What make it a Bowie?

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

What make it a Bowie?

Post by ken98k »

Obviously a Bowie can be used as a hunting knife but, when does a hunting knife become a Bowie?
Is it blade length or blade shape? Or is it a combination of the two? ::shrug::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What make it a Bowie?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Once again, the confoundry of knife history rears it's ugly head. Read this and make up your own mind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_knife
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A good question and one that has been asked since the word came into the English language. I would start with the more or less accepted definition of a clip point blade of at least 9.5 inches and a thickness of .250 inches.Added features would include a straight spine and a sharpened false edge of at least two inches long. From there it is all downhill(or uphill depending on your perspective) from there. Add a cross guard;stag scales(or wood or silver or gold);maybe a brass back and you're in business. A bit of an oversimplification perhaps.
We then introduce the so-called,"spear point" bowie;or is it a bowie? According to the accepted definition it is not;but then again it isn't an Arkansas Toothpick either if you take that definition literally. Most knives I have seen described as such have straight double edges coning to a needle point.
Is it a hunting knife? In the true sense of the word most ANY knife can be considered a,"hunting" knife if that is what it is used for. I remember reading a story of a hunter who used nothing but a Remington Bullet trapper to skin out everything he hunted.
Would a spear point be considered a fighting knife? Again that could apply to any knife.
In the end I guess it is a matter of semantics;call it a bowie if you like. Here are some examples of what has passed for bowie knives in the past;you decide if the description fits.
First is a representation of what is supposedly one of Jim Bowie's original knives. The knife it was copied from is owned by a gentleman named Bart Moore and supposedly it has documentation to prove it.
Second is another,"interpretation" of a Bowie by Carvel Hall with all the bells and whistles. ::shrug::
Third is a Chinese(I think)made copy of a Rambo Bowie.
Fourth is a picture of five "Bowie" knives. The top knife is a Rodgers spear point blade(9")from about 1880. Next is a 1950's era German made one by F.A. Bower. Third is a Fred James horsehead bowie made in the 1960's.Fred actually worked as a cutler for Wostenholm at one time.Fourth is a newly made knife by Silver Stag.Fifth is a massive bowie made of cable Damascus for Colt(probably China or Pakistan).
Fifth up is a series of four Bowies(actually 3;the bottom one is a Hubertus hunting dagger);two by R.J.Richter and one by Voos;all made in Germany in the 1960's or so.
Sixth may or may not be a bowie:it is a huge butcher style knife by Joseph Elliot with a handle made of rings of different types of wood alternating with brass spacers.Thought i'd throw that in to further confuse the issue. :mrgreen:
Seventh and eighth are two handmade knives that came out of the same collection.One is stamped "L.J.M." and features a machined fuller down the middle of the blade and handle of Micarta and aluminum spacers with a cast aluminum guard and pommel held together with an Allen bolt. The second is even larger and unmarked with aluminum and brass handle spacers,guard,and pommel.Both are scary sharp.
Ninth is a new Ontario OSP-10 bowie with black finish.
Last is a knife designed by Tak Fukuta and produced by Parker(I believe).
Enjoy looking and decide what is what.
Attachments
BartMooreBowie099.jpg
CarvelHallBowie.jpg
ChinaBowie1.jpg
FiveBowies1.jpg
FourBowies1.jpg
JosElliott2.jpg
LJM1.jpg
MysteryBlade005.JPG
OSP1.jpg
TakFukuta1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So what are you saying Ray? Any huge fixed blade you want to call a Bowie, is a Bowie???? :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
leggo

Post by leggo »

