Post by JohnR »

Picked up this Bowie made by the American Cutlery Co. The makers stamp includes a Keystone with 1865 in the center which is when the company started. Looks like they were located in Chicago and went out of business in the early 1920's.
This knife has beautiful stag handles, heavy construction with a very solid feel, around 11" total length, 6 1/4 blade. Has suffered some blade loss and scratches from sharpening.
Anyone have more information on this knife and company, seems they were mainly a kitchen and eating utensil manufacturer and not much is out there on their pocketknives and fixed blades.
Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_6386.jpg
IMG_6387.jpg
IMG_6388.jpg
IMG_6393.jpg
IMG_6395.jpg
FRJ

Re: American Cutlery Co Stag Bowie

Post by FRJ »

Great knife, John. ::tu::

I found this in Goins.
Attachments
DSCN3821.JPG
DSCN3825.JPG
Joe
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Thank you Joe for the information, not a lot out there on the company, I wonder if they got out of the pocket knife and and Bowie/hunting knife manufacturing around 1900 which may explain why so little information is out there. Apparently the pocket knives are very collectible. Don't know about the fixed blades as there appear to be very few examples, I did find a reference to them making a WW1 trench knife but few are known to exist.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JohnR wrote:Thank you Joe for the information, not a lot out there on the company, I wonder if they got out of the pocket knife and and Bowie/hunting knife manufacturing around 1900 which may explain why so little information is out there. Apparently the pocket knives are very collectible. Don't know about the fixed blades as there appear to be very few examples, I did find a reference to them making a WW1 trench knife but few are known to exist.
What a beautiful knife! Thanks for showing it. I am pretty fuzzy at dating such items but it looks very 1890-1910 to me. ::tu::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Great knife, love the stag handles ::tu::
AAPK Janitor

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”