Ruined knife

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Ruined knife

Post by JACK OF ALL TIRADES »

I don't think I made it worse from being in the sheath for God knows how long. My rust treatment turned it like a gun blue, but at least the solid rust is gone.
Attachments
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ruined knife

Post by Miller Bro's »

Steel wool will take the residue off from the rust remover ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Even with the extra fine 0000 steel wool the blade still ends up covered by small scratches. Do you then go to a very fine sandpaper, and if so what grit ? and dry or wet ?
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Even with the extra fine 0000 steel wool the blade still ends up covered by small scratches. Do you then go to a very fine sandpaper, and if so what grit ? and dry or wet ?
kj
If I am doing heavy scratch removal I usually start out with 220 grit wet or dry paper dry and I always try and sand perpendicular to the scratches.When I have removed them,I will usually use the same paper coated with a film of oil and not use as much pressure.If I'm going for a real high polish I will finish up with 400 grit wet(with oil)and then polish with Mother's Mag Wheel Polish.When sanding wet,it is necessary to clean off the paper frequently to avoid having particles scratch the surface.
Occasionally I will use a buffing wheel with very light pressure and a lot of the proper polish.I hesitate to recommend this because buffing a knife is a VERY dangerous job.It is way too easy to get a blade caught in a wheel that is spinning at over 3000 rpm and it can happen in an instant. I have had them catch and launch the knife at my feet at a very high rate of speed.I have also had them fold up suddenly;fortunately not all the way.I have also suffered burns;not only from the hot blades but by hitting my fingers against the wheel.Fortunately I heal well. :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks k7k. I will try this dry then wet sanding regime. Sanding perpendicular to scratches is not what i was doing and i think might be a key to good results.
kj
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

I was wondering if you guys saw the German marks and if the stocks are stag. I think this was a semi valuable blade before its ruination. I will fix her up.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The pictures are not in focus so tang markings cannot be seen. Even the handle is not shown well but most likely is Stag as this is the most common handle material on older German fixed blades. I doubt it is of high value as the Stag handled German fixed blades are very common.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The tang stamp is P.I.C./SOLINGEN/GERMANY.
I don't find that listed in Goins. There were lots of knives of that style that were imported after WWII.
I believe it is Levine that mentions a number of GIs went back to Germany after the war and began importing knives to the US.
I believe Fred Mac Overland was one. Goins dates the Overland Solingen knives as circa 1951-1953.
The Overland knives look a lot the OP knife. Decent quality knives, but not particularly valuable.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

orvet wrote:The tang stamp is P.I.C./SOLINGEN/GERMANY.
I don't find that listed in Goins. There were lots of knives of that style that were imported after WWII.
I believe it is Levine that mentions a number of GIs went back to Germany after the war and began importing knives to the US.
I believe Fred Mac Overland was one. Goins dates the Overland Solingen knives as circa 1951-1953.
Dale: I believe that is the mark for Pacific International Cutlery. I used to see that mark a lot in the 1970's and 80's and most of the knives were of decent quality.
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

I think the "P" in P.I.C. may be for "Precise".
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Case V42 wrote:I think the "P" in P.I.C. may be for "Precise".
I think you may be correct;sorry for the error. :oops:
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Thanks for the info, I started cleaning her up but will leave as is and make a kydex sheath for better handling and because the leather is torn in spots. Note the tang stamp, a little mountain and a pick.
Attachments
IMG_0033.JPG
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I think you will find the handle is plastic, made to look like stag. Zillions of these knives around. I keep one as a fast can opener in my kitchen.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The P.I.C. ("Precise") knives i have seen have all been Stag handled knives and of good quality, not the low end of Solingen knives. Some i believe were made by Ant. Wingen Jr. but that is just my best guess, not an established fact. If not a Wingen, then similar quality.
Can you post a 'real' picture of the knife handle. By "real" i mean one in focus that actually looks like the knife itself.
kj
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Hope this looks better
Attachments
IMG_0038.JPG
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

It's plastic.
AAPK Janitor
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

It sure is plastic, from Precise International Corporation NY
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Plastic ? i am surprised. All the P.I.C. knives i have seen have had a one piece Stag handle.
kj
JACK OF ALL TIRADES

Its one piece plastic :D I heated a tiny screwdriver and touched the handle. It had a plastic smell and melted :|
mansolingen

Post by mansolingen »

Can find some made in the 50's and up into the seventies, and maybe even later. Are of not much value. There are some more elaborate models out that fetch a better price. But In my opinion they are on the lower end of a collectors items.
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

A lot of these early PIC (Precise International Co.) were made by Linder in Germany. I believe that Linder also made some of the Puma fixed blades and are very good quality.

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”