So would this be a bowie knife ? Made by Linder , Solingen Germany . ::hmm::
Attachments
20160409_155411_resized[1].jpg
20160409_155528_resized[1].jpg
20160409_155427_resized[1].jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

jerryd6818 wrote:So what are you saying Ray? Any huge fixed blade you want to call a Bowie, is a Bowie???? :lol:
Well Jerry if it fits the general idea of what a bowie is defined as in the Wikipedia article I suppose you could.I would classify the knife pictured as a "bowie hunter".Of the knives I pictured only three of them could actually be classified as a true Bowie,"style" knife:The Fred James horsehead;the Colt,and the Ontario SP-10. Not even the vintage Rodgers knife could be termed a true Bowie because it is a spear point.The others;although correctly shaped,are either not thick enough or wide enough to meet the cut(pun intended). :mrgreen:
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's a picture of a "Bowie" knife that is in the Alamo museum. The knife is claimed to have belonged to Jesse Robinson, who fought under command of James Bowie in several battles for Texas independence. The guy holding the knife is British rocker Phil Collins who recently donated the knife, along with his extensive collection of Alamo memorabilia (valued at $15 million) to the state of Texas.

Note the knife's large size, the brass top on the blade, and the guard design - features not typical of a "hunting" knife.

http://www.expressnews.com/150years/lea ... 062689.php

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
wlf

Post by wlf »

Thanks Ken.

I see the Disney connection now. My son loved his Disney songs, and I do too. I like his music altogether. I'm really glad he's done this.

I wasn't allowed to read your link Ken,here's another,interesting read :

http://www.history.com/news/phil-collin ... -the-alamo

100 million to build the museum just to house his artifacts and he gets to be an Honorary Texan ?? Sounds expensive and cheap. :)
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

In the immortal words of Crocodile Dundee "Now that's a knife".
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It would appear that the definition is so diluted by now that it only has meaning within the context of our own preference. Bernard Levine has a definition that is very narrow and anything without would produce a serious sneer from him (which he is a master at). Some serious study by some very creditable sources have suggested that the "original" bowie carried and used in the sandbar fight by the man himself was most likely very close to a large (what we would call) butcher knife and bore little rememblance to anything attached to the term since that day. Meanwhile, on Ebay, the term (and also "fighting knife") refers to anything from a horse apple to a dump truck.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

tongueriver wrote:It would appear that the definition is so diluted by now that it only has meaning within the context of our own preference. Bernard Levine has a definition that is very narrow and anything without would produce a serious sneer from him (which he is a master at). Some serious study by some very creditable sources have suggested that the "original" bowie carried and used in the sandbar fight by the man himself was most likely very close to a large (what we would call) butcher knife and bore little resemblance to anything attached to the term since that day. Meanwhile, on Ebay, the term (and also "fighting knife") refers to anything from a horse apple to a dump truck.
Truer words are rarely spoken. I particularly enjoy your,"fighting knife" analogy;I may have to use that at some point in time(with your permission of course). I would also agree that BRL seems to take great pleasure in "honing his snide" to the nth degree.
Whatever the original source and design of the knife we call the bowie. no one can deny that it has definitely been an interesting journey viv-a-vis all the great(and sometimes not-so-great)interpretations.I guess we could call James and Rezin Bowie the Jim Parker of their day.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

One thing I have learned since getting into knife collecting- a knife "is" what the maker says it is. Aren't there folding "Bowies" out there, maybe made by Parker?

Glad to read Phil Collins is making reparations for Ozzy's treatment of our National landmark. Or at least what Ozzy is rumored to have done to the Alamo. ::facepalm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Thanks for all your replies.
It seems the classic definition (large heavy wide blade w/clip point and cross guard) has morphed into something quite different over the last hundred years. As hand guns have improved greatly since the days of the single shot, muzzle loading flintlock, the need for a mondo sized knife has diminished. While classic style Bowies are still available, it appears the most common pattern to use the Bowie name seems to be the general size and shape of a WWII Kabar.
Here are my "Bowies"
Bowie 1.jpg
Bowie 2.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice ones, Ken. I like that bottom smooth bone in the first picture. ::tu::
Joe
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

FRJ wrote:Nice ones, Ken. I like that bottom smooth bone in the first picture. ::tu::
The Kabar at the top of the 1st photo is my favorite.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

::tu::
Joe
leggo

Post by leggo »

gsmith7158 wrote:In the immortal words of Crocodile Dundee "Now that's a knife".
Ha Ha that was the best line in the movie :lol:
Do you think it's a bowie or just a really big knife ?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Leggo I would be the last person to ask that question of as I am not a fixed blade guy. I couldn't tell you whether it's abowie or not but it is certainly a whopper of a knife. Almost looks like a small sword.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

For a discussion of what makes a Bowie I cannot recommend too highly the writings of Bill Bagwell: Bowies, Big Knives and the Best of Battle Blades. Contains some little known performance characteristics of a true Bowie.

Product Details
Bowies, Big Knives, And The Best Of Battle BladesNov 1, 2000
by Bill Bagwell
Paperback
$34.00Prime
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::dang:: I don't think there is any "hard and fast rules" as to what makes a "Bowie Knife" since all of the players are long dead. I was asked to make a customer a bowie a while back and said "what exactly do you want?" I managed to find a picture of what Jim Bowie supposedly used in the sand bar fight and it looked a lot like an over sized butcher knife, so that is what I made. Along with Jim Bowie, the knife shape and size are mostly today what people want it to be, a large, thick, clip point, and most have a double guard, and his history are mostly fiction based on a loose story from the memory of people long gone. I will send a photo of what I came up with, just a big a-- butcher knife, about 15" long and 1/4" thick, O-1 tool steel. ::mdm:: Terry
Attachments
gordie's 525 002.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

terryl308 wrote:::dang:: I don't think there is any "hard and fast rules" as to what makes a "Bowie Knife" since all of the players are long dead. I was asked to make a customer a bowie a while back and said "what exactly do you want?" I managed to find a picture of what Jim Bowie supposedly used in the sand bar fight and it looked a lot like an over sized butcher knife, so that is what I made. Along with Jim Bowie, the knife shape and size are mostly today what people want it to be, a large, thick, clip point, and most have a double guard, and his history are mostly fiction based on a loose story from the memory of people long gone. I will send a photo of what I came up with, just a big a-- butcher knife, about 15" long and 1/4" thick, O-1 tool steel. ::mdm:: Terry
Nice! did you make the sheath also?
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: Yes 98K, I make my own sheaths, self taught, couldn't find and saddle makers that wanted to screw with making a knife sheath, so bought some books and practice, practice, my first few were pretty crude, but after 16 years they are "passable" now I guess. Terry ::ds::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Terry - that is a good looking knife and sheath. If I saw that at a gun show, I would not consider it a Bowie. But I suspect you are right in that it is closer to what Bowie carried than a lot of modern Bowies.

This has been an interesting discussion. I have wondered about the original knife that Jim Bowie carried: just what did it look like. Was it small enough to be good for skinning and general knife uses, or was it big enough to use for chopping wood? He probably carried different knives at different times of his life, too.

Here is one of my favorite interpretations. Supposedly it is based on a knife made in the 1840s in Baton Rouge.
Attachments
Bowie225.jpg
Mel
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Dinadan wrote:Terry - that is a good looking knife and sheath. If I saw that at a gun show, I would not consider it a Bowie. But I suspect you are right in that it is closer to what Bowie carried than a lot of modern Bowies.

This has been an interesting discussion. I have wondered about the original knife that Jim Bowie carried: just what did it look like. Was it small enough to be good for skinning and general knife uses, or was it big enough to use for chopping wood? He probably carried different knives at different times of his life, too.

Here is one of my favorite interpretations. Supposedly it is based on a knife made in the 1840s in Baton Rouge.
I love that blade!
I've got this one from EIG Cutlery, Solingen. 5 1/8" blade
Similar, but not nearly as pretty as yours.
Attachments
EIG cutlery.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Cookyboy1

Post by Cookyboy1 »

My home made 8.5 "blade bowie .My first attempt at making one .
20160722_100406.jpg
1454626531556.jpg
20160207_223023-1.jpg

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